Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what if I have a D??? ><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Not true -- Oxbridge have accepted some people with grades as low as 4A* 3A 2B or similar at GCSE and AABB at AS.
    I know but most of them do have a string of A or A* especially for the popular subject like law so I was just trying to point out that grades are not that significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    I know but most of them do have a string of A or A* especially for the popular subject like law so I was just trying to point out that grades are not that significant.
    Yep, I agree that grades are not that significant for Oxbridge, but it's not because everyone has the same near-perfect grades, there is still considerable variation.

ReputationRep:
    you might say high grades are a necessary but not a sufficient condition for entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Not true -- Oxbridge have accepted some people with grades as low as 4A* 3A 2B or similar at GCSE and AABB at AS.
    this is what i got AABB at AS tho 6A* 2A 2B for GCSE and i got in.....well got given an offer

i think with the grades they just want u to have a certain level, then after that they r looking for other things.

ReputationRep:
    yeh grades arent everything, they are looking for something more than just grades. i got 6A* (one was short course) 4A at gcse and AABB at AS and got an AAB offer this year. most ppl could be boring sods and just do work all the time never going out and get straight A's, but that's not what they're looking for.

(Original post by happysunshine)
    Some people aren't good communicators either and lack social skills. Maybe these are reasons people get rejected from Universities or maybe it's just luck.
    I hope oral communication skills aren't a major consideration otherwise I'm buggered. I wouldn't have thought it would affect how well you do in the degree that much, especially in a science or maths subject, but I suppose it might affect how much you would benefit from the degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    yeh grades arent everything, they are looking for something more than just grades. i got 6A* (one was short course) 4A at gcse and AABB at AS and got an AAB offer this year. most ppl could be boring sods and just do work all the time never going out and get straight A's, but that's not what they're looking for.
    Oi! I got 10A*s at GCSE and AAAAAA at AS and I'm not boring, nor do I work excessively except for a couple of weeks before examinations.... I do loads of extra-curricular stuff and I had so much on last summer hols that I only spent about twelve days at home. However I was still rejected by Oxford for one of the less competitive courses, so I must have been doing something wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I got 4A* 4A 2B at GCSE and AAAAB initially at AS and I was accepted. Just goes to show that grades aren't everything. Some people withg poorer grades might actually show more potential.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I must have not shown that potential; I got 11A* and 1A @ GCSE, 5As at AS, and 5 predicted As at A2, but still got rejected. (Oxford-maths).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    you might say high grades are a necessary but not a sufficient condition for entry.
    An intergral part of the selection process, but only one third of it. the other third is teh reference and teh interview. Actually the interview might be the "big" one.

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected for Psychology at Oxford just before Christmas. My grades are; 7A*s 6A's at GCSE, AAAA at As and AAAA for A2.
    I agree- I must have been missing something- I don't know what though coz I do loads of sport and music and work experience and voluntary work and all that. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly)
    I was rejected for Psychology at Oxford just before Christmas. My grades are; 7A*s 6A's at GCSE, AAAA at As and AAAA for A2.
    I agree- I must have been missing something- I don't know what though coz I do loads of sport and music and work experience and voluntary work and all that. Oh well.
    They tutors look at yuou in 2 ways for the interview:

1) Do I like to teach them?

2) Do they ahve the "spark" that bounces ideas off other people etc...

ReputationRep:
    I think that I was rejected because the tests I did at interview went badly.

ReputationRep:
    I got 11A*s at GCSE and 5As at AS but I am definately not boring. I'm always trying to try out new things.

I didn't think my interview went too well, but I guess I did enough since I got an offer for Nat Sci at Trinity. I think they are not looking for those with good grades or great musician/sport players. they are looking for those who could really get deeper into the subject- I think my Physics Olympiad result and my entry to the IYPT helps.

Course, its also luck too, it could just depend on who you got for interview and how nervous you were for that and any preceding tests.

Commiserations to all who failed to get an offer and well done to everyone who got one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    I hope oral communication skills aren't a major consideration otherwise I'm buggered. I wouldn't have thought it would affect how well you do in the degree that much, especially in a science or maths subject, but I suppose it might affect how much you would benefit from the degree.
    Oh don't worry :cool: I know nothing about all this University thing, I'm just a GCSE student :rolleyes: but I would think that if you just sat there not being talkative or not talking off your own back then you'd look pretty boring and you probably wouldn't stand out with your grades because everyone would have the same. Intelligent people are probably the biggest sufferers of not being able to communicate properly, I'm not sure why... maybe it's because of their dedication to their work or maybe they worked harder because they didn't mix well :confused:

I do think if your not socialble it could have an affect on your work if you're the type who gets sad if you don't feel your making friends. They probably have to choose people who will get on with the degree and the people.

When/if I go for interviews for university, I'll just hope my personality shines through without too much effort. If they don't want me then it would be their loss. That is do places such Warwick, Bath, Bristol, York, Durham etc. have verbal interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    That is do places such Warwick, Bath, Bristol, York, Durham etc. have verbal interviews?
    It depends on what course you want to do....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Oi Veedy! Yours are better than mine
    Sorry Aliel, I should have made myself clearer. I meant lowest GCSE's of anyone applying to my course at my college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    Sorry Aliel, I should have made myself clearer. I meant lowest GCSE's of anyone applying to my course at my college
    Did you have a test as well? You must have wowed your interviewers' socks off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Did you have a test as well? You must have wowed your interviewers' socks off
    Lol! No, we didn't have a test either, we had two send in two essays though. I dunno about wowing the interviewers , though I thought that they did go reasonably well at the time. The first one was great, had a great discussion, whereas the second was OK too, just not as good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    How do you know? I don't think we ever talked about grades while I was there.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.