Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    at least u'll find out why of oxford u got rejected ox sends every school details of why the person got rejected. i'll b interested to see what they said bout me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    you might say high grades are a necessary but not a sufficient condition for entry.
    i think neither neccesary nor sufficient but they do help a hell of a lot

ReputationRep:
    oops sorry alexander, I didn't mean everyone who gets all the highest grades are dull, just that some people are, which is why they probs get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    oops sorry alexander, I didn't mean everyone who gets all the highest grades are dull, just that some people are, which is why they probs get rejected.
    It could just be because of the cartloads of competition (normal for e.g. PPE or medicine) and in the end interviewers have to discriminate between applicants somehow - probably ends up being something small rather than an applicant being 'dull'

ReputationRep:
    i had 5 A's at AS level (100% in all exams in 3 subjects) when i applied, but it just turned out that i didn't put enough thought into my application, i applied to completely the wrong college to do a course i didnt want to do, and apparently they picked up on this (my head of 6th form rang up to see why i was rejected and was told that i had the grades and everything to get in but at my interview i didn't seem very enthusiastic about studying geography!)......error!

and can i just say that my friend had an offer of 3 A's and got an A, a C a D and a U.....she rang them up and cried down the phone, fed them some kind of sob story about her family being poor and her dad leaving and people dying and having to grow up on the mean streets of Liverpool......none of which was true (apart from the liverpool bit!) and they gave in and let her in!!! so grades aren't everything, you have to be able to lie aswell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    you might say high grades are a necessary but not a sufficient condition for entry.
    exactly i think we are done with this argument. as to your reason for being accepted, it is simply that you are better than every1 else

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm pretty confident that getting in takes a combination of:

- Bullying your teachers into writing certain things on reference
    - Learning the basic skills needed in an interview
    - Having the luck to come across things you're familiar with in interview and feigning otherwise.
    - Having a sob story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)

- Having the luck to come across things you're familiar with in interview and feigning otherwise.
    - Having a sob story.
    I only achieved one of those four (the basic skills) and still got in. You need to be very able and very enthusiastic, and that will more than likely be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    They tutors look at yuou in 2 ways for the interview:

1) Do I like to teach them?

2) Do they ahve the "spark" that bounces ideas off other people etc...
    'Teachability' is the characteristic a lot of tutors look for. Whether that's right or wrong is arguable but it's certainly a big factor for many. Interestingly it doesn't tend to appear on the selection criteria all Oxford depts now publish.

Re. GSCE results: someone with a very good set of results like 11 A*s has a very strong starting point below that tutors recognise that some very able people underperform at GCSE. More worry about sub A performance at AS.

Any tests set count a lot - tutors trust their own tests!!! A few get in on the strength of the interview but most have more than one strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyBlue)
    and can i just say that my friend had an offer of 3 A's and got an A, a C a D and a U.....she rang them up and cried down the phone, fed them some kind of sob story about her family being poor and her dad leaving and people dying and having to grow up on the mean streets of Liverpool......none of which was true (apart from the liverpool bit!) and they gave in and let her in!!! so grades aren't everything, you have to be able to lie aswell!
    u being serious?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    How do you know? I don't think we ever talked about grades while I was there.
    Neither were we really, but someone was talking about the admissions process when we were all together and he said something like I bet everyone here has amazing GCSE's and I said no, not me, whereas everyone else just nodded their heads. I guess someone could have had lower GCSE's but may have been too embarassed to say, but I doubt it. However, you never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)

- Having a sob story.
    You're not serious about this list - are you?
    Bullying your teachers - to write what certain things?
    Feigning what and how?
    Having a sob story - what does this mean? Taking advantage of compassion/human kindness from your interviewers? That really sucks.
    I would say that any uni that accepts someone who would stoop to low tricks to gain admission rather than on their own pure merit would be all the poorer for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    You're not serious about this list - are you?
    Bullying your teachers - to write what certain things?
    Feigning what and how?
    Having a sob story - what does this mean? Taking advantage of compassion/human kindness from your interviewers? That really sucks.
    I would say that any uni that accepts someone who would stoop to low tricks to gain admission rather than on their own pure merit would be all the poorer for it.
    Haha well said. I'd never go that low and tell them a sob story even if I had a genuine one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    u being serious?????
    yep i am, i was really annoyed at that, especially since i didnt get an offer in the first place yet i got the grades to go!! but that was just me being bitter at the time!
    anyway if she can convince Oxford to let her in with those grades, i think shes shown that she definately has the skills it takes to succeed in this world!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.