Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel really motivated to pick up another AS subject next year, but I'm not sure what to go for. I'm going to try and enter as a private candidate.
    I've read a few Psychology and Sociology books and am very interested in the subjects, but the couple of specifications I looked at seem to require coursework - not good for a private candidate. Has anyone studied an AS Psychology or Sociology course where this wasn't the case? Another question: do you think learning the course is doable without teaching, as long as I have the right books? I know some subjects are easier to pick up by yourself than others; are these good examples?

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to do coursework in AQA Psychology, and in AQA Sociology you can choose an exam option rather than a coursework one.

I don't have any experience of Psychology but I think you could probably do Sociology on your own, if you had the right books and enough enthusiasm. You'd need to be very clued up on the syllabus and markschemes, but certainly at AS it wouldn't be too hard to do it alone I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mishael)
    You don't have to do coursework in AQA Psychology, and in AQA Sociology you can choose an exam option rather than a coursework one.

I don't have any experience of Psychology but I think you could probably do Sociology on your own, if you had the right books and enough enthusiasm. You'd need to be very clued up on the syllabus and markschemes, but certainly at AS it wouldn't be too hard to do it alone I don't think.
    Mishael is right, AQA sociology has the option for an exam rather than coursework (which I had to do). It is one of the subjects you can learn from books, but it would be good to borrow notes from someone who did AS sociology in your year. One problem you may face is exam technique, but as long as you get the right books, you won't have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I picked up an extra subject at year 13, and I could handle it. I would pick whatever subject interests you. I did an extra AS in year 13, and has a coursework element, my teacher marked it for me.

You should enter the exams via your school, and they pay the fee for you. This is what happens in my school when I picked up an AS in year 13.

If you are considering Psychology or Sociology, you could ask your teacher about questions when you are self studying, and when you need help on coursework.

ReputationRep:
    You can do a research methods exam instead of the coursework in AQA sociology and I'd say it's possible to teach yourself, but make you sure you do some past papers and if possible find a sociology teacher to mark them for you so you have an idea of how you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Try and ask the teachers to enter the exams in January if possible, so the AS exams won't conflict with your A2 exams in June. If you do the AS exams in June along with your A2 exams, it will be a lot to revise.

ReputationRep:
    What does "private candidate" mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    What does "private candidate" mean?
    A student who does the subject on their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    A student who does the subject on their own.
    But does the college still pay for their entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    But does the college still pay for their entry?
    Yes. I did an extra AS-level by myself, and the school paid the fees for me. If you do a resit on them, you need to pay.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my college would let me though; they are very keen on getting people in classrooms to teach them. Unfortunately I'm the sort of person who learns a LOT better when I'm by myself, in my house with a pile of books. I find it difficult to keep focus in a classroom and it would waste too much time in an already busy timetable since I can't take in information at an allotted time, when I'm supposed to. However obviously I would still require support if I was a private candidate. If they did agree to enter me for the exams, do you think it would be taking liberties to ask for homework sheets and a teacher to mark them along with others? I don't even know any of the teachers in that department; it's such a huge college.
    Also apparently 1600 applied for Psychology AS this year, and this is the subject I most have my heart set on. I can't see them wanting a second year in a class meant for first years when it's already oversubscribed.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.