Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just done my GCSEs and I am planning on starting my school's 6th form in September.

I've just found out the As/A Level results for my 6th form, and for some reason they are really bad I don't know why - they're usually are pretty good (not amazing but above average). Now I'm getting a bit panicky because for a start, if the A Level results are bad, the GCSE ones will probably be bad too (noooo!!) and also, should I now think twice about staying at my schools 6th form in September??

The alternative 6th form (which I haven't applied to but it's probably not too late) is one of the best in the country but it's 10 times the size my my schools 6th form and it's supposedly not very personal. Also, it would involve buying a £400 bus pass each year!!!

My school 6th form, however, is walking distance, the teachers are great (well, I thought they were before I found out the A level results....) and I just wanted to go there.

But should I reconsider now? Grrr!! Why is this so annoying - I thought A Level results were nothing to do with me but now I'm realising they kinda are.

Please advise, MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form had an average point score per candidate of approximately 120 according to the BBC news website yet I still did fine in my A-Levels and AEA.
    If you put in the required effort you're likely to come out with results you deserve regardless of the standard of teaching. If you think the teachers aren't pushing you enough though you will need to motivate yourself in order to obtain the top grades.
    Good luck in the next academic year

ReputationRep:
    My school also has pretty bad results, but in my opinion its not because the teachers aren't good, it's because the students aren't. At the end of the day, I know most of the teachers who will be teaching me and they are all good, and I know if I put the effort in then I will get good grades, but it is in large part down to me. So I would say go to your sixth form as long as you are prepared to put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    Your imagination and determination will set how high you will be able to go.

The sky's the limit, but only if you put the work in yourself, keep going, and remain positive.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies they made me feel better.

I think one of the reasons the results are falling is because more and more of the intelligent people are going to the other college I mentioned, so my 6th form is left with more people who don't care that much about their grades (compared to other people)....hmmm

Thanks for your replies anyway!

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    Inthe end you will be able to get as high a mark as anyone else regardless of your 6th form. If your lessons arent that good maybe just do alittle work at home and you'll do fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as long as you work hard and so on.

Also, think of it this way - if you come out with good grades, they'll be considered better if they come from not-the-best-in-the-world sixth form than if you came from Colyton Grammer with their 4 A average.

ReputationRep:
    you can't blame the college, if the students did nothing all year then it's hardly the school's fault don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, thanks everyone for your replies. I'm pretty convinced I should stay at my 6th form now

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    lol mine was the opposite. mine had GREAT results for the year befoe me... but my year group's just got an ATROCIOUS set of results.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.