Turn on thread page Beta

Defining/labelling someone as antisemitic watch

ReputationRep:
    Despite the use of the prefix "anti," the terms Semitic and Anti-Semitic are not antonyms. To avoid the confusion of the misnomer, many scholars on the subject (such as Emil Fackenheim of the Hebrew University) now favor the unhyphenated term antisemitism. Yehuda Bauer articulated this view in his writings and lectures: (the term) "Antisemitism, especially in its hyphenated spelling, is inane nonsense, because there is no Semitism that you can be anti to." [1], also in his A History of the Holocaust, p.52)

The term anti-Semitism has historically referred to prejudice towards Jews alone, and this was the only use of this word for more than a century. It does not traditionally refer to prejudice toward other people who speak Semitic languages (e.g. Arabs or Assyrians). Bernard Lewis, Professor of Near Eastern Studies Emeritus at Princeton University, says that "Anti-Semitism has never anywhere been concerned with anyone but Jews."[2]

In recent decades certain pro-Arabists have argued that the term should be extended to include prejudice against Arabs, Anti-Arabism, in the context of accusations of Arab anti-Semitism. The argument for such extension comes out of the claim that since the Semitic linguistic family includes Arabic, Hebrew and Aramaic languages, and the historical term "Semite" refers to all those who consider themselves decendents of the Biblical Shem, anti-Semitism should be likewise inclusive. This usage is not generally accepted.

ReputationRep:
    So antisemitism is definitely going to be anti-jew here on TSR to prevent confusion on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I think it's pretty clear that the only reason some people want the term anti-Semite to apply to Arabs as well as Jews, is so that they can claim not to be anti-Semitic as they either are or support Arabs.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Anti-Jewish is a better word, and I'm happy to admit that I'm no fan of the supremacist 'religion of race', the ethnic people I treat as individuals - I like Nigella for example. I see double standards and clear bias all the time on this board, that's human nature, no big deal. It's usually pretty friendly and I never see any hate.

One thing I noted in the earlier thread, gemgems' "Jewish" quote about saving one life being equivalent to saving the entire world. It may in this case be a genuine error, but it isn't always.

The real words of the Talmud are "For this reason was man created alone, to teach thee that whosoever destroys a single soul of Israel, scripture imputes [guilt] to him as though he had destroyed a complete world; and whosoever preserves a single soul of Israel, scripture ascribes [merit] to him as though he had preserved a complete world," Tractate Sanhedrin 37a, from the Soncino Press Babylonian Talmud, the first complete English translation.

When Spielberg and co. used the 'nice' quote in Schindler’s list, grateful Jews giving Schindler a ring with the edited passage inscribed, and on the posters advertising the movie, many in schools, it wasn’t very nice now was it?

Covering up the anti-gentile sentiment which is so central to religious Judaism, to better push a movie about Jewish victimhood and gentile anti-semitism is pretty appalling (and racist) behaviour. Surely the Rabbis involved as advisers noticed the fudge?

A (Jewish) Conspiracy of silence?

ReputationRep:
    Considering that the section in question is a discussion of the Israel's legal system's evidenciary requirements for capital cases, it would only make sense that the lives being talked about would be Israeli lives (as in, the level of proof for capital crimes should be very high since we don't want to kill an innocent men). Trying to twist facts now?

How were the witnesses inspired with awe? Witnesses in capital charges were brought in and intimidated [thus]: perhaps what ye say is based only on conjecture, or hearsay, or is evidence from the mouth of another witness, or even from the mouth of a trustworthy person: perhaps ye are unaware that ultimately we shall scrutinize your evidence by cross examination and inquiry? Know then that capital cases are not like monetary cases. In civil suits, one can make monetary restitution and thereby effect his atonement; but in capital cases he is held responsible for his blood [sc. The accused's] and the blood of his [potential] descendants until the end of time, for thus we find in the case of Cain, who killed his brother, that it is written: the bloods of thy brother cry unto me: not the blood of thy brother, but the bloods of thy brother, is said — i.e., his blood and the blood of his [potential] descendants. (alternatively, the bloods of thy brother, teaches that his blood was splashed over trees and stones.) for this reason was man created alone, to teach thee that whosoever destroys a single soul of Israel, scripture imputes [guilt] to him as though he had destroyed a complete world; and whosoever preserves a single soul of Israel, scripture ascribes [merit] to him as though he had preserved a complete world. furthermore, [he was created alone] for the sake of peace among men, that one might not say to his fellow, 'my father was greater than thine, and that the minim

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.