This discussion is closed.
cactussed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shut up, you have no idea how lucky you are to have the NHS. My mum works in the NHS and it's people like you who keep driving morale down against people who are doing their best to provide the best care possible under some quite strained funding. One woman even complained because one of the mugs she was served a cup of tea in was chipped at the bottom, i.e. her lips wouldn't even touch the chip. Yes, there are waits, but the lists are far far down on what they were even just 10 years ago, at least for the London/SE care trusts which have to deal with the most people. I highly doubt it's months and months recurring like you say.
iced_07
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
The NHS has finite resources - rationing - if you don't think it's good enough, there are plenty of private hospitals/providers that are happy to take your money - feel free to visit them
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by geminibubblegum)
No the NHS is awesome
It's quite quick to get a referral, the doctors are well trained, prescriptions are the same price no matter what the medicine and it's free!

go tell someone without any health insurance/provision this and they'll tell you how lucky you are
I'm sorry, but this will always come down to your personal experiences...if you've only had lousy experiences with the NHS then 'awesome' is not the word you're going to use to describe it.
Lord Wilson
Report 10 years ago
If you don't like it, don't use it, simple as! Otherwise it does the job for the vast majority of people!
hay.hay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can someone please explain to me the 'bad experiences' they've had with the NHS?

I mean I don't want private and personal details but everyone just says they where poorly treated or had a bad experience and never really explain what they mean by this.
The Referee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hay.hay)
Can someone please explain to me the 'bad experiences' they've had with the NHS?

I mean I don't want private and personal details but everyone just says they where poorly treated or had a bad experience and never really explain what they mean by this.
Wrong tests after a long wait (multiple cancellations by the hospital), incorrect interpretation of test results, botched surgery (permanent consequences, even after having corrective surgery privately), given medication I was allergic to in spite of it being listed in my notes and being re-iterated to (and noted by) my surgeon (putting me in intensive care as a result) all topped off by a flat refusal to even try and sort out the damage they caused because said damage wasn't life threatening.
RiverRubble
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Read my post above. Sort of commented on here it but I haven't gone into detail on either posts, it's a bit more than what I've said.

To everyone else: Stop having a dig at her. You don't know what treatment she's talking about and the NHS isn't always great. That's not fair to tell her she doesn't deserve it. Do I not deserve treatment anymore just because they refused to help me after a nervous breakdown and I'm not that fond of them? No.
chrisoz
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jingers)
Seriously, people like you don't deserve free healthcare.
Agree!

How ungrateful are some people! tut tut
hay.hay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Referee)
Wrong tests after a long wait (multiple cancellations by the hospital), incorrect interpretation of test results, botched surgery (permanent consequences, even after having corrective surgery privately), given medication I was allergic to in spite of it being listed in my notes and being re-iterated to (and noted by) my surgeon (putting me in intensive care as a result) all topped off by a flat refusal to even try and sort out the damage they caused because said damage wasn't life threatening.
Wow. See I could understand how you would have issues with the NHS!

I would have thought this a lot of this could happen just the same with private heath care though? It is a lot of human error. The refusal to correct their mistake is awful though.

I was only asking because people complain about waiting times mostly and I was just curious about other issues. I have seen a fair few mistakes made and have seen people being mistreated by NHS staff so was wondering if it was similar things.
Peace'n'loveman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by StarShine*)
It keeps people waiting for months after months after months after month after months after month after months after month after months........:blah: The GPs are mostly too reluctant to treat patients (well the ones I know anyway!) Ok fine its free...bt stilll!
Just wanted to correct a misconception here. The nhs isn't free .From its inception the idea was that it is free at the point of delivery.The original idea is that would be paid for via national insurance stamp.There was no real concept then of a something for nothing society-i believe that malingering ie not actively looking for work when unemployed was a criminal offence up until the wilson govt of the mid/late sixties. I am no supporter of the labour govt,but waiting lists have dropped considerably since 1997.
Yes the more GPs get the less they seem to do
StarShine*
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
Read my post above. Sort of commented on here it but I haven't gone into detail on either posts, it's a bit more than what I've said.

To everyone else: Stop having a dig at her. You don't know what treatment she's talking about and the NHS isn't always great. That's not fair to tell her she doesn't deserve it. Do I not deserve treatment anymore just because they refused to help me after a nervous breakdown and I'm not that fond of them? No.
Yes thanks hannah_dru. Like you said it depends on what kind of treatment you have had from the NHS. Not everyone is as sick as others and when they are I don’t find them to be all that helpful. I am grateful, it’s just most of the time I find them to be so ignorant and reluctant....
I know this women who is currently in intensive care and after surgery she didn’t wake up for two weeks. Off course the nurses and doctors kept checking up on her but when she did wake up her daughter came to visit her....and guess what she finds? Her mothers whole leg turned blue (for some reason I can’t explain because I am not a doctor) and when she complained to the nurses and doctors for lack of care to acknowledge that the doctors simply said, well im sorry but we have to amputate the leg now! I mean where is the ******************************** *** justice in that! Oh and the NHS is not free”” because we pay for it through tax. Its good there is an NHS, they just need to sort it out to improve it!
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by StarShine*)
Yes thanks hannah_dru. Like you said it depends on what kind of treatment you have had from the NHS. Not everyone is as sick as others and when they are I don’t find them to be all that helpful. I am grateful, it’s just most of the time I find them to be so ignorant and reluctant....
I know this women who is currently in intensive care and after surgery she didn’t wake up for two weeks. Off course the nurses and doctors kept checking up on her but when she did wake up her daughter came to visit her....and guess what she finds? Her mothers whole leg turned blue (for some reason I can’t explain because I am not a doctor) and when she complained to the nurses and doctors for lack of care to acknowledge that the doctors simply said, well im sorry but we have to amputate the leg now! I mean where is the ******************************** *** justice in that! Oh and the NHS is not free”” because we pay for it through tax. Its good there is an NHS, they just need to sort it out to improve it!
Me too in both respects. I'm greatful for them but sometimes they really need improving. That's awful that they didn't notice that though, the poor woman!
TheBlindestPilot
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The NHS is by no means free.
The Referee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow. See I could understand how you would have issues with the NHS!

I would have thought this a lot of this could happen just the same with private heath care though? It is a lot of human error. The refusal to correct their mistake is awful though.

I was only asking because people complain about waiting times mostly and I was just curious about other issues. I have seen a fair few mistakes made and have seen people being mistreated by NHS staff so was wondering if it was similar things.
It could happen when you go private, but what happened to me wasn't 'human error' (or at least not just human error) it was basic incompetence and lack of attention to detail combined with a neglect to read my notes.

I could have accepted that the operation just went wrong...it's a risk you take...but we're not talking complications, my surgeon screwed up and tried to cover it up. How did I end up being given medication to which it's known that I have a serious reaction, when the list of what I'm allergic to was on a notice board above my bed? I'm not sure what you'd call that, but it's more than just 'human error'.

People have different gripes...a lot a relatively minor but a few of us have good reason to be unhappy.

All that said, the nurses were excellent - the ICU Sister especially deserved a medal for the patience she had dealing with a patient who was very scared, very sick, in a lot of pain and furious that so much had gone so badly wrong.
EffieFlowers
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't be ridiculous. Look at Americas healthcare and be bloody grateful for what you have. Or go private if it bothers you so much. Stop whining.
lovely_me
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The NHS is an amazing, jiving uniquely British thing and I'm very proud of it.

No it's not perfect but compared to some countries (OK I'll say it the US, where it costs thousands for even a very simple OP) the NHS is awesome. My dad lives in America and he said if he gets ill he's coming home, because honestly it's ridiculous.
I think it's very unethical for companies to try and make money out of people's illnesses anyway. Long live the NHS
Muffinz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The NHS is amazing - I've only ever had problems with it once, yesterday, however the problem was caused by a medical supplier not sending particular items to the chemist, which meant I had to go to the hospital and try to scab some off them, etc etc. Overall, though, they're brilliant.
OrmondDrone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
NHS treatment saved my life and my family didn't get a bloody big bill for my care. The NHS rocks as far as I am concerned. Sure, improvements could be made but lets work to improve it rather than moan and denigrate it.
greatmonte
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what do you mean GPs are reluctant to treat people all the gps/doctors i shadowed were amazing and always tried their best for their patients the only time patients would get annoyed with the GP is when they didnt understand why the GP was withholding treatments eg a mum who complained when 1 gp didnt give her son antibiotics when he didnt need them. and any shortcomings of your GPs is not an indicator of a system as a whole. also the whole waiting list fiasco has been tackled by the NHS and although in some cases it is quite bad it ino where near as bad now as the media make it out to be.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (53)
40.46%
Take autumn exams (49)
37.4%
Look for a job (3)
2.29%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
2.29%
Take a year out (15)
11.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
6.11%

Watched Threads