This discussion is closed.
StarShine*
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Jadelyndsey)
I hate the NHS :/

Last year, i went swimming, and i used the diving boards. As i dived, my right foot hit the board as it jolted back up, and i fell 20ft into the pool. I belly flopped the water, which, by the way, hurt like a *****, and sank to the bottom of the 12 foot pool. All i could feel was just really sharp pain all the way up my right foot, and i couldnt swim properly to surface for air. Lifeguards laughed and left me because my mates were laughing, but when i surfaced i told them something was wrong, anyways sorry i have a habbit of making things longer then they need to be...

Needless to say i got took to hospital, where they xrayed my foot, and a student fracture nurse told me there was nothing there, and that i probably just sprained it. She asked if we would like a second opinion, so we got one, again with a STUDENT fracture NURSE, no experts at all here, and he said exactly the same thing. no breaks. I went 10 days in absaloute pain, and had to do a certain amount of random stretches and foot exercises each day. Went back to hospital because my foot became severely mis-shapen after the swelling had gone down, and a fracture experty person examined exactly the same xray, I had actually broken 4 metatarcels in 2 places, with 2 metatarcels comepletely snapped in 2.

I now have a horrible dopey crippled foot, which goes limp if i try to run, or do hard exercise for more then 30 minutes. So yes i hate the NHS Also, the time they told me i had tonsilitus when i actually had glandular fever which made me pass out in my sleep because of lack of nutrients and water because my tonsils had swollen shut. Oh, also, the time where my little sister had a fit on the floor and they said it was normal for a toddler to do this if they had a fever, she ended up being diagnosed with meninjitus and in hospital for weeks, and then developed frontal lobe imbalance/impairment, which is a type of brain dammage :/ Hmm, also, the time where they said my grandad didnt need to be in hospital, so that night he ended up having a severe heart attack and died two days later.

I suppose you could say i actually hate the NHS. Image
sorry to here about all of that. I dont know what it is....do doctors and nurses get paid less in the NHS compared to the private sector?
Jadelyndsey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by StarShine*)
sorry to here about all of that. I dont know what it is....do doctors and nurses get paid less in the NHS compared to the private sector?
I didnt mean to seek sympathy lol, sorry haha

Erm i believe they do, I mean, the NHS staff also have to get through a hell of a lot more people, in a lot less time then in the private sector, so i suppose that could be a factor too :yes:
tinktinktinkerbell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lets face it its not really 'free healthcare' is it as we all pay for it through tax

ive had (well not me personally but those i know) mainly bad experiences with the NHS

grandad was misdiagnosed TWICE after having two heart attacks

cousin was misdiagnosed, had appendicitus and got told he had food poisoning, by the time they got him into hospital (thanks to his dad saying sod this im calling an ambulance) and into the operating theater his organs were failing

bf while in hospital getting chemo had some *****y, *****sh nurse say to him 'well its ok for you sitting there getting waiting on hand and foot, ive got to work 12 hours' ******* disgusting and im just pleased i wasnt there, its comments like that that make me understand some volience against nhs staff

doctors told my mam she had parkinsons, then didnt, then maybe did, then didnt and then that they wernt and still arnt sure what shes got, they are also taking their sweet time over councelling for her depression
WBoy92
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I absolutely hate the NHS - thanks to them I have lost my entire hearing in my right ear, and now I have to have checkups every 3 months which are always delayed by another 3 months
Intensity
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate the NHS. I'm not going to put my reasons because i'll be here until midnight.

I also hate private healthcare, due to the fact that it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. Thanks to my crappy body - a lot of things aren't covered for me. So i'm paying, but i'm stuck with the NHS for the most part. Ugh.
ThePossum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The NHS has always been pretty much perfect with me, and I've had surgery etc since I was a few days old, so I've definitely been in and around a hospital enough, well to be honest I'm in a hospital fairly often. And I'm also due to get major surgery in September too, and they've been great with me answering all my queries and helping me in any way they can. I think it's probably a matter of hospital and staff rather than the NHS as one whole thing, as in my area I get great treatment and nobody I know has any complaints. And also, if you don't like the NHS, go private dickweed. I'm sure SebWillis agrees, as he spends many nights with me in the Possum Cave.
SebWillis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ThePossum)
The NHS has always been pretty much perfect with me, and I've had surgery etc since I was a few days old, so I've definitely been in and around a hospital enough, well to be honest I'm in a hospital fairly often. And I'm also due to get major surgery in September too, and they've been great with me answering all my queries and helping me in any way they can. I think it's probably a matter of hospital and staff rather than the NHS as one whole thing, as in my area I get great treatment and nobody I know has any complaints. And also, if you don't like the NHS, go private dickweed. I'm sure SebWillis agrees, as he spends many nights with me in the Possum Cave.
Yeah! And to put it into perspective, (I know people have said this already, but I feel it should be reiterated) you should be thankful we have the NHS instead of the USA's ridiculous medical system.
Neostigmine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to hate the NHS and then I started working for them. People just decide they "hate" the NHS because of a bad experience etc etc. And yes, it has it's shortcomings, but on the whole, it does an incredible job. I work in A&E and of the 1000's of people that come in each month, 99% will be seen and treated, lives saved, limbs rebuilt, etc etc and no-one ever says anything. Very rarely are people even thankful and tend to be quite the opposite, getting angry at the doctors/nurses for time waiting etc.

The NHS helps so much more than it harms and yet no-one recognises this.

Unfortunately there are the occasional problems, some are the fault of staff, some are the fault of being short staffed but it is a huge organisation and it has its problems.

With regards to things like xrays not being checked ([quote
jadelyndsay][/quote]) this is an issue with a particular department in a particular hospital. At mine, all xrays are reviewed by a consultant radiographer within a few days of the patient being seen/discharged/admitted etc. To decide to hate the whole NHS is a big jump.
musicmad123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you don't like it, pay for private treatment... no one is forcing you to use the free healthcare :L
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No its worse if you want to be a nurse in the private sector, you loose your pension..and if you want to go back into the NHS you start at square one on the pay scale, plus it's one of the most boringest jobs out there..I spent 4 weeks on an elective surgical ward in the private sector, was BORING. Doctors naturally get paid more..they can pretty much set their own fees, but not the nurses
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All of these posts are so ridiculous...

1. student fracture nurse, wtf!? lol
2. The NHS is to blame for being human? Do you have any idea or medical training to even know how hard it is to diagnose and decide a course of treatment? Medicine is not perfect, and a hell of a lot of it is down to trial and error. Yes, things get missed..Yes, people do get let down at the last minute, but try and be a tiny bit thankful you got the tests without an additional cost, and there were people working for YOU to try and get something done- hell it may not have been what you wanted, something might have happened...but if this was another country, and your family were unemployed..you'd never even have been SEEN. I've had poor treatment on the NHS, i got prescribed diclofenac last week even though i had severe vomiting and had asthmatic reactions to ibuprofen..it was a **** up on the doctors part. Will I still seek NHS treatment- yes. Because even though you may not realise I spend around 40 hours a week with the most vulnerable of our society, helping them get better, gain independance and come to terms with illnesses or conditions- and some of these people have been let down bigger than the NHS, dumped by families, forgotten by nursing homes and yet they're still grateful for every single thing we do for them and never question. This generation has become so ungrateful, and expect things being handed on a plate...well guess what guys, welcome to the real world. If you don't like it, vote tory
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
God bless the NHS!

People love to moan about it, but I'd like to see them (the overwhelming majority) pay for private healthcare.
You can guarantee for the majority on here, ie generally middle class future university graduates, they'd be paying a hell of a lot less getting private insurance than the NHS costs them.
Haft_Hasht_Shish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I meant the "proles" but I should have made that clearer.
Ministerdonut
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't hate the NHS,but I do believe it is in very poor shape and needs vast changes made to how it operates. I believe in a nationalised health service,but I believe tough decisions need to be made on how we fund it and for who. I don't think the NHS in it's current form is sustainable in the long term and I think even now patients live are being lost unnecessarily.And recent reports in the media prove me right on that.

I think those who just compare it to americas health system and say we are 'better off' so quit moaning, are being ignorant at best. Why would I want to replace the NHS with another countries health system which also has serious deficiencies?.They remind me of the idiots in America like Glenn Beck who **** off the NHS, and use it to scare people, in the states but kind of in reverse. Also US health care provision varies from state to state.I would take the state of pennslvannia's health system over the NHS any day of the week .

And when I have got excellent service from the NHS I have thanked the staff, even though ,they had to help me because a previous doctor had misdiagnosed me.But despite that I recieved excellent care and I thanked them. even wrote a letter praising them to hospital management.
Ministerdonut
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
All of these posts are so ridiculous...

1. student fracture nurse, wtf!? lol
2. The NHS is to blame for being human? Do you have any idea or medical training to even know how hard it is to diagnose and decide a course of treatment? Medicine is not perfect, and a hell of a lot of it is down to trial and error. Yes, things get missed..Yes, people do get let down at the last minute, but try and be a tiny bit thankful you got the tests without an additional cost, and there were people working for YOU to try and get something done- hell it may not have been what you wanted, something might have happened...but if this was another country, and your family were unemployed..you'd never even have been SEEN. I've had poor treatment on the NHS, i got prescribed diclofenac last week even though i had severe vomiting and had asthmatic reactions to ibuprofen..it was a **** up on the doctors part. Will I still seek NHS treatment- yes. Because even though you may not realise I spend around 40 hours a week with the most vulnerable of our society, helping them get better, gain independance and come to terms with illnesses or conditions- and some of these people have been let down bigger than the NHS, dumped by families, forgotten by nursing homes and yet they're still grateful for every single thing we do for them and never question. This generation has become so ungrateful, and expect things being handed on a plate...well guess what guys, welcome to the real world. If you don't like it, vote tory

You could also perhaps make a point that this generation of females is also partly responsible for the stories of poor nursing in hospitals. Because due to feminism nurses believe certain work in hospital wards is beneath them. This comment I am making by the way was orginally made by a nurse in the Daily telegraph. And a **** up on a doctors part could have life threatening concequences, which is why people are harsh. They are dealing with peoples lives, so people will have a higher expectation.If someone dislikes that, go and work in tescos.

And I will be voting UKIP.
WhereIsMyMind
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by musicmad123)
if you don't like it, pay for private treatment... no one is forcing you to use the free healthcare :L
It's NOT FREE!

FFS, some people. :rolleyes:
unknownrebalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It keeps people waiting for months after months after months after month after months after month after months after month after months........:blah: The GPs are mostly too reluctant to treat patients (well the ones I know anyway!)

Edit: Fine its not that bad....but it still needs big time improvement...I cant say that I have been happy with their service though. Depends on each indivitual and how they've been treated.
It's free health care! It's bound to not be the best but the NHS is known as the best healthcare in the world as everyone receives it, the average waiting time is 6 weeks (this can be longer in other countries) and it's getting better all the time!
I'm glad that we have it and it's not that bad! :yes:
Plus we have the choice of going private if we don't like it (which I would do if I had the money-its cleaner and quicker and the doctors spend more time on you).
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't hate the NHS by any stretch of the imagination.

I admit, plenty could be improved, but on the whole it's excellent. I would like to see improvements in waiting times, misdiagnosis', use of IT, infection control and general patient care.

But then look at what it does offer - you're paying taxes for it yes, but still probably cheaper than you'd pay for private healthcare in a country where a "free" healthcare system wasn't in place, a huge array of services including the only national Stop Smoking service of its kind in the world, a clean and pleasant environment to stay in, services like free TV, radio, phone and Internet in many wards, and so forth.

Also consider the scale of the NHS though. The NHS treats 1.5million patients every day - can the same be said about other free healthcare services?
wardle1337
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, definately not. It's one of the main reasons why I consider the UK one of the most civilized and developed contries in the modern world. Sure it has its problems, but what system doesn't? I can't even count how many people I know whos lives have been saved by the NHS...

Would you rather live in America where they may throw you out of a hospital if you can't pay your bills? Or be refused treatment because you forgot your insurance details?

The fact that something so precious such as life is dependant on your bank balance is frankly appauling... Healthcare should be something which trancends class, race and income. It should be a duty for your fellow man help others who are in a worse position than others medically, in that aspect the NHS does a cracking job...

Cheers
Ministerdonut
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wardle1337)
No, definitely not. It's one of the main reasons why I consider the UK one of the most civilized and developed contries in the modern world. Sure it has its problems, but what system doesn't? I can't even count how many people I know whos lives have been saved by the NHS...

Would you rather live in America where they may throw you out of a hospital if you can't pay your bills? Or be refused treatment because you forgot your insurance details?

The fact that something so precious such as life is dependant on your bank balance is frankly appauling... Healthcare should be something which trancends class, race and income. It should be a duty for your fellow man help others who are in a worse position than others medically, in that aspect the NHS does a cracking job...

Cheers
You do know that provision of heath care in america differs from state to state?. There are several states, pennsylvania for instance that has in my opinion a much superior system to the NHS.And to be honest comparing our worsening health care system, tearing apart due to poor managing, overcrowding and an aging population which is putting increasing pressure on the NHS,to a terrible health care system in some cases in the states,, ,then saying we could have it worse is frankly wrong.

Iam sorry but as a British citizen I don't feel it is my duty to pay for abortions for feckless women, sex change operations , health care for illegal immigrants, the treatment of drunks at A and E (they should be fined imo jamie olivier agrees with me), or operations for those who cannot eat sensibly. In fact it leaves a rather bitter taste in ones mouth.

And don't believe everything you watch in Michael Moores sicko. He has made his career out of taking some truth and then exaggerating it to suit his position. Look at the 911 movie he made, which was later found to have many inaccuracies at best, lies at worst.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (59)
42.14%
Take autumn exams (49)
35%
Look for a job (3)
2.14%
Consider an apprenticeship (4)
2.86%
Take a year out (17)
12.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.71%

Watched Threads