Turn on thread page Beta

Who wants to ban Harry Pothead and LOTR threads watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else want to see Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings threads banned? Probably best would be to give them their own space in a different part of the forum. Maybe we could call this the GEEK section or perhaps the NERD forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    Does anybody else want to see Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings threads banned? Probably best would be to give them their own space in a different part of the forum. Maybe we could call this the GEEK section or perhaps the NERD forum.
    not that i want to be rude but i disagree
    if people love a book movie y not let them talk about it? you dont HAVE to read the posts

ReputationRep:
    i dont think they shud be banned. i like hp but not lotr but i can tolerate it. if thats what people wanna talk about then they can. as long as people dont get silly and start tons of threads to get on peoples nerves it shud be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Beaver can only hope to improve.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else want to see Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings threads banned?
    No

ReputationRep:
    What would be the point of banning them, or even giving them their own section. The whole point of the forum is to put it forward to everyone isn't it? If you don't want to read about it, then don't click the mouse over it. Surely you have enough coordination not to make that mistake more than a few times Mr Beaver.

ReputationRep:
    Why ban them? They're not doing any harm. If you don't like it, don't look at it!

ReputationRep:
    can't ban a topic cos you dont like the subject, personlly love lotr but havent read harry potter.

as a compromise, why not have a new poll with other famous books/authors on- people can vote for their favourite, and the winner gets a sticky (right term?) thread about that book? (someone with higher post count than me can persaude edders or someone )

my proposals:

catch 22
    maybe a dickens thread (too many good books to choose)
    other fantasy/sci fi
    i dunno, maybe a fave non fiction thread (my vote is small is beautiful)

whats everybody think?
    can this be done?

ReputationRep:
    i agree. it's not doing any harm at all. it isn't bothering u so why ban it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    i agree. it's not doing any harm at all. it isn't bothering u so why ban it.

It's not even like there are lots of threads on the two books after all. I can understand why people moaned about the Oxbridge stuff cos it was all over the place, but why moan about what are essentially just two threads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    It's not even like there are lots of threads on the two books after all. I can understand why people moaned about the Oxbridge stuff cos it was all over the place, but why moan about what are essentially just two threads?
    thats right. plus there are more "I hate Harry Potter" threads then there are threads from fans.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech! Freedom of thought! Freedom of expression! etc etc etc, delivered in a passionate voice, yarda yarda yar, can't be bothered. Etc.

ReputationRep:
    never. why would you? just because you dont like either doesn't give you the right to tell others they can't talk about it!

ReputationRep:
    Why? Do you feel threatened by such literature? Would you prefer topics about other books, perhaps 'Fireman Sam' or 'Kitty's day out' would be more to your liking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Why? Do you feel threatened by such literature? Would you prefer topics about other books, perhaps 'Fireman Sam' or 'Kitty's day out' would be more to your liking?

or precious moments? or clifford the big red dog?

ReputationRep:
    hey don't skit Fireman Sam or Clifford.

ReputationRep:
    yea..i want to.........at least they shuld have another section !!!

ReputationRep:
    what harm is it doing to you having a hp and lotr thread?

ReputationRep:
    You're pathetic. There's no point in isolating different groups, simply if you don't like what they're discussing then don't read it. Heard of freedom of speech? And i do like harry potter novels even though they're probably not the greatest of literature, try reading one yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    You're pathetic. There's no point in isolating different groups, simply if you don't like what they're discussing then don't read it. Heard of freedom of speech? And i do like harry potter novels even though they're probably not the greatest of literature, try reading one yourself
    very well said, at last someone speaks the truth.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.