The Student Room Group
Since P is the pivot point, is the arrow going clockwise or anticlockwise about it?

I.e. in the direction the minute hand goes round on the clock, or opposite that.
Reply 2
hmm....clockwise ??
Reply 3
ghostwalker
Since P is the pivot point, is the arrow going clockwise or anticlockwise about it?

I.e. in the direction the minute hand goes round on the clock, or opposite that.

hmm...clockwise?
klgyal
hmm...clockwise?

Yes, clockwise :smile: Did you see my attempt at a drawing?
It's obviously clockwise, as the direction of the arrow is the same as that of a clock.

It'll be 9.5 x 2.8cos(60)
Reply 6
ghostwalker
Yes, clockwise :smile: Did you see my attempt at a drawing?

yes :smile:
For this different question moments.doc the answer says anticlockwise, but i thought it would be clockwise ?? so im still confused :confused: :confused:
klgyal
yes :smile:
For this different question moments.doc the answer says anticlockwise, but i thought it would be clockwise ?? so im still confused :confused: :confused:

P is the stationary point, the centre about which the force forms a moment.
Compare the direction the arrow is going relative to that centre with my two previously posted diagrams.

Another viewpoint.
If you can imagine sitting at the point P, and watching the arrow go past;
if it goes from left to right, it's clockwise,
if it goes from right to left it's anticlockwise.
Reply 8
ghostwalker
P is the stationary point, the centre about which the force forms a moment.
Compare the direction the arrow is going relative to that centre with my two previously posted diagrams.

Another viewpoint.
If you can imagine sitting at the point P, and watching the arrow go past;
if it goes from left to right, it's clockwise,
if it goes from right to left it's anticlockwise.

hmm...so is it just a matter of looking at whether the arrow is facing upwards or downwards and does have anything to do with the point P ..this is really hard for me to understand :s-smilie:
klgyal
hmm...so is it just a matter of looking at whether the arrow is facing upwards or downwards and does have anything to do with the point P ..this is really hard for me to understand :s-smilie:

NO. It's not a question of up or down. Obviously my attempt at representing it a different way, hasn't helped. I'll do a another diagram, but it will take a few minutes.
Reply 10
ghostwalker
NO. It's not a question of up or down. Obviously my attempt at representing it a different way, hasn't helped. I'll do a another diagram, but it will take a few minutes.

:o: thank you for your help.:smile: :smile:
OK, here a a couple of images.

In one the forces are all clockwise about P,

in the other they are all anticlockwise about P.

Hopefully, you should be able to extract the important feature.
Reply 12
ghostwalker
OK, here a a couple of images.

In one the forces are all clockwise about P,

in the other they are all anticlockwise about P.

Hopefully, you should be able to extract the important feature.

:smile: :smile: i finally understand it now, thank-you so much for helping xx
klgyal
:smile: :smile: i finally understand it now, thank-you so much for helping xx

You're welcome.

Latest