The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Reply 2
rbnphlp

In your failed attempt at humour or facetious juvenile 'wit' I can only laugh at how pathetic the attempt was.
I am fully aware I can google the same term you have...bravo..
That is not the question I asked is it?

Read the question again.... Good...I am looking for suggestions based on experience.
Its like asking a local where a GOOD place to eat is and them handing you the yellow pages....what use it that?

Anyway...bump this for anybody with (i) a helpful sides or (ii) someone with humour
vdub

If you pm me with your email address I will send you a Powerpoint on half tangent identities.
Reply 4
Thanks very much
My faith has been restored in the board!
I have pm'd you
Reply 5
They're used in integrals of the form 1d+esinx+fcosx \int \frac{1}{d + esinx + fcosx} and 1a+btanx \int \frac{1}{a + btanx}

The usefulness comes from the fact that you can put cosx and sinx in terms of tan x/2 and so you make the substitution t = tan x/2, dt/dx = ..... and then from half angle manipulation you can put cosx and sinx in terms of t. Colloquially i think they're called T substitution formula.

I have to say I don't think I've ever had to use half angles formulas, except for integration.
Reply 6
vdub
In your failed attempt at humour or facetious juvenile 'wit' I can only laugh at how pathetic the attempt was.
I am fully aware I can google the same term you have...bravo..
That is not the question I asked is it?

Read the question again.... Good...I am looking for suggestions based on experience.
Its like asking a local where a GOOD place to eat is and them handing you the yellow pages....what use it that?

Anyway...bump this for anybody with (i) a helpful sides or (ii) someone with humour

:blah:
Reply 7
As has been said, they are useful for substitutions in integration, and also This.
insparato
I have to say I don't think I've ever had to use half angles formulas, except for integration.

They provide an alternative approach to solving equations of the form asinx+bcosx=ca \sin x + b \cos x = c.

They also pop up when you study the Gudermannian function.
Reply 9
rbnphlp
:blah:

Im not sure why you have posted that :s-smilie:
Your response to the person was very unhelpful, childish and very 5 years ago
Reply 10
Eurobob
Im not sure why you have posted that :s-smilie:
Your response to the person was very unhelpful, childish and very 5 years ago

http://wapedia.mobi/en/T-substitution and guess how I found that out..

Latest