New Doctor Who - Episode 2 - The Beast Below - 10/04/10 - no future spoilers Watch

Poll: How did you find this episode?
Excellent (55)
33.95%
Good (88)
54.32%
Poor (17)
10.49%
Awful (2)
1.23%
RK
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Here's a new thread for us to discuss the second episode of the new Doctor Who series. We're starting a new thread for each episode and have votes so that we can see what we all thought of each epsiode as the series goes on.

We can have spoilers in here for this episode, so don't read on if you don't want to know what happens. But let's keep spoiler for future episodes out of here.

So, how did you find it?
CuteStar*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I just love Dr. Who.
Duckzilla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought it was really good apart from the Doctor being snappy at the end: "You have no right to choose what I do and do not see" (paraphrased). Amy was doing what she thought was right by protecting him and the Doctor threw it back in her face.
letsdothetimewarpagain
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I quite liked it, although I'm going to have to watch it again as I don't fully get how the queen, those doll things and the alien all tie in together :o:
InvoluntarySlacker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Barely entertaining. Competent writers should have came free with the new Dr.
rofflewaffle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Better than the first episode, which imo was awful. I miss Tennant :sad:. It can only get better, I guess :erm:.
Onyx.
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
I quite liked it, although I'm going to have to watch it again as I don't fully get how the queen, those doll things and the alien all tie in together :o:
Yes you should definately re-watch. It was actually a very good twist to the storyline :yes:

I thought the episode was great: it was creepy, packed with great dialoug, and also provoked a little emotion (from me anyway) towards the end. Oh, and the new theme tune? It's definately growing on me. I didn't really like the Doctor having a hissy fit at Amy, she only chose what everyone else in the UK would have chose and which is to 'forget'. In that moment, the new Doctor really me reminded me of David's Doctor. Looking back, I think he was a very angsty Doctor.

Edit: Meant to say 'dialogue', forgive me... I posted this as soon as I woke up :o:
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It wasn't too bad
bacforever3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Onyx.)
Yes you should definitely re-watch. It was actually a very good twist to the storyline :yes:

I thought the episode was great: it was creepy, packed with great dialoug, and also provoked a little emotion (from me anyway) towards the end. Oh, and the new theme tune? It's definitely growing on me. I didn't really like the Doctor having a hissy fit at Amy, she only chose what everyone else in the UK would have chose and which is to 'forget'. In that moment, the new Doctor really me reminded me of David's Doctor. Looking back, I think he was a very angsty Doctor.
He was, but, he never did things that were horrible or harmful to others... the entirely self-less doctor :bawling:

The new doc was rude about the food more than once yet still demanded more, sent amy off alone on her first voyage, contemplated killing a starcowthing and yelled at amy :eek:

sad times

However, I do really want to be whisked away in a tardis!!!
Benten10X
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Didn't like the stuff that has already been said, but I also didn't like the fact that the writers hadn't made clear to me that the Starship UK was travelling in space before water stuff. So when the Doctor did his thing with water, and the line 'there are no engines? so how are travelling then?' I failed to see the relevance and urgency of the situation.

Overall, a 7/10.

(Original post by bacforever3)
sent amy off alone on her first voyage
Oh yeah, I don't remember the Tenth Doctor sending his companions to do his dirty work very much. And the most awful position he put her in 'its me, or Leadworth' or something like that, I mean he hardly knows her! All she's seen is fish custard. Thank god she chose him otherwise we wouldn't have another series with Amy Pond as the companion.
YogiSAFC
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I liked it. I didn't think I'd like Smith as the Doctor but he's impressed me. It probably helps that Amy Pond is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen like
F.I
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
This. The middle part got a little confusing for me.
But overall it was good.
timiaz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It was a really good episode.

Its my opinion that Moffat is a better Writer and producer then Russell T Davies... although i would like to know what you think

Also the fact that Amy pond gets more and more attractive, and that this episode really sets the tone for the rest of the series makes it goo
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Benten10X)
Didn't like the stuff that has already been said, but I also didn't like the fact that the writers hadn't made clear to me that the Starship UK was travelling in space before water stuff. So when the Doctor did his thing with water, and the line 'there are no engines? so how are travelling then?' I failed to see the relevance and urgency of the situation.

Overall, a 7/10.

Oh yeah, I don't remember the Tenth Doctor sending his companions to do his dirty work very much. And the most awful position he put her in 'its me, or Leadworth' or something like that, I mean he hardly knows her! All she's seen is fish custard. Thank god she chose him otherwise we wouldn't have another series with Amy Pond as the companion.
Yeah, I think I would give it a 7/10 as well
chriscpritchard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Err, right at the start? it shows it clearly flying in space! and then the doctor says "whole nations migrating to the stars... This is the united kingdom of britain and northern ireland, floating in the sky"
Benten10X
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chriscpritchard)
Err, right at the start? it shows it clearly flying in space! and then the doctor says "whole nations migrating to the stars... This is the united kingdom of britain and northern ireland, floating in the sky"
Oh right, well I missed the first 5-10 seconds.
chriscpritchard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh right, well I missed the first 5-10 seconds.
That's OK then, I forgive you :p:
squareroot1764
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It seemed like a mishmash of lots of past episodes to me. The whole "last survivors of the human race on a ship" thing was very like Utopia, a space whale thing being exploited was like the space whale thing from Torchwood, people's minds being controlled = the Long Game etc. Then again maybe it's just me.

I don't know if I liked it or not really, I'll have to watch it again.
ChopinNocturne
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I liked the end when Amy was like "Very old, very kind, the last of its kind and can't bear to see the children cry"....I didn't like the way the Doctor treated Amy though. First trip and sending her straight off on her own, shouted at her for doing what she thought was right... :hmmm:
fretter778
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was wondering why there were so many Star Wars references
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads