New Doctor Who - Episode 2 - The Beast Below - 10/04/10 - no future spoilers Watch

Poll: How did you find this episode?
Excellent (55)
33.95%
Good (88)
54.32%
Poor (17)
10.49%
Awful (2)
1.23%
kog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
not looking forward to the next episode personally, ive had enough with daleks and cybermen returning in different ways, gimme something completely new!
ImperceptibleNinja
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
'twas alright... it had pros and cons. The Doctor currently seems a bit immature/selfish/insensitive, but hopefully he's going to develop a bit and be more consistently likeable.

They did a good job of making the scary faces - for masks they were quite sinister. My flatmates watched the episode later than I did, and I was tempted to draw a scary red-eyed face and poke it around the door. But I was too lazy and I didn't.

Edit: RK, could we have a 'meh'/'sitting on the fence' option on the polls in future? I'm not sure I would go so far as to say the episode was either 'Good' or 'Poor'.
Emma the Hippy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's funny, my opinion on each episode seems to be completely at odds with the vast majority on here! I was that taken with last weeks - thought it was ok, but not great, but I LOVED this weeks. Especially the "very, very old, very very kind" line. I also much prefer the 45 minute set up to the hour long one, though it seems odd that should make much of a difference.
Inseriousity.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thought it was okay, I didn't like Liz Ten tbh
SomethingWitty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It had the potential but didn't really strike it off. It could have been so much better. I did like how it was much darker than the episodes we've seen for a while now.

Did the freaky doll things ever get explained?
MazalTov89
Badges: 9
Report 9 years ago
One problem: if the episode was meant to be set in the 29th Century, why did the polling booth state Amy being 1306 years old? Yet it was able to get her name right!

I thought Liz 10 was great!
Robert Paulson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Duckzilla)
I thought it was really good apart from the Doctor being snappy at the end: "You have no right to choose what I do and do not see" (paraphrased). Amy was doing what she thought was right by protecting him and the Doctor threw it back in her face.
He was perfectly justified to say that. He allowed her to come traveling across time and space with him, and she can't even show him enough respect by telling him things that he ought to know about. I understood his point of view perfectly. She's not his mother. It's quite obvious he has far more experience and insight into the universe than she can even imagine.

I thought it was a great episode, much better than last weeks. As I said in the other DW thread though, I didn't like the idea of human children attempting to be fed to the star whale. It doesn't seem very likely that the Queen would have authorized that, nor that those under her command would have agreed with it.
Emma the Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Robert Paulson)
He was perfectly justified to say that. He allowed her to come traveling across time and space with him, and she can't even show him enough respect by telling him things that he ought to know about. I understood his point of view perfectly. She's not his mother. It's quite obvious he has far more experience and insight into the universe than she can even imagine.

I thought it was a great episode, much better than last weeks. As I said in the other DW thread though, I didn't like the idea of human children attempting to be fed to the star whale. It doesn't seem very likely that the Queen would have authorized that, nor that those under her command would have agreed with it.
Desperation with make people do terrible things. (Torchwood, Children of Earth - most of the people in that cabinet room were not inherently bad).
Leopold Bloom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Episode was fairly good. I thought the snapping at Amy was a good to be honest - it sums up the Doctor's ethos brilliantly. The new theme's fine, I don't really understand the big uproar about it. I did find the Queen character a bit 'ergh' though. And all the 'I'm the bloody Queen mate, I rule this place' got a bit tedious.

I'm just glad I can watch Doctor Who again. I thought the past two series, and the specials, have been awful. Tennant, at times, became a parody of himself, and the scripts were just woeful (it was more the scripts that became the problem, obviously, than Tennant).
Robert Paulson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Emma the Hippy)
Desperation with make people do terrible things. (Torchwood, Children of Earth - most of the people in that cabinet room were not inherently bad).
Rubbish. Those men in top command did not seem particularly evil, and so I see no reason for why they would agree with the death of human children, when there are plenty of adults to take their place. Only the truly evil could agree to something like that, and the Queen did definitely not come across that way. Even then, I'm sure the death of an adult over a child is preferable to all but the psychopathic.

That desperation line applies when times are desperate and there are no alternatives. Adults are an alternative. Nuff said.
TheGhostofODonahue
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Leopold Bloom)
Episode was fairly good. I thought the snapping at Amy was a good to be honest - it sums up the Doctor's ethos brilliantly. The new theme's fine, I don't really understand the big uproar about it. I did find the Queen character a bit 'ergh' though. And all the 'I'm the bloody Queen mate, I rule this place' got a bit tedious.
:yes: Thank you sir/madam, you have said everything that I couldn't be bothered to type
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think the bits of the plot linked very well. Those smilers had, seemingly, nothing to do with it.

The things that were supposedly half human half smiler were never explained.

Wasn't explained WHY some kids were ''sent below'' and others weren't.

Nor why they were only sent below if they got into the lift, but not if they walked down the stairs.

Amy's reasoning for how she randomly managed to save the planet after litte more than a few minutes as a time traveller's companion was also flawed.. what on earth would have made her make that judgement, having known nothing about the future to which she'd travelled?

All in all, there wasn't a ''monster'' as such, because ''the beast'' was a good character, and the ''smilers'' were never fully explained.

Also, the way the Doctor reacted to Amy's actions was compeltely out of character. He is, after all, supposed to be the same person but just with a ''new face'', and I feel that after last week, when things seemed to have run a lot more smoothly between the actors, Matt Smith is attempting to put too much of himself into the role without thinking about the past actors and the continuity which has to be thought about.

I thought it a bit of a let down from last week's, which I thought was amazing.

Rant over.
Becky21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
I quite liked it, although I'm going to have to watch it again as I don't fully get how the queen, those doll things and the alien all tie in together :o:
Yeah, me too :o: I always have to watch them twice to completely understand.
Tomato_Soup1992
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gemma :)!)
I don't think the bits of the plot linked very well. Those smilers had, seemingly, nothing to do with it.

The things that were supposedly half human half smiler were never explained.

Wasn't explained WHY some kids were ''sent below'' and others weren't.

Nor why they were only sent below if they got into the lift, but not if they walked down the stairs.

Amy's reasoning for how she randomly managed to save the planet after litte more than a few minutes as a time traveller's companion was also flawed.. what on earth would have made her make that judgement, having known nothing about the future to which she'd travelled?

All in all, there wasn't a ''monster'' as such, because ''the beast'' was a good character, and the ''smilers'' were never fully explained.

Also, the way the Doctor reacted to Amy's actions was compeltely out of character. He is, after all, supposed to be the same person but just with a ''new face'', and I feel that after last week, when things seemed to have run a lot more smoothly between the actors, Matt Smith is attempting to put too much of himself into the role without thinking about the past actors and the continuity which has to be thought about.

Rant over.
I disagree. The doctor shouldn't be the same with a new face. Each doctor should be unique - It keeps the series from getting stale and allows each actor to portray the doctor from their interpretation as opposed to trying to copy the same character - unsuccessfully. I thought this was a great episode because 1) He hardly used his screwdriver. Tennant got boring because he just strolled in flashed his magic wand and no-one died. It completely destroyed any potential tension.

This episode showed the the doctor isn't perfect - He was faced with an impossible decision and was angry that this could have been prevented It showed he truly cares about their lives and that he is no superman. He was relatable. Then Amy, having been fascinated by the doctor all her life finds a solution - a link with the doctors character. She showed the doctor that there is a way and you could see that the doctor is now very taken back by Amy. Like said - You could feel the chemistry.

This episode was great because he hardly used the screwdriver, there was a good twist at the end (despite the idea being recycled) and it presented the new doctors character. I'm glad he shouted - It was a good move by Moffat.
CinderellaDontGo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I liked it but It didn't really make sense. The Queen was ''running'' the ship and the ship was evil, those creepy robot things were killing people to help feed the whale.

So if the Queen is running the ship then she would be responsible for all the innocent deaths on board. How did all the characters all suddenly become nice at the end?
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gemma :)!)

Rant over.
No, he's not.

Most of the posters here seem to be complaining because either
a) They aren't intelligent enough to grasp the plot elements in a children's TV show
b) They think the Doctor, an ancient being who has made countless decisions about whether to save or condemn entire species, should always be lovely and kind and wonderful. Anger at what Amy did was completely understandable. Keeping someone in the dark is akin to lying to them, regardless of the motive.

You've all been spoilt by Tennant and the sugary rubbishness of much of RTD's writing. Ecclestone would probably have made the same choice that Smith did - he did decide to let the entire human race become Darleks, if you remember.
Svenjamin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree with Tomato Soup. Every doctor is meant to be different, and Smith is definitely a polar opposite of Tennant's doctor. If it's the same character then the show will get stale, his strengths and weaknesses always change, and that's what keeps it interesting.
Mickie112
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the episode was average/verging on boring. What I found interesting was that the assistant managed to find a solution for once.
DMV
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CuteStar*)
I just love Dr. Who.
This
I like the new doctor.

And off topic; but Papa Roach = :love:
Madjackismad
Report 9 years ago
You know, in the specials, especially Waters on Mars (something like that) it showed us an angrier David Tennant. It also adds to the complexity of his character and it shows how good an actor Matt Smith is. Last episode he was all mad and eccentric, but this one he was much more dour. Pretty good IMO.

Anyway, I thought tonights episode was relatively poor compared to last weeks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads