Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Im about to go into my final year of a history degree. I want to go into law but I cant decide whether to study a CPE or senior status LLB.

Is there any preference for either by law firms? Are either considered more prestigious? Does the reputation of the institution matter?

The senior status being held over two years would seem to offer better coverage and perhaps equip me with a deeper understanding of law and so im leaning towards that.

At the moment im considering studying the part time accelerated degree at Birkbeck College London over three years. However ive heard that law firms prefer younger candidates. If I study at Birkbeck and then do a LPC/BVC i will be 25 before i enter employment.. would this be seen as a disadvantage?

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not too clued up on this, but generally the traditional route is the CPE route.

ReputationRep:
    yep. I'd say the GDL is your best bet. Dont worry about the age, provided you can justify how you have spent your time and used it productively (which, by the sounds of it, you have), it shouldnt be a major thing

ReputationRep:
    no and no either are fine, an increasing number of people are doing the 2 yr because you get more of a feel of the subject and more depth but the GDL is your quickest entry into law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    no and no either are fine, an increasing number of people are doing the 2 yr because you get more of a feel of the subject and more depth but the GDL is your quickest entry into law.

But if you do the 2yr degree, do you reckon firms will care which institution you get it from? will it be as competitive as those who are doing their first degree in law, where choice of institution seems to significantly matter in some cases? there aren't many places offering the 2 y llb, so i guess they should take that into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that the vast majority of firms care where you do your CPE. I did mine at Northumbria and had interviews with plenty of US and Top 10 firms.

Btw, if your undergrad grades are good and you'll get a 2/1, then I'd go for the GDL/ CPE. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiz)
    But if you do the 2yr degree, do you reckon firms will care which institution you get it from? will it be as competitive as those who are doing their first degree in law, where choice of institution seems to significantly matter in some cases? there aren't many places offering the 2 y llb, so i guess they should take that into consideration.
    they really don't mind where you do your gdl or 2 yr LLB from provided its somewhere vaguely decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol01)
    I don't think that the vast majority of firms care where you do your CPE. I did mine at Northumbria and had interviews with plenty of US and Top 10 firms.

Btw, if your undergrad grades are good and you'll get a 2/1, then I'd go for the GDL/ CPE. :cool:

Thanks guys. Just wondering-where did you do your first degree, Vitriol? i'm guessing you got a first?!

and Vivica,do u think queen mary is ok for the 2yr thing?

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle, 2/1.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a clue about Queen Mary don't think they even did it two years ago because I looked up pretty much every uni and don't remember looking at them at all.

Someone who knows QM would be more use.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.