The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does anyone have any tips for the report. I always get 13/20 :frown:

if you use a report style layout and use ALL sources you're meant to get about 14 makrs then it goes up as you add recall.
layout like so
TO: GOVERNMENT OR SOMETHING
RE: WHAT THE PROPOSAL IS

ROLE AND REMIT
i am such and such and have been asked to do such and such

RECOMMENDATION
i recommend that such and such shoul/should not be introduced

ARGUMENTS FOR
List in bullet points

POSSIBLE CRITICISMS
points against

then start report, make sure you rewrite each heading before writing teh paragraph about it to make sure the marker knows what ur referring to sort of thing.

REBUTTAL

CONCLUSION

3 for 2 against or 2 and 2 if you run out of time should be fine as long as you make sure you use ALL the sources. if it helps do a table at the side and list the sources and tick as you use each one.
Also, it is helpful for markers if you put in brackets the source next to the point so that they can see you have used it, it helps them see it quicker and might make them happier about marking ur paper (might make them more generous).Also when you put recall/background info put (r) or (bk) for recall or background knowledge.

this is a tad long and messy as its rushed so message me if you need anything further explained
Reply 81
Ape Gone Insane
I'm good with USA and Voting Systems. Alright with Devolved Decision Making but absolutely crap on Health & Wealth.

Anyone got any ideas (intelligent guesses, teacher recommendations ..) on what may come up under Health & Wealth?

not a definite but if they ask about gender it will likely come along with race so know stuff for both if ur trying to make sure ur well prepared
claire__x
Does anyone have any tips for the report. I always get 13/20 :frown:

You don't seem to be doing anything wrong as I can see format wise. And I don't use bullet points. We were taught not to. We just have full paragraphs for each point backed up by use of all sources and BK.

You didn't make it clear but you have to link your criticisms directly with you rebuttals. So for each point you make against your proposal, you should provide a reason with statistics to why you rejected this criticism.

No one can help you too much unless you were to post an example essay (?).
Reply 83
Ape Gone Insane
You don't seem to be doing anything wrong as I can see format wise. You didn't make it clear but you have to link your criticisms directly with you rebuttals. So for each point you make against your proposal, you should provide a reason with statistics to why you rejected this criticism.

No one can help you too much unless you were to post an example essay (?).

the 13/20 was someone elses post i quoted it wrong :s-smilie: lol, i was giving a rough idea to them on how to do it

plus you dont need a rebuttal for all points, just one is fine
Reply 84
Hello (:
For the voting systems, what systems have you learnt the advantages and disadvantages of? Is it just FPTP, AMS and STV? Or should I learn the others such as AVS and Regional Party List (we got notes on these)?
Thanks (:
claire__x
the 13/20 was someone elses post i quoted it wrong :s-smilie: lol, i was giving a rough idea to them on how to do it

plus you dont need a rebuttal for all points, just one is fine

Ah, I see. :p:

One rebuttal? You sure about that?

Your arguments and rebuttals are what form the main body of the essay and the general source for all your marks. You can't give a criticism without saying why you rejected it in favour of whatever it is you are supporting, otherwise your judgement on the matter is brought into question.

If each argument (backed by statistics) gives you 2 marks, each argument against will give you 2 marks and each rebuttal will give you an extra 2 marks.

4 arguments for + 2 arguments against + 2 rebuttals = 16 marks with some left to spare for the conclusion and use of BK.
alanainatizzy
Hello (:
For the voting systems, what systems have you learnt the advantages and disadvantages of? Is it just FPTP, AMS and STV? Or should I learn the others such as AVS and Regional Party List (we got notes on these)?
Thanks (:

FPTP

PR systems;

Party List
AMS (PL + FPTP)
STV
Reply 87
Ape Gone Insane
FPTP

PR systems;

Party List
AMS (PL + FPTP)
STV

Reply 88
Ape Gone Insane
Ah, I see. :p:

One rebuttal? You sure about that?

Your arguments and rebuttals are what form the main body of the essay and the general source for all your marks. You can't give a criticism without saying why you rejected it in favour of whatever it is you are supporting, otherwise your judgement on the matter is brought into question.

If each argument (backed by statistics) gives you 2 marks, each argument against will give you 2 marks and each rebuttal will give you an extra 2 marks.

4 arguments for + 2 arguments against + 2 rebuttals = 16 marks with some left to spare for the conclusion and use of BK.

it isnt marked like every thing you include, it's marked mostly on ur layout and usuing all of the soucres along with some recall, my teacher gave me an example essay of someone who did a rebuttal for all but said you dont need to. 6 arguments seem quite a lot for the time you have, i was told it's very fine to do 3 and 2 or 2 and 2 if ur really pushed.

use the layout
use the souces
some recall
rebuttal
conclusion and you are fine

you can always link in ur two points in ur rebuttal but there isnt really a need

YOU MAKE IT SO MUCH MORE CONFUSING :frown: LOL
alanainatizzy

The only problem with that section is that you are not guaranteed a question on voting systems. The last 2 years have been on voting behaviour so it raises the chances of a voting systems question this year - which would be a dream. :p:
Is anybody going to mention the 2010 election in their exam?

Most of what happened in this months election seems to directly contradict some of the advantages of First Past the Post. :sigh:
claire__x

if you use a report style layout and use ALL sources you're meant to get about 14 makrs then it goes up as you add recall.

Using a report style and using all the sources doesn't mean you get 14 marks surely, that's way too high?

If you write something extremely basic but relevant to the sources and use all the sources with a few pieces of BK you will get a basic 10.
Using A LOT of BK, synthesizing (sp?) your sources, for example, start of your argument with something from source A, put in some BK, some stats for C2 to back that up, some more BK, to stats from C1, back to source A, etc will get you higher marks. Obviously using a report style and role play will get you an A hopefully, for example "Minister, I strongly urge you implement this proposal immediately.." etc

The layout I use is:

Memorandum

To: Minister of Health etc
Subject: What it's about, eg. Free prescription Charges
Date: 22/05/2010

Introduction - briefly explain you've been appointed a role and briefly explain the proposal

Recommendation - state if they should reject/implement the proposal

Arguments for my recommendation - about 3 bullet point headings
Argument 1 - discuss it in depth
Argument 2
Argument 3

Arguments against my recommendation and rebuttal - about 3 bullet point headings
Argument 1 - briefly say what opposers might do than go to your 'However, it is evident ..' and totally destroy what opposers would say with evidence against it and do that for another 2 arguments.

Conclusion - sum it all up, stating your recommendation again.
Ape Gone Insane
Is anybody going to mention the 2010 election in their exam?

Most of what happened in this months election seems to directly contradict some of the advantages of First Past the Post. :sigh:

I thought if you didn't mention it you were basically making yourself get a lower grade haha, we were told if you talk about the 2010 election you will get highly marked. Like you can say how FPTP will usually produce a strong parliament or whatever, however, this has been proven to be untrue as in the 2010 general election... etc
Ecosse_14
For H+W, my teacher said maybe the inequalities or govt policies to reduce health inequalities. Could also be gender or race though as they've never asked them individually. But we all know what the SQA are like and could ask anything, even if they asked it 1/2 years ago :frown:

Nice to see you posting again btw Ape :smile:

I despise that whole section. What section is your strong point? (Don't say all them :p: )

Ecosse_14
I thought if you didn't mention it you were basically making yourself get a lower grade haha, we were told if you talk about the 2010 election you will get highly marked. Like you can say how FPTP will usually produce a strong parliament or whatever, however, this has been proven to be untrue as in the 2010 general election... etc

Awesome. That's exactly how I was going to put it.
Ape Gone Insane
I despise that whole section. What section is your strong point? (Don't say all them :p: )

Strong point is probably China :biggrin: don't think you do that?

What do you think will come up for USA?
Ecosse_14
Strong point is probably China :biggrin: don't think you do that?

What do you think will come up for USA?

Nope, we did all the boring stuff. :nothing:

USA was exciting though. Immigration I would think. I used to be very good at immigration but the revision material for it is lacking in the education materials I use to revise.

I hope it's immigration.
Ape Gone Insane
Nope, we did all the boring stuff. :nothing:

USA was exciting though. Immigration I would think. I used to be very good at immigration but the revision material for it is lacking in the education materials I use to revise.

I hope it's immigration.

Yeah I'm hoping its immigration aswell. Just hope my brain can handle all the stats for modern studies :confused:
Reply 97
Ecosse_14
Using a report style and using all the sources doesn't mean you get 14 marks surely, that's way too high?

If you write something extremely basic but relevant to the sources and use all the sources with a few pieces of BK you will get a basic 10.
Using A LOT of BK, synthesizing (sp?) your sources, for example, start of your argument with something from source A, put in some BK, some stats for C2 to back that up, some more BK, to stats from C1, back to source A, etc will get you higher marks. Obviously using a report style and role play will get you an A hopefully, for example "Minister, I strongly urge you implement this proposal immediately.." etc

The layout I use is:

Memorandum

To: Minister of Health etc
Subject: What it's about, eg. Free prescription Charges
Date: 22/05/2010

Introduction - briefly explain you've been appointed a role and briefly explain the proposal

Recommendation - state if they should reject/implement the proposal

Arguments for my recommendation - about 3 bullet point headings
Argument 1 - discuss it in depth
Argument 2
Argument 3

Arguments against my recommendation and rebuttal - about 3 bullet point headings
Argument 1 - briefly say what opposers might do than go to your 'However, it is evident ..' and totally destroy what opposers would say with evidence against it and do that for another 2 arguments.

Conclusion - sum it all up, stating your recommendation again.

i suppose 14 does seem a lot but thats what ive been told from a few teachers so im not sure. i would say your 3 and 3 points seems quite a lot in the time given though for them to be as detailed as you make them with a rebuttal for each point.
Do you generally manage the DME in the time given along with the questions
claire__x
i suppose 14 does seem a lot but thats what ive been told from a few teachers so im not sure. i would say your 3 and 3 points seems quite a lot in the time given though for them to be as detailed as you make them with a rebuttal for each point.
Do you generally manage the DME in the time given along with the questions

Yeah I generally do have time to do the questions and the DME with what I've said I do, although it is a push and my hand kills me after it. If the proposal is one that I need to take a while to get my head round and it takes me a while to try find some arguments for I would still strive to do at least 3 arguments for and 2 against + rebuttal but I suppose everyone is different. :smile:
You could also say that the most recent election shows how FPTP does not always result in an outright majority.
More people are perhaps represented now due to the coalition as more of the electorate have their views represented
Lib Dems gained 1% of vote but lost seats. Is this really fair?
Did anyone vote for a coalition? NO

Latest

Trending

Trending