Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I really really need advice about what I should do now... I wanted to do forensic science in Uni combined with something else but after my Biology result, I don't think I can! I always used to get good results without putting absolutely no effort in my work, but it didn't work this year... English Literature + Media Studies has always been subjects I've got good grades in, but I don't really want to study neither of them in Uni either! Psychology was a flop too... Can anyone tell me what I should consider studying in Uni? Is there any academic subject that requires alot of field work and travelling? I'm so confused now... :confused: Please help! I want to combine an academic subject with a non-academic subject... I'm interested in the whole M15, secret agent thing, but I haven't got a clue how to get into that.. I like the study of animals, but don't I need a decent biology grade for that? I'm also interested in TV work and film-making but I want to also do something thats logical and maybe abit dangerous... not just sitting around around piles of books and just writing... I know I sound like a nutter but its the only way I can describe it! Please help!
    Thanks
    x

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a gap year might help to at least think a bit about what you really want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sweet Symphony)
    Is there any academic subject that requires alot of field work and travelling?
    Anthropology. Dad does it, seems like a bit of a joke - you could get in on almost any subject combination I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I thought material breach, but then I went on holiday this summer and I realised the more I sat around not doing anything and having fun, the more I didn't want to go back to school! I think if I find something I'm interested in, I want to quickly get my degree in Uni and then go on a gap year travelling! I just need to find something I's like to do in Uni first...

ReputationRep:
    What's "Anthropology"?

ReputationRep:
    You sound like me. All i want to do is live on the beach.

:|

ReputationRep:
    Lol! All I want to do is bungee-jumping, sky-diving and extreme sports!

ReputationRep:
    Well you could say that about me, give me my 2 boards, boardshorts and a wetsuit and i'm sorted.

ReputationRep:
    What's "Anthropology"?
    Very generally, the study of people, through other cultures (generally minor unknown cultures). So the challenge is to find the oddest, most unknown set of people you can, get interested in them, go off to that country, learn the language, have countless field trips etc etc to wherever these people live across the world (Australia, Canada, USA etc etc), talk to them, write things about them, see how they adapt, get paid to do it. And it's very broad. Don't know much else about it - there was a thread somewhere on this thing about Anthropology a while back, that might have some more stuff if you're interested.

Or you could just look it up somewhere it might explain it better, though you're probably not that interested - I wouldn't be. Just mentioned it because you were asking about an academic subject which involved lots of field work and travelling.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, i find it interesting, but when you said the "oddest, most unknown set of people" do you mean people like red indians and siamese twins? Is it hard to get into the subject? What A-Levels do I need? Does the field-trips come during while I'm in the Uni, studying or after I finished Uni? Do you also know any information about how to get into becoming secret agents and working for the M15/FBI?
    --Thanks for all the info!!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, i find it interesting, but when you said the "oddest, most unknown set of people" do you mean people like red indians and siamese twins? Is it hard to get into the subject? What A-Levels do I need? Does the field-trips come during while I'm in the Uni, studying or after I finished Uni? Do you also know any information about how to get into becoming secret agents and working for the M15/FBI?
    I work for both the MI5 and the FBI and if I were to tell you that madam, I would have to kill you.

By the 'oddest, most unknown set of people' I mean random cultures. Red Indians and Siamese twins are funny examples, but not exactly like that. Maybe more like the Red Indians as opposed to the Siamese twins, if Red Indians still exist... To be fair you don't need to find a random culture, you could do anthropology studying Chinese people, but I'm sure it would be a lot easier to be successful if you did a random culture. The field trips should come while you're at uni, but a lot more after you're done with Uni. Especially if you're doing a PhD, you'll be spending a year of field work. Look it up on some uni webpages, I'm not entirely sure. As for A-Levels I'm sure it's one of those ones where you don't need to have any specific subjects to get in. It's a social science so sciency/artsy subjects would both be good, although I'm guessing a mix of both would be the best.

And as for MI5 and FBI, I'm guessing you'd have to be very intelligent and not a very nice person to be able to work for them. You'd also probably have to be willing to die for your country, and be very good with computers.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I see, I'm very good with logical stuff, puzzles and spotting things before others, and computers but the problem is I am a very nice person - (in fact, too nice, I can't hurt a fly..lol) and I don't want to die for any country for that matter!! (but I like taking risks!) When I think of FBI and stuff, I always think about is finding clues, putting them together to find the real culprit... etc (I know I sound childish, but I can't help it..)
    Anthropology seems like a subject that I'm certain I'm going to like! It includes so many things I like doing; travelling, a bit of writing, learning something new and seeing different things and maybe doing a TV documentry about it... Thanks so much, now I'm going to find out as much Info about it as I can, do you know any other subject I can combine it with? I want to study in Uni abroad, but I don't know how I can apply or about the cost... We have to send off our applications by October when we are back at school...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, one more question, what kinda jobs do I get if I get a PhD in Anthropology? Is it easy to find jobs with Anthropology degree?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I see, I'm very good with logical stuff, puzzles and spotting things before others, and computers but the problem is I am a very nice person - (in fact, too nice, I can't hurt a fly..lol) and I don't want to die for any country for that matter!! (but I like taking risks!) When I think of FBI and stuff, I always think about is finding clues, putting them together to find the real culprit... etc (I know I sound childish, but I can't help it..)
    Anthropology seems like a subject that I'm certain I'm going to like! It includes so many things I like doing; travelling, a bit of writing, learning something new and seeing different things and maybe doing a TV documentry about it... Thanks so much, now I'm going to find out as much Info about it as I can, do you know any other subject I can combine it with? I want to study in Uni abroad, but I don't know how I can apply or about the cost... We have to send off our applications by October when we are back at school...
    Yes being too nice is a bit of a problem when applying to these places - they'll soon sniff you out.

By the way I'm not entirely sure about field work while at uni... I know there are a small few who do this (I think Edinburgh) but to be honest I think most of them you just study the field work of other anthropologists... so not so exciting.

As for what subjects you can combine it with:

3-year combined degrees:
    African Studies, Bengali, Development Studies, Economics, Geography, Georgian, History, History of Art/Archaeology, Law, Linguistics, Music, Persian, Politics, Sinhalese, South Asian Studies, South East Asian Studies, Study of Religions, Tamil, Turkish

3- or 4- year combined degrees:
    Burmese, Hindi, Indonesian, Nepali, Thai, Vietnamese

4-year combined degree:
    Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, Hausa, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Swahili.

Found that on the SOAS website, probably won't be as much as that at other unis but that kind of thing - languages, history, law etc. As I said it's a pretty wide subject. And if you do a language you generally get a year abroad.

Studying for uni abroad - don't know how you apply, but to get into US universities you need to do SATs, and also as a foreign student it'll be very very expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, one more question, what kinda jobs do I get if I get a PhD in Anthropology? Is it easy to find jobs with Anthropology degree?
    You can become an anthropologist!! Yay!! Hmm well I know of one person who got a job for the UN and my dad almost got one, you can do consultancy... you might be useful for businesses I'm not sure... don't know if it's easy to find jobs with an Anthropology degree sorry

ReputationRep:
    Well I assume you are a british citzen which means the FBI is out for you- you must be an American Citzen and you need to have a majority of these critical skills:

-Accounting/Finance (Accounting/Finance Degree/CPA/or at least 2 years relative work experience)
    -Computer Science or other Information Technology specialties
    -Engineering
    -Fluent in a Foreign Language
    -Intelligence Experience
    -Law Experience
    -Law Enforcement or other Investigative Experience
    -Military Experience
    -Science (such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Nursing, Bio-chemistry, Forensics, Medical Specialties, etc.)

To get a job for M15 I beleive you need to be a British citzen and be completing a masters in atleast two foreign languages at Oxford or Cambridge university. You also need top GCSE and A-Level results. As I understand it you don't apply, they come and talk to you.

Perhaps a job in British police would suite you? They have various specialities including CID (crime investigation department) which is like the British version of CSI (crime scene investigation- we have all seen the shows). You basically go into the police force as a normal cop and then after the two years probationary period apply to become a detective constable. There is obviously no guarantee you will make it into any given speciality once in the police force but all you need is:

-To be a British citzen
    -To be 18 or over
    -To have 5 GCSE's A*-C

Now a days those with degrees get no preferential treatment but their are further traning schemes you can complete that give you additional skills to accelerate through the ranks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Yes being too nice is a bit of a problem when applying to these places - they'll soon sniff you out.

By the way I'm not entirely sure about field work while at uni... I know there are a small few who do this (I think Edinburgh) but to be honest I think most of them you just study the field work of other anthropologists... so not so exciting.

As for what subjects you can combine it with:

3-year combined degrees:
    African Studies, Bengali, Development Studies, Economics, Geography, Georgian, History, History of Art/Archaeology, Law, Linguistics, Music, Persian, Politics, Sinhalese, South Asian Studies, South East Asian Studies, Study of Religions, Tamil, Turkish

3- or 4- year combined degrees:
    Burmese, Hindi, Indonesian, Nepali, Thai, Vietnamese

4-year combined degree:
    Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, Hausa, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Swahili.

Found that on the SOAS website, probably won't be as much as that at other unis but that kind of thing - languages, history, law etc. As I said it's a pretty wide subject. And if you do a language you generally get a year abroad.

Studying for uni abroad - don't know how you apply, but to get into US universities you need to do SATs, and also as a foreign student it'll be very very expensive.

I don't think Anthropology appeals to me anymore, in psychology we had to learn about other psychologists works like Freud and Deregowski and I found that really boring... When you say it going to be very expensive, you mean like £1000+? Just taking that SATs examination or for the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew1989)
    Well I assume you are a british citzen which means the FBI is out for you- you must be an American Citzen and you need to have a majority of these critical skills:

-Accounting/Finance (Accounting/Finance Degree/CPA/or at least 2 years relative work experience)
    -Computer Science or other Information Technology specialties
    -Engineering
    -Fluent in a Foreign Language
    -Intelligence Experience
    -Law Experience
    -Law Enforcement or other Investigative Experience
    -Military Experience
    -Science (such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Nursing, Bio-chemistry, Forensics, Medical Specialties, etc.)

To get a job for M15 I beleive you need to be a British citzen and be completing a masters in atleast two foreign languages at Oxford or Cambridge university. You also need top GCSE and A-Level results. As I understand it you don't apply, they come and talk to you.

Perhaps a job in British police would suite you? They have various specialities including CID (crime investigation department) which is like the British version of CSI (crime scene investigation- we have all seen the shows). You basically go into the police force as a normal cop and then after the two years probationary period apply to become a detective constable. There is obviously no guarantee you will make it into any given speciality once in the police force but all you need is:

-To be a British citzen
    -To be 18 or over
    -To have 5 GCSE's A*-C

Now a days those with degrees get no preferential treatment but their are further traning schemes you can complete that give you additional skills to accelerate through the ranks.
    So I can't do FBI cuz I'm british citzen and M15 is going to be hard to get cuz I only know one foreign language and English and its unlikely I'm going to Oxford or Cambridge.. Erm, I thought about getting into the police but I don't find their job exciting, the sterotypical image comes into my mind of sitting in a police car and munching on dougnuts.. Do you know what kinda jobs I'd be I'd get with an English degree? It seems I don't have much choices left anyway, and I want to do something academic too... Okay, this may sound like a silly question but I need to know; whats the difference between degree, PhD, Masters etc? All I know is Masters is the highest but I don't know anything else about them, could you kindly explain it to me? Cheers.

You can do loads of different types of jobs with an English degree, you would probably be able to find something you will enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    RE: What can I do with an English Degree

Newcastle Uni say:

"English students acquire a range of valuable skills, which they can transfer to many different employment situations. Their literary and linguistic training can be used in journalism, librarianship, teaching and the highly competitive fields of writing, acting and directing.

Through an English degree other skills are acquired such as the capacity to analyse and summarize material, to communicate, to work to a deadline, to argue a case, to work independently as well as collaboratively, to think logically and to be able to use computers.

Good English graduates bring all these skills to their places of employment, together with sensitivity to literature and language. This makes them good candidates for a wide range of careers including personnel, administration, management, marketing, computing science, finance and the media."

Job options site says:

Advertising account executive - acts as a link between three to four client accounts and the agency; has overall responsibility for the smooth running of a campaign; coordinates the activities of the advertising and administrative teams.

Arts administrator - provides administrative support for a wide range of arts and cultural organisations.

Academic librarian, Information officer/manager, Records manager - responsible for the acquisition, organisation and dissemination of information and materials within the library system or information unit.

Charity officer - responsibilities include aspects of marketing, public relations, organising events, finance, fund-raising and managing volunteers.

Editorial assistant - assists senior editorial staff in the administration of the commissioning, planning and production of books, journals and magazines.
    The recognised starting point for editorial and publishing careers.

English as a foreign language teacher/English as a second language teacher - teaching English to international students in either the UK or overseas.

Marketing executive - involved in business development, market research, planning, product development, pricing, packaging, advertising, PR and sales.

Newspaper journalist - researches and writes stories for publication in local, regional and national press.

Primary school teacher and Secondary school teacher - teaches in state and independent schools, sixth form and FE colleges.

Programme researcher, broadcasting/film/video – supports the production team, collects, verifies and prepares information for film, television and radio productions. This can be seen as apprenticeship for a production role.

Public relations officer - uses all forms of media and communication to build, maintain and manage the reputation of companies and organisations.

Runner, broadcasting/film/video - fetches, carries and does any small jobs needed for the production department of a film, video or television company. An entry level job into media production.

Should be something there to suite you. Oh and if you study for a degree in the US- thus living there for 2+ years you can apply for citzenship- wheter you will get it is doubtable.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.