Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    RE: types of degree

Associate’s degree

If you plan on entering a technical or vocational field, you may be interested in working toward an associate’s degree. Associate’s degrees can usually be earned in two years or less, and can be attained at all community colleges and some technical, vocational, and four-year colleges. If you complete a two-year program, you can earn an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or an Associate of Science (A.S.). A.A.s are usually earned in humanities and social science fields. A.S.s are awarded to those studying in scientific and technical fields. If you complete a two-year technical or vocational program, you can earn an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.). You may also have the option to use the credits from your associate’s degree toward a bachelor’s degree.

Bachelor's degree

If you attend a four-year college, you will probably be working toward a bachelor’s degree. Bachelor’s degrees are also referred to as undergraduate degrees. They require that you take a core of general education courses, including English, math, science and social sciences. In addition, you will focus on one main subject area as your “major.” There are different types of bachelor’s degrees, such as the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.). B.A.s are usually earned in humanities and social science fields. B.S.s are awarded to those studying in scientific and technical fields. Some colleges offer additional degrees, such as the Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) or the Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.). A bachelor’s degree not only prepares you for a good career, but is also necessary if you plan to work toward an advanced degree, such as a master’s, doctorate or professional degree.

Master’s degree

Upon completion of your bachelor’s degree, you may choose to attend graduate school and pursue a master’s degree. A master’s degree can help advance your career, and may be required for certain professionals, such as physical therapists, engineers and social workers. Getting into graduate school is competitive. It usually requires that you take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and complete specific undergraduate courses. If you think you may want to pursue a master’s degree, you’ll need to talk with your college advisor to make sure you take the right classes to prepare for graduate school. Most master’s degree programs take at least two years to complete. Just like the bachelor’s degree, there are different types of master’s degrees. Examples of some of the most common are Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.S.), Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), and Master of Education (M.Ed.).

Doctoral degree

The doctoral degree typically follows the master’s degree. However in some fields, you may be able to proceed directly to the doctorate without completing a master’s. Attaining a doctoral degree generally takes anywhere from three to five years, or possibly longer to complete. Most students in the humanities are awarded the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), and students in education are awarded the Doctor of Education (Ed.D.).

Professional degree

Graduate degrees in the fields of law, business and medicine are often referred to as professional degrees. The Juris Doctor (JD), Master of Business Administration (MBA), and Doctor of Medicine (MD), are awarded upon the completion of Law, Business and Medical school respectively. Advanced degrees in other areas, such as journalism and architecture, may also be referred to as professional degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sweet Symphony)
    I don't think Anthropology appeals to me anymore, in psychology we had to learn about other psychologists works like Freud and Deregowski and I found that really boring... When you say it going to be very expensive, you mean like £1000+? Just taking that SATs examination or for the course?
    Course and accomodation I imagine - foreign students always pay way more for it than students of that country. That's how they make their money I think. And good choice about not doing anthropology, I congratulate you.

ReputationRep:
    So I can't do FBI cuz I'm british citzen and M15 is going to be hard to get cuz I only know one foreign language and English and its unlikely I'm going to Oxford or Cambridge.. Erm, I thought about getting into the police but I don't find their job exciting, the sterotypical image comes into my mind of sitting in a police car and munching on dougnuts.. Do you know what kinda jobs I'd be I'd get with an English degree? It seems I don't have much choices left anyway, and I want to do something academic too... Okay, this may sound like a silly question but I need to know; whats the difference between degree, PhD, Masters etc? All I know is Masters is the highest but I don't know anything else about them, could you kindly explain it to me? Cheers.
    Hehehe you have the funniest images in your mind of these jobs - and Masters isn't the highest, PhD is higher.

ReputationRep:
    Matthew, thank so much for all the infomation!! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Hehehe you have the funniest images in your mind of these jobs - and Masters isn't the highest, PhD is higher.

So Anthropology is out, I think I might do English Literature combined with a subject I don't know yet... Ages ago, I wanted to be a lawyer (well after I watched Legally Blonde... :rolleyes: ) but then I imagined I have to spend a sunny day inside a great dark courtroom talking about depressing events and stuff, so I got put off... What about being an enviromentalist? Do I get to spend time in the green woodlands or do I have to walk around with "Save our plant" t-shirts? Gosh, I really feel like I don't know anything anymore!!

Course and accomodation I imagine - foreign students always pay way more for it than students of that country. That's how they make their money.
    What about student exchange? Does that also charge you loads of £££? If I do study here, I would still have to move away from home because I live in central london and I don't know any universities around this area... so if I was to move, I would rather go to a place I've never been before..

ReputationRep:
    So Anthropology is out, I think I might do English Literature combined with a subject I don't know yet... Ages ago, I wanted to be a lawyer (well after I watched Legally Blonde... :rolleyes: ) but then I imagined I have to spend a sunny day inside a great dark courtroom talking about depressing events and stuff, so I got put off... What about being an enviromentalist? Do I get to spend time in the green woodlands or do I have to walk around with "Save our plant" t-shirts? Gosh, I really feel like I don't know anything anymore!!
    Probably the latter, but I wouldn't really know

What about student exchange? Does that also charge you loads of £££? If I do study here, I would still have to move away from home because I live in central london and I don't know any universities around this area... so if I was to move, I would rather go to a place I've never been before..
    Sorry I really don't know about student exchange. Probably don't charge you. And are you sure LSE, Imperial, UCL, SOAS etc aren't near you? I kinda see where you're coming from about moving out but if I lived in central London I wouldn't be complaining ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Probably the latter, but I wouldn't really know

Sorry I really don't know about student exchange. Probably don't charge you. And are you sure LSE, Imperial, UCL, SOAS etc aren't near you? I kinda see where you're coming from about moving out but if I lived in central London I wouldn't be complaining ;-)
    Imperial is near the airport, so its like about 45min/1hr away from me, I don't know where the SOAS, UCL & LSE are, but I wouldn't want to go to a Uni near home anyway, I just wanna get out of the city I've lived in all my life! I much rather live somewhere where I can go horse-riding!!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Hi everyone, I really really need advice about what I should do now... I wanted to do forensic science in Uni combined with something else but after my Biology result, I don't think I can!
    Have you phoned the uni to ask?

I'm interested in the whole M15, secret agent thing, but I haven't got a clue how to get into that..
    Politics, international relations, international history.....Any of those subjects at a decent university and you may have a chance. They test you in your final year if there are spaces.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't called any Universities because I don't know what Uni I'm gonna go to and I don't know how I'm going to perform in my A2 Biology exam and my AS Biology re-sits...
    I haven't done Gov.& Politics for AS and I've never learnt international history and relations (but i've done GCSE History- i didn't particularly enjoy it.. ) I just wanna do something fun and academic at the same time becuz I'm the kinda person who get bored easily and seeks adventure... but I don't wanna lose the 'brainy' side of me either... I'm starting to realise now there's no such thing as a 'fun & academic' subject

ReputationRep:
    Matthew, thank so much for all the infomation!! :hugs:
    I aim to please- though I still think you would do better than you think in the police service. If you want adventure and change-ability (sp?) it is the right place- I only say that because I am interested in it though you probabley couldn't think of anything worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew1989)
    I aim to please- though I still think you would do better than you think in the police service. If you want adventure and change-ability (sp?) it is the right place- I only say that because I am interested in it though you probabley couldn't think of anything worse
    :p: Okay, you promise you won't laugh if I tell you the main reason why I'm edging away from the idea of joining police service... I don't like their uniform!! :rolleyes: I know its such a stupid reason, but I would never want to wear something like that!! The policemen look alright, but the female look soo masculine in it!! What about undercover cops? Would I also get to travel around or do I stay in like one city? Also, I find policemen are rather intimidating and don't want to be mean to anyone and the idea of arresting someone is just as scary as myself being arrested! :eek: :eek:

I did Physics at the start of my AS year but I dropped it for Psychology after a few months, I only took Physics because I love the whole Cosmology part and I wanted to study that on its own instead of 'the 1st law of thermodynamics' and stuff... so is there absolutely anyway I could get into learning about cosmo and being an astronaut? (don't laugh :rolleyes: ) What abot joing the Air Force and becoming a fighter pilot? - Like I said, I haven't got a clue about how to get into any of these...

ReputationRep:
    hehehe you're crazy

ReputationRep:
    I know and I can't help it! :rolleyes: You should have seen me a year ago, I was determined to become a film actress (but I was very good at drama) then soon after I decided to become a musician because I can play piano, clarinet, violin and can sing. Then I went all gothic and decided to become a rock star! :eek: Now, all thats left of my ambitions is a HUGE question mark over my head and a dazed expression.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, wait a minute Ace is Back, its 04:22 in the morning now, what are you doing online? :eek: (I have an excuse - I was asleep all day and I woke up around 10) but whats your excuse?

ReputationRep:
    I live in Australia for now ;-) it's around lunchtime

As for your job choices, become a spy, pleeeeease. That would so damn unbelievably ridiculously cool - plus you get paid shitloads for your work and get to follow people around in cars and have road chases and stuff. Go to university, get a degree in a language and go work for MI5. Or Air Force pilot would be ok, I suppose, but don't be an astronaut that would be rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Well Astronauts have incredibley boring jobs because they go up into space possibly once every 5 years. The rest is traning- and also not that many Astronauts are needed. I assume that academically they have to be quite good.

CID policemen (detectives) are non-uniformed but you need to wear the female uniform for two years before you can apply for CID. And police forces control one huge area (e.g. Thames Valley or Surrey) so if you worked in one area you could potentially get sent to any bit of that area (exspecially if you worked in CID.)

To be brutally honest you don't have that much chance of becoming a fighter pilot (well not you inparticular but there are litereally hundreds of people applying for each post so it is a tougth game). I am not saying it is impossible but you have to really really want it- the compitition is that fearce; there are people applying for it that would sell the Gran's to be a pilot (well maybe not sell their Gran but you get the idea).

Also you apply to be an officer not a pilot- then you take the aptitude tests and they tell you what you are allowed to be. Oh and there is only the position "pilot" so if you apply and get through basic traning they could pottentially put you on helicopters, fast jet, rotary, transport etc- very bad idea actually to say "I want to be a fighter pilot!" It just dosen't work like that.

I am getting an intense feeling that you get bored easily. Perhaps you could try and become a tele presenter and attempt to get on an show such as Blue Peter where you can try out so many different activities.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Australia for now ;-) it's around lunchtime

As for your job choices, become a spy, pleeeeease. That would so damn unbelievably ridiculously cool - plus you get paid shitloads for your work and get to follow people around in cars and have road chases and stuff. Go to university, get a degree in a language and go work for MI5. Or Air Force pilot would be ok, I suppose, but don't be an astronaut that would be rubbish.
    Hehehe, thats actually really funny, thats kinda how I thought it to be, like Brian O'Conner's role in 'Fast and Furious'; road chases, and spying on people... That would be awesome, but I can't do a degree in a language, I'm only very fluent in English and the other language isn't my strongest point either... how can I study something like spanish or italian in Uni if I don't speak a word of it? Would they even let me on the course? The only perfectly fluent foreign language I know is elven language...Haha, I'm kidding! :p: Can be a spy without studing a language? Would English count as a language? What about a spy who goes and spies on other goverments and military? Sherlock holmes had a cool job!

ReputationRep:
    Well Astronauts have incredibley boring jobs because they go up into space possibly once every 5 years. The rest is traning- and also not that many Astronauts are needed. I assume that academically they have to be quite good.

CID policemen (detectives) are non-uniformed but you need to wear the female uniform for two years before you can apply for CID. And police forces control one huge area (e.g. Thames Valley or Surrey) so if you worked in one area you could potentially get sent to any bit of that area (exspecially if you worked in CID.)

To be brutally honest you don't have that much chance of becoming a fighter pilot (well not you inparticular but there are litereally hundreds of people applying for each post so it is a tougth game). I am not saying it is impossible but you have to really really want it- the compitition is that fearce; there are people applying for it that would sell the Gran's to be a pilot (well maybe not sell their Gran but you get the idea).

Also you apply to be an officer not a pilot- then you take the aptitude tests and they tell you what you are allowed to be. Oh and there is only the position "pilot" so if you apply and get through basic traning they could pottentially put you on helicopters, fast jet, rotary, transport etc- very bad idea actually to say "I want to be a fighter pilot!" It just dosen't work like that.

I am getting an intense feeling that you get bored easily. Perhaps you could try and become a tele presenter and attempt to get on an show such as Blue Peter where you can try out so many different activities.
    Okay, so becoming a fight pilot and astronaut is out of the question. CID policemen seem interesting but the 2 years with that uniform would kill me..
    TV presenting sounds like an ideal job, but I'm terrified of presenting live TV, I become very accident-prone when I'm nervous and I hate awkward situations...

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so becoming a fight pilot and astronaut is out of the question. CID policemen seem interesting but the 2 years with that uniform would kill me..
    TV presenting sounds like an ideal job, but I'm terrified of presenting live TV, I become very accident-prone when I'm nervous and I hate awkward situations...
    Well aint you easy to please. And I beleive you deffinatly need to be fluent in a few languages- it is likely that they have the same ciritcal skills as the FBI (though who knows this is a secret service- they are probabley monitoring this thread checking we don't know too much .) God perhaps you are actually a spy trying to get me to tell you how much I really know- scary; I will expect to be assasinated soon .

ReputationRep:
    Well aint you easy to please. And I beleive you deffinatly need to be fluent in a few languages- it is likely that they have the same ciritcal skills as the FBI (though who knows this is a secret service- they are probabley monitoring this thread checking we don't know too much .) God perhaps you are actually a spy trying to get me to tell you how much I really know- scary; I will expect to be assasinated soon .
    Haha, I wish! I would be rewarded greatly among my colleagues + my boss after I find the culprit, the person leaking all the top-secret information to strangers on the net! :champ:
    Hmmm, I can't do FBI, cuz I'm not fluent in many languages, and studying a language in Uni isn't exactly my idea of adventure... What about a world-class renown photographer who travels around the world getting all the best nature pictues? OOhh, I got a great idea, what about being one of those people who go on Safari and study and film wild animals?! There's stuff like 'Big Cat Diaries' + 'Crocodile Diaries' maybe I could do somthing like 'Monkey or Dolphin Diaries'.... :s: I sound very silly I guess.. :rolleyes:
    I just found this great web page 'http://www.doi.gov/octc/typescar.html' and I realised what I want to do... I want to be a be a researcher! I love the idea of being asked to find out about someone/something's top secret information or history and delve myself in books and travelling to find out more information... that would be so cool but is there such job? :confused: Also could you tell me info into becoming an archaeologist? I fancy the idea of looking for mummies in al egyptian tombs..

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.