dissertation-write it in 1st/2nd/3rd person?

Watch
Sunflowerbee
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
--
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You write it objectively.

You refrain from voicing your own opinion in the first person.

You should present arguments on both sides, using phrases such as "Some academics believe that..." and "Others may argue that....".

You need to present a balanced argument - disregard your own perspective.
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sunflowerbee)
Thanks, I guess i've kind of done that, I dont mention myself at all.
I'm talking about a style movement (punk) but i've written things like
"Some people believe that...", "she was more influential than...", "they admired her honesty...", "people were..."
It's not right is it..?

We didn't have to do any studies, or look at any studies or do any surveys/questionnaires, it was just the usual research. I feel so dumb talking about this, i really don't have a clue..
ugh, i know i'm gonna have to write it again.

Edit: i think i've figured it out now )
Objective is the key - not subjective.

Look up the definition for each online, you will see what I mean
Adorno
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aack)
No, you present an argument - your argument - or else what is the point of an essay? Objectivity in a subject will be a contested realm and in any case, it is impossible to be 100% objective in the non-sciences. If the person writing the essay recognises subjectivity, recognises the imprint of background and ideology on a person, they will write a far superior essay than the person muddling about trying to be objective by presenting both sides.

You should present arguments on both sides, using phrases such as "Some academics believe that..." and "Others may argue that....".
Urgh. Who on earth told you to do that? OP, really avoid using this rubbish. When I'm marking papers, I don't credit stock phrases such as that. If you read journal articles, do they use "some academics believe that"? No, because it's nonsense language to employ.
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sunflowerbee)
Thanks, I guess i've kind of done that, I dont mention myself at all.
I'm talking about a style movement (punk) but i've written things like
"Some people believe that...", "she was more influential than...", "they admired her honesty...", "people were..."
It's not right is it..?
No, it's horrific style. The best way of writing is to be as informal as you can be but still be authoritative in tone. You don't really need to employ stock phrases such as "some people believe that" because the person marking the paper will immediately ask: who. For example:

Some people believe that god is a woman.

Or:

'The femininity of God', writes Germaine Greer, 'is clearly established in such and such passage of the New Testament'. The passage referred to by Greer ....

Which is more indicative of what people are saying and whom?
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Adorno)
Urgh. Who on earth told you to do that? OP, really avoid using this rubbish. When I'm marking papers, I don't credit stock phrases such as that. If you read journal articles, do they use "some academics believe that"? No, because it's nonsense language to employ.
When you're writing journal articles, you are in a completely different league.

I do law and this is what we're taught. Don't be so obtuse.
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, it's horrific style. The best way of writing is to be as informal as you can be but still be authoritative in tone. You don't really need to employ stock phrases such as "some people believe that" because the person marking the paper will immediately ask: who. For example:

Some people believe that god is a woman.

Or:

'The femininity of God', writes Germaine Greer, 'is clearly established in such and such passage of the New Testament'. The passage referred to by Greer ....

Which is more indicative of what people are saying and whom?
Are you seriously suggesting that my examples should be directly employed in her essay?? They were just that - examples.
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aack)
When you're writing journal articles, you are in a completely different league.

I do law and this is what we're taught. Don't be so obtuse.
I'm a PhD history student so you'd think I might know how to write things... a person writing a journal article is still writing an essay. It is style that is desired and will access higher marks in essays. Why? Because most marks schemes include for the very highest marks "of publishable quality" indicating that the ability to write as effectively as a journal article is a desired quality of assessed essay writing at university.

I should also point out that I teach and mark at the undergraduate level.
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aack)
Are you seriously suggesting that my examples should be directly employed in her essay?? They were just that - examples.
I'm suggesting your advice is flawed.
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a PhD history student so you'd think I might know how to write things... a person writing a journal article is still writing an essay. It is style that is desired and will access higher marks in essays. Why? Because most marks schemes include for the very highest marks "of publishable quality" indicating that the ability to write as effectively as a journal article is a desired quality of assessed essay writing at university.

The fact that you're a PhD student shows nothing more than arrogance - the only pre-requisite is a degree, which is the level I am at.

The fact is, the assessment criteria will differ according to institution. Maybe the OP should direct her attention there and get back to us.
hajidel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Writing dissos and reports at uni should almost always be in the 3rd person without a doubt....
Footballfiend08
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Ive just finished writing my dissertation and im the processes of touching it up. What is the best way to write it in terms of tenses and making arguments??
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Footballfiend08)
Ive just finished writing my dissertation and im the processes of touching it up. What is the best way to write it in terms of tenses and making arguments??
In general, you would endeavour to avoid using the first person in the central body of the essay - academics are divided on the level of informality that is tolerated in the introduction and conclusion (i.e. I will argue that ... in place of it is argued below that) but it's probably safest to use the more formal language.

In general you would use present tense for quotations and the general form of the essay. For example:

Instead of Schama has written that "Britain is cool", you ought to try and make the quotation flow. 'Britain', writes Simon Schama, 'is cool'.

Contrary to Mill, this paper argues that Liberty relies on social construction.

This helps you keep your prose in a neater form and that everything hangs together rather than information seeming to come out of nowhere in the paragraph.
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aack)
The fact is, the assessment criteria will differ according to institution. Maybe the OP should direct her attention there and get back to us.
They don't really differ that much.
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They don't really differ that much.
Well yours and mine clearly do.
The Boosh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aack)

You refrain from voicing your own opinion in the first person.

You need to present a balanced argument - disregard your own perspective.
There are contexts where all of this is important, but I would like to add that the nature of the dissertation topic determines the style of writing. A dissertation can be deeply personal in nature which in turn requires a first-personal position. Many academic books that are informed by an interpretivist/critical tradition have first personal passages to acknowledge the position of the author. It's common practice in some circles.

I say this as somebody who has written two dissertations, a doctoral thesis and as somebody with peer-reviewed publications in academic journals. I'm not here to argue or gloat, but just to make it clear to the OP that the nature of the dissertation topic determines the style of writing, and that your description of how to approach the writing of a dissertation is useful in some cases, but not all.

Further, there must be some personal argument in the dissertation otherwise it would be merely an impartial literature review (which is unlikely to receive a good grade). However, whether this argument is conducted it the first person or not depends on context.
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Aack)
Well yours and mine clearly do.
Well, stylistic conventions in academe are really quite consistent. Whether your desire to contradict my every turn is willing to allow for that is another matter. But, of course, this isn't about you, it's about guiding the OP and others who have asked in writing strong essays which present an argument in a coherent form and thereby accessing as high a mark as possible. I've offered up my advice and critiqued that which you've given. It's up to the OP if they decide to heed your advice, mine, or neither.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are you not supposed to evidence independent thought in a good diss? I'm pretty sure that that is a milestone you must pass to achieve a 1st in it, at least under UCL marking criteria. How are you supposed to express independent thought in 3rd person without sounding like a pretentious weirdo?
The Boosh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TurboCretin)
Are you not supposed to evidence independent thought in a good diss? I'm pretty sure that that is a milestone you must pass to achieve a 1st in it, at least under UCL marking criteria. How are you supposed to express independent thought in 3rd person without sounding like a pretentious weirdo?
It's certainly an acquired skill. I started writing in the third person as an undergraduate in History and it soon became intuitive (though my English papers were not typically in 3rd person). However, I totally agree with you regarding the need for personal argument. I honestly don't know if anybody would be offered a third without such an argument.
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
It's certainly an acquired skill. I started writing in the third person as an undergraduate in History and it soon became intuitive (though my English papers were not typically in 3rd person).
Telling me Booshy! It has reached the stage now where the use of 'one' brings the present author out in essay-related goosepimples.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (8)
5.59%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.78%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
16.78%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.48%

Watched Threads