The Student Room Group

Want my boyfriend to be more assertive sexually

Right, something has been really annoying me about my boyfriend.

Firstly, he wasn't experienced when we first met but we have been together a year now. Butt when it comes to having sex he never just 'does it' he always kind of approaches the subject really gently but not at all subtly. For example, we'll be lying in bed and I can tell he's horny but instead of just taking my clothes, taking his clothes off and ******* me he just keeps asking what I want to do and then when I say something like oh maybe I'll get up he just keeps kissing me to stop me from getting up and then he'll say something like why don't we just take our clothes off. Or make up some kind of excuse as to why we should take our clothes off.

I don't know if I'm really making any sense here but I really want him to take control. I've told him this but he just still seems to shy about it. I don't know. It just really annoys me sometimes so I'll be deliberately obstinate even though I know what he wants. I just want him to do it and not feel like he has to ask every time now. I understand if we were in the beginning of the relationship but I would like it if he was more explicit about what he wants...
Reply 1
Tell him you want him to walkin and dominate you, that he should lead the interaction. That there should be less talking and more doing on his part.
Reply 2
Well I think it would be best to talk to him more about it. You said you have before but has it been just once? Maybe you can help him by giving him suggestions and sort of pushing him in the right direction. Something like.. "I think it's really hot when you don't ask me what I want to do but just go ahead and..." or "I know you're kind of shy about this but I would really like it...". If you make it more clear to him what you would like and help him get there then I think you would see some change.
Reply 3
Well if he's inexperienced he might just be scared? If he's terrified about everything he's not exactly going to just bend you over and **** you like there's no tomorrow is he?

What happened when you spoke to him? If you try talking to him again explaining it's ok to be more assertive/a bit rougher/**** the hell out of you and you like that. I imagine if you pressure him though it will just exacerbate the situation.

How about trying to incorporate him being more aggresive into some kind of fantasy? It's not for me to suggest but something that needs him to be "assertive".

Or perhaps he's just massively submissive and will never make a move?
Reply 4
Zinfandel
Well if he's inexperienced he might just be scared? If he's terrified about everything he's not exactly going to just bend you over and **** you like there's no tomorrow is he?

What happened when you spoke to him? If you try talking to him again explaining it's ok to be more assertive/a bit rougher/**** the hell out of you and you like that. I imagine if you pressure him though it will just exacerbate the situation.

How about trying to incorporate him being more aggresive into some kind of fantasy? It's not for me to suggest but something that needs him to be "assertive".

Or perhaps he's just massively submissive and will never make a move?

I don't know. I don't want to scare him but we've been together a year now I would have hoped we were comfortable enough with each other now. He does enjoy being in control when we're actually doing it, it's just the initiating that he seems to be nervous about. I don't know what he's scared of.

I suppose I could talk to him about it. Last time I just asked him why he kept hinting at us having sex instead of just doing it. It's just that we'll be lying down or whatever and kissing and it's clear that we're both up for it but instead of doing anything he just lies there for ages and then finally makes hints when I don't start taking my clothes off or say that I'm going to do something else. It gets kind of boring and kills the mood, at least for me.

I don't mind making the first move some of the time but even sometimes when I do go to take his t shirt off or something he still seems slightly shy about doing the same to me
Reply 5
n0c0ntr0l
Tell him you want him to walkin and dominate you, that he should lead the interaction. That there should be less talking and more doing on his part.

Give it a few weeks of this, we will have her back on here asking why her bf never talks and just ****s..... there are no pleasing women.
Reply 6
Anonymous
I don't know. I don't want to scare him but we've been together a year now I would have hoped we were comfortable enough with each other now. He does enjoy being in control when we're actually doing it, it's just the initiating that he seems to be nervous about. I don't know what he's scared of.

I suppose I could talk to him about it. Last time I just asked him why he kept hinting at us having sex instead of just doing it. It's just that we'll be lying down or whatever and kissing and it's clear that we're both up for it but instead of doing anything he just lies there for ages and then finally makes hints when I don't start taking my clothes off or say that I'm going to do something else. It gets kind of boring and kills the mood, at least for me.

I don't mind making the first move some of the time but even sometimes when I do go to take his t shirt off or something he still seems slightly shy about doing the same to me

Well perhaps you could just be implicit about the situation. If you literally tell him in that time where it's clear it's going there but he's either too scared or doesn't understand "I want you to **** me" or anything similarly blunt then he might start to recognise when you want it.

It is odd after a year he seems unable to initiate sex but he might just be scared of offended you. Perhaps you could talk to him about how even if he tries to initiate sex and you knock him back it's not the end of the world and it's nothing to be embarrassed upset about?
Reply 7
4TSR
Give it a few weeks of this, we will have her back on here asking why her bf never talks and just ****s..... there are no pleasing women.

Hahahahaha. I salute you sir.

This goes with my theory of "Women want exactly the opposite of what you're giving".
Reply 8
so many hoes these days
Anonymous

Firstly, he wasn't experienced when we first met but we have been together a year now. Butt when it comes to having sex he never just 'does it' he always kind of approaches the subject really gently but not at all subtly. For example, we'll be lying in bed and I can tell he's horny but instead of just taking my clothes, taking his clothes off and ******* me he just keeps asking what I want to do and then when I say something like oh maybe I'll get up he just keeps kissing me to stop me from getting up and then he'll say something like why don't we just take our clothes off. Or make up some kind of excuse as to why we should take our clothes off.

I don't know if I'm really making any sense here but I really want him to take control. I've told him this but he just still seems to shy about it. I don't know. It just really annoys me sometimes so I'll be deliberately obstinate even though I know what he wants. I just want him to do it and not feel like he has to ask every time now. I understand if we were in the beginning of the relationship but I would like it if he was more explicit about what he wants...

I don't think you've made it obvious enough how annoying it is to you that he doesn't show confidence in bed. Stuff like this could threaten the relationship though, so you need to be really straightforward with him. At the same time, start of by positively reinforcing whenever he does take control, that way over time he'll become conditioned to be confident when and where he/you want it.
I'd talk to your boyfriend, rather than posting your sex life on an internet forum :smile:.
Reply 11
Tell him exactly what you told us! Seriously, there's no better way for him to understand than for you to just speak to him and spell out what you want.
Once again, talky talky talky, it probably works.
But it's not his fault if he's uncomfortable with talking about sex, maybe you should help him out a bit by showing him you are. Tell him exactly what you want from him, and then tell him to do it. You might also want to find out why he's not ok with simply turning to you and asking if you want to have love with him.
Anonymous

you make sense and i find this so funny! He must be such a geek :rolleyes: ....like many other TSR-ers.:P
Are you more experienced than him?
Tbh, you shouldn't let it get in the way of a relationship. At least he wants to have sex with you! Could've been worse :o:
If he needs time to get comfortable, then let him. The end result is the same - You get laid!

Latest

Trending

Trending