Turn on thread page Beta

Cover letters for US college applications watch

ReputationRep:
    does anyone applying to a us university intend to enclose a cover letter with their applications? who do you address it to? i mean, "dear admissions committee" sounds kinda lame.

sluggy

ReputationRep:
    You could try 'To whom it may conern'

ReputationRep:
    Or, 'Dear Sir/Madam'.

ReputationRep:
    Ask here: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/

I was thinking about applying to US colleges and this forum was really really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I've just applied to US unis, and didn't bother including a cover letter - why are you thinking of enclosing one? I think they are slightly wary of getting these from candidates, although if you have special circumstances or something they need to know then it's worth doing.

But to start it, saying "Dear Sir/Madam" or "Dear Admissions Office" would be sbsolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt a cover letter would be appreciated. Americans aren't like Brits.

When I lived in the UK I had a 3 page CV with all kinds of info on it.
    When I came to the US I quickly learn't that a 1 page resume containing the absolute basics is all the Americans can stomach.

Americans aren't big on corrrespondence and in my experience really hate long eloquenty drafted letters/CV's/applications.

Don't get me wrong. A cover letter won't get your application thrown out. But, your letter will almost certainly be filed in the shredder by a very disinterested admissions secretary.

ReputationRep:
    hi =)

yeah, that's true. i dont think it's necessary at all. I apply to quite a lot of US universities. what you have to send is just the application forms. you also have to have your school send and official transcript of your grades.

another useful forum is http://discuss.princetonreview.com

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.