Turn on thread page Beta

Should there be armed police on aircraft?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've seen this question in the paper n i didn't know wot the think??
    What do YOU think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tribi18)
    What do YOU think?
    Only on some flights, e.g. particular transatlantic flights or London to Middle East. But not on your average EasyJet from Luton to Alicante!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    Only on some flights, e.g. particular transatlantic flights or London to Middle East. But not on your average EasyJet from Luton to Alicante!
    Erm....what makes you think there won't be any terrorists on flights such as from Luton to Alicante? Why should it be particular to Middle-Eastern flights?

ReputationRep:
    What do YOU think?
    Guns shouldn't be allowed on planes, simply because it is far too dangerous to fire a gun in a confined space. I'd accept tasers, just, but not guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Erm....what makes you think there won't be any terrorists on flights such as from Luton to Alicante? Why should it be particular to Middle-Eastern flights?
    Good point, but I just think that the other fights I mentioned would be more of a target. And clearly the airlines think this also, as BA stopped all flights to Iraq etc a while ago (not sure if they have been resumed or not).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    Guns shouldn't be allowed on planes, simply because it is far too dangerous to fire a gun in a confined space. I'd accept tasers, just, but not guns.
    they're using rubber bullets strong enough to incapaciatte a threatening person, but not puncture the aircraft.

i'm actually in facvour of this, surprisingly - look at it this way, we're not going to know they are on te flight, but they WILL be there to protect us in an emergency, and there is little chance of a mishap. meh, i think its an ok idea, im just duboius as to whether they'll actually catch anyone. i'd have thougth most terroroists would be clever enough not to use planes by now!!!

ReputationRep:
    Or they could research a new material that will make the aircraft bullet and bomb-proof but also light enough to fly. Don't they have this on Air Force One?

ReputationRep:
    Or they could research a new material that will make the aircraft bullet and bomb-proof but also light enough to fly. Don't they have this on Air Force One?
    The bomb explodes inside the aircraft... the aircraft may be bomb-proof, but what about the passengers?

ReputationRep:
    ... i thought it was the pressure the bomb exerts on the walls of the plane that causes the explosion, not the blast itslef? that'd have to eb quite a material?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnewThat!)
    The bomb explodes inside the aircraft... the aircraft may be bomb-proof, but what about the passengers?
    the risk is of hijacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    the risk is of hijacking.
    Oh sorry, I was talking of suicide bombers.
    Must remember to explain myself!

ReputationRep:
    What do YOU think?
    Its a great plan, until the system is infiltrated by terror networks. What happens when a potential terrorist is put on a plane with a gun and the potential to kill passengers and even to hijack the plane. I accept that this is not likely to happen with the tight Western security that would be safeguarding the system, but then again, you can never be sure, can you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuck!!!!)
    Its a great plan, until the system is infiltrated by terror networks. What happens when a potential terrorist is put on a plane with a gun and the potential to kill passengers and even to hijack the plane. I accept that this is not likely to happen with the tight Western security that would be safeguarding the system, but then again, you can never be sure, can you?
    Thats good thinking but I think they will do like a system like as diplomats as well. i.e. the 3rd generation will only be abale to enter the diplomatic service, and also they have checks such as even if small connections then they are not allowed to carry guns etc. A bit like choosing bodyguards for the President of the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuck!!!!)
    or, even easier, a terrorist becomes a pilot? i think we've always had that risk.

ReputationRep:
    No way! I wouldn't feel safe if I knew there was a gun on board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    or, even easier, a terrorist becomes a pilot? i think we've always had that risk.
    That would take over 20 years of training. And it is diffucult enough to be a pilot already...You will have to kill the other 2 people in the flight cabin and have to lock the door...but potentially it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    No way! I wouldn't feel safe if I knew there was a gun on board.
    Yes, but in whose hands though?

ReputationRep:
    What do YOU think?
    Yes. End of discussion.

ReputationRep:
    what if terrorists stole the gun from the guards? could be done, but they would need to know who the guards were. there are still ways of doing it though, no matter how careful the guards are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    what if terrorists stole the gun from the guards? could be done, but they would need to know who the guards were. there are still ways of doing it though, no matter how careful the guards are
    What have you been watching? 'Air force one'? 'Passenger 57'? lol.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.