Should there be armed police on aircraft??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Tribi18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've seen this question in the paper n i didn't know wot the think??
What do YOU think?
YouKnewThat!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tribi18)
What do YOU think?
Only on some flights, e.g. particular transatlantic flights or London to Middle East. But not on your average EasyJet from Luton to Alicante!
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by YouKnewThat!)
Only on some flights, e.g. particular transatlantic flights or London to Middle East. But not on your average EasyJet from Luton to Alicante!
Erm....what makes you think there won't be any terrorists on flights such as from Luton to Alicante? Why should it be particular to Middle-Eastern flights?
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What do YOU think?
Guns shouldn't be allowed on planes, simply because it is far too dangerous to fire a gun in a confined space. I'd accept tasers, just, but not guns.
YouKnewThat!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Erm....what makes you think there won't be any terrorists on flights such as from Luton to Alicante? Why should it be particular to Middle-Eastern flights?
Good point, but I just think that the other fights I mentioned would be more of a target. And clearly the airlines think this also, as BA stopped all flights to Iraq etc a while ago (not sure if they have been resumed or not).
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
Guns shouldn't be allowed on planes, simply because it is far too dangerous to fire a gun in a confined space. I'd accept tasers, just, but not guns.
they're using rubber bullets strong enough to incapaciatte a threatening person, but not puncture the aircraft.

i'm actually in facvour of this, surprisingly - look at it this way, we're not going to know they are on te flight, but they WILL be there to protect us in an emergency, and there is little chance of a mishap. meh, i think its an ok idea, im just duboius as to whether they'll actually catch anyone. i'd have thougth most terroroists would be clever enough not to use planes by now!!!
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Or they could research a new material that will make the aircraft bullet and bomb-proof but also light enough to fly. Don't they have this on Air Force One?
YouKnewThat!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Or they could research a new material that will make the aircraft bullet and bomb-proof but also light enough to fly. Don't they have this on Air Force One?
The bomb explodes inside the aircraft... the aircraft may be bomb-proof, but what about the passengers?
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
... i thought it was the pressure the bomb exerts on the walls of the plane that causes the explosion, not the blast itslef? that'd have to eb quite a material?
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by YouKnewThat!)
The bomb explodes inside the aircraft... the aircraft may be bomb-proof, but what about the passengers?
the risk is of hijacking.
YouKnewThat!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
the risk is of hijacking.
Oh sorry, I was talking of suicide bombers.
Must remember to explain myself!
stuck!!!!
Report 16 years ago
What do YOU think?
Its a great plan, until the system is infiltrated by terror networks. What happens when a potential terrorist is put on a plane with a gun and the potential to kill passengers and even to hijack the plane. I accept that this is not likely to happen with the tight Western security that would be safeguarding the system, but then again, you can never be sure, can you?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by stuck!!!!)
Its a great plan, until the system is infiltrated by terror networks. What happens when a potential terrorist is put on a plane with a gun and the potential to kill passengers and even to hijack the plane. I accept that this is not likely to happen with the tight Western security that would be safeguarding the system, but then again, you can never be sure, can you?
Thats good thinking but I think they will do like a system like as diplomats as well. i.e. the 3rd generation will only be abale to enter the diplomatic service, and also they have checks such as even if small connections then they are not allowed to carry guns etc. A bit like choosing bodyguards for the President of the USA.
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by stuck!!!!)
or, even easier, a terrorist becomes a pilot? i think we've always had that risk.
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No way! I wouldn't feel safe if I knew there was a gun on board.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by edders)
or, even easier, a terrorist becomes a pilot? i think we've always had that risk.
That would take over 20 years of training. And it is diffucult enough to be a pilot already...You will have to kill the other 2 people in the flight cabin and have to lock the door...but potentially it is possible.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
No way! I wouldn't feel safe if I knew there was a gun on board.
Yes, but in whose hands though?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What do YOU think?
Yes. End of discussion.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what if terrorists stole the gun from the guards? could be done, but they would need to know who the guards were. there are still ways of doing it though, no matter how careful the guards are
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
what if terrorists stole the gun from the guards? could be done, but they would need to know who the guards were. there are still ways of doing it though, no matter how careful the guards are
What have you been watching? 'Air force one'? 'Passenger 57'? lol.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (19)
41.3%
Take exams next summer (11)
23.91%
Change uni choice through clearing (11)
23.91%
Apply to uni next year instead (4)
8.7%
I'm not applying to university (1)
2.17%

Watched Threads