Watch
This discussion is closed.
member5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey guys

Well I have been unsuccesfull in getting a place here in the UK, and I am now thinking of going to india to study dentistry and coming back here after the 4 years (course there is 4yrs) and then doing the ORE exam in order to practice here as a dentist. I chose India because I go there every summer holidays and I am quite use to the lifestyle there and also I have a house in the city where the university is. The university is a well recognised and good university and has a good dental course and are ready to accept me. I do not want to go to europe because I have heard that the fail rate there is quite high and also the language is very difficult and in the course itself is very hard and apprantly you have to learn medicine there too as my family friend told me. The ORE exam is difficult I know but many dentists from abroad pass it so I do not see why I woudnt be able to.

So do you guys thinks this is wise and what are your thoughts about this? Is doing something as drastic as this worth it?

Please help.
B940
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go for it!
coolcat34
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i don't think you need to learn medicine in Europe any more, it used to be like that years ago. the language would be an issue, I agree.
Find out first how difficult it is to sit the ORE exam and also do your research around immigration issues, it's gone really strict in medicine and it's very difficult for non EU doctors to come here.
It may also be an issue if the course is not taught in English; it certainly is in medicine.
I think your best bet is to phone the General Dental Council and ask them everything.
member5
Rep:
?
Hey coolcat

Thanks for your reply, erm i think medicine is still taught as part of dentistry because I have a family friend there whos in the 3rd year and he said that you have to study medicine aswell.

Immigration wont be a problem because I am a british national so I will be able to come back and work here as long as I pass the ORE to practise as a dentist. So getting a job wont be that much of a problem as Iam a british national just with an overseas qulaification.

The ORE is difficult as a few family friends who are dentists coming from india have told me but as long as you study and prepare for it properly I should be fine, and also there are a few courses here in the UK at some of the universities which help you prepare and practice at a cost.

My only worry about going to India is the ORE and passing it.
coolcat34
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh where is that? I really thought they stopped doing it, i spoke to somebody in Prague a couple of years ago as my brother in law was considering going there and they told me they no longer use the old system of studying medicine first and then dentistry.
Denthrax
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by member5)
Hey coolcat

Thanks for your reply, erm i think medicine is still taught as part of dentistry because I have a family friend there whos in the 3rd year and he said that you have to study medicine aswell.

Immigration wont be a problem because I am a british national so I will be able to come back and work here as long as I pass the ORE to practise as a dentist. So getting a job wont be that much of a problem as Iam a british national just with an overseas qulaification.

The ORE is difficult as a few family friends who are dentists coming from india have told me but as long as you study and prepare for it properly I should be fine, and also there are a few courses here in the UK at some of the universities which help you prepare and practice at a cost.

I know a few Dentists who qualified overseas and another issue is that when you've qualified, you can't just come and sit the exam! There is a very long waiting list, so be prepared and I believe there are 2 or 3 exams. Someone I know still has one part I think and he had his first part about two years ago I think, so do investigate it properly and be prepared!
Good luck.
freddyy_poo
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Denthrax)
I know a few Dentists who qualified overseas and another issue is that when you've qualified, you can't just come and sit the exam! There is a very long waiting list, so be prepared and I believe there are 2 or 3 exams. Someone I know still has one part I think and he had his first part about two years ago I think, so do investigate it properly and be prepared!
Good luck.
this is true if outside of europe, its hard to come back and practice, however if your inside europe like hungary or prague the registration is almost the same as uk dentists, no extra tests as confirmed by the GDC
prodigy92
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I personally recon its worth having a gap year to reapply, go travelling maybe, get more work experiance some volunteering and reapply in the UK. Uni's generally like reapplicats as it shows commitment to the subject! so ur more likley to get in, and less hastle of extra exams.

and if that fails, then go to India as a backup. Its a 4 yr course so u will still graduate at the same time as people starting the course in the uk this year!

edit; Out of intrest, which dental school in India did u plan to go to?
member5
Rep:
?
Hey guys

Thanks for the views, erm yes there is a waiting list to sit the ORE exam but if u pass everypart then it should only take about 6-12 months to be registered but obviously that easier said than done. As far as I know there are only 2 parts to the exam one theoritical and one practical.

the gap year issue i do have in mind but there is still no garuntee ill get in next year so Iam plannin to do the UKCAT again and if my score is high then I may reapply here or go to india. I still have not firmly decided.

The university i want to go to in india is the Bharatiya Vidyapeeth University in Pune.
Bright.Inspiration.
Badges: 10
Report 10 years ago
Hey guys

Well I have been unsuccesfull in getting a place here in the UK, and I am now thinking of going to india to study dentistry and coming back here after the 4 years (course there is 4yrs) and then doing the ORE exam in order to practice here as a dentist. I chose India because I go there every summer holidays and I am quite use to the lifestyle there and also I have a house in the city where the university is. The university is a well recognised and good university and has a good dental course and are ready to accept me. I do not want to go to europe because I have heard that the fail rate there is quite high and also the language is very difficult and in the course itself is very hard and apprantly you have to learn medicine there too as my family friend told me. The ORE exam is difficult I know but many dentists from abroad pass it so I do not see why I woudnt be able to.

So do you guys thinks this is wise and what are your thoughts about this? Is doing something as drastic as this worth it?

Please help.

Hi!
I was also considering to apply in india.
I'm going to apply here in the UK first and if i get all rejections then i may apply to india
do you know any good unis in india for dentistry?
drAyaan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by coolcat34)
i don't think you need to learn medicine in Europe any more, it used to be like that years ago. the language would be an issue, I agree.
Find out first how difficult it is to sit the ORE exam and also do your research around immigration issues, it's gone really strict in medicine and it's very difficult for non EU doctors to come here.
It may also be an issue if the course is not taught in English; it certainly is in medicine.
I think your best bet is to phone the General Dental Council and ask them everything.
No, its the same course as medicine with a few dental topics thrown in. I know someone who got kicked out of dental school for failing obstetrics and gynaecology. Ridiculous!
Magnanimity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dunno, I just read in the BDJ that dentistry teaching in India is basically pay to get a degree, with hospitals being so poor 2 or 3 patients turn up a day and they will make up fake records to meet requirements.

There are a few people in my hospital who have studied in foreign countries but are not allowed to practice here so are having to do further training. Involved supposedly qualified dentists observing and learning students

I don't think it's a good idea.
Tiaa
Report 9 years ago
I wonder what did you finally decide.. coz I am planning to study in India as well..BVP??
Although we have options of studying in Europe and skip ORE or study in India and do ORE and struggle for VT..I am completely confused which one to go for.. Europe or India?
byker123456
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey coolcat

Some1 told me the pass mark is really low. Lower than 50%. So it might be quite easy. The actual difficulty for foreign-trained dentists is passing the English Language requirements. I have also looked into this option if I do not get an offer from a UK uni. It looks quite attractive specially with the fees shooting up next year.
Jitesh123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm, i dont think the drop out rate is as high in poznan and krakow. the language barrier is small.
they are really brilliant unis.
i've even read bmj articles which point out that ore exams can be biased, especially the plab, where the examiner gives preference to those who are not Caucasian.
byker123456
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jitesh123)
Hmm, i dont think the drop out rate is as high in poznan and krakow. the language barrier is small.
they are really brilliant unis.
i've even read bmj articles which point out that ore exams can be biased, especially the plab, where the examiner gives preference to those who are not Caucasian.
During one of my dental interviews, I explained that if I were unsuccessful in getting a place at university I would go and study in India. The interview panel said the foreign dentists who sit the ORE exam tend to struggle on the English component rather than the technicalities of Dentistry. They also went to say that the pass mark was really low.
blissfulapple1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello, I recently started thinking about going to india to study dentistry. But i heard they need biology chemistry physics, but i've only got biology chemistry sociology and AS maths and gcse physics, do we need to have physics AS/A-level ?
Prada:)
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My friend qualified in Ukraine (5 years course) and she has been trying to pass ORE for 4 years, no success so far. Did you know that if you will pass ORE you will have to find a VT placement yourself? That is going to be quite tricky http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ob-in-NHS.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
blissfulapple1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Prada:))
My friend qualified in Ukraine (5 years course) and she has been trying to pass ORE for 4 years, no success so far. Did you know that if you will pass ORE you will have to find a VT placement yourself? That is going to be quite tricky http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ob-in-NHS.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks posting that information, thats absolutely terrible for her, i hope everthing will workout soon for her :/
memeber10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what did you do finally?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads