Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a classic skatey-tomboy type, and I always have my hair up in a high ponytail.. but the few times I've had my hair straightened (either by the hairdresser or friends) I've really liked my hair down. I think.. the time has come for me to purchase my own hair straighteners . But I have no idea what kind to get... one of my friends has these amazing GHD ones but says those don't work so well on longer hair as the plates are so thin?
    My budget is up to about £100.. and I have shoulder length hair which is usually hideously thick, wavy and frizzy when I have it down.. which straighteners would be the best for me? Ooh and what kinds of heat protective serum stuff are good?

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted GHD's but I don't use straighteners that often, maybe once a week or less, so I didn't see the point. I was gonna get a copy-cat version off Ebay but then I saw Babyliss Thermaglass 2160U straigtheners on sale in Wilkos for £19.99! I dunno how much longer this offer is going to be on but they're going fast. They sell in Boots for £60. Okay, so they're not GHD's, but they heat up to 200 c and have their own stand - useful cos I'm always worried about burning things! They work v well IMO and haven't dried/made my hair fall out like some straighteners have.

ReputationRep:
    My hair is the closest thing to an affro iv seen on a white person and it is about 3 inches below my shoulders. Iv had GHDs for 3 years now and theyr amazing! they are the best ones you can buy and completely worth it if you have thick/frizzy/coarse hair. the cheaper ones may work well for finer hair or hair that is nearly straight anyway, but if your hair is like mine you need to spend some money.

ReputationRep:
    I've got GHD's, don't use em often but if you're gonna get straighteners and ur budgets around 100 quid, you can't really go wrong with em. Loads of ppl borrow em off me at Uni, when they have their own straighteners cos GHDs are so good.

ReputationRep:
    GHD's definitely

ReputationRep:
    Ghd's definitely. The thin plates should be fine for long hair. I have long naturally curly hair which is very thick and i use the thin plates to straighten them no problem .

However, you can get the thicker plates on the ghds which are £100: http://www.ghdsonline.co.uk/salon.php

The thinner ghd plates are about £80.

Ghd's definitely though, they are a great investment!!!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers peoples. I think I'll get the thin GHD ones... the wider plated ones look a bit unwieldy.

ReputationRep:
    GHD's are amazing but they are expensive simply because of the name! I paid £30 for my Ceramic hair straighters from my local Sally's store & they are just as good as GHD's! All you need to look at is the temperature, if it doesnt say on the box how hot they get then their no good. I recommend you get some where u can adjust the heat, with a max temperature of 200 it may sound alot but much lower & you don't get results and if you use protection & dont do it every day then your hair won't suffer!

Hugs Kisses & Luv
    Sweetie x

ReputationRep:
    GHD's definately. you can get some easily for £100, try HQHAIR.COM, thats where i got mine and if you register with www.thebeautybible.com you get 10% off so mine only cost like £80. Bargain if u ask me cos they are the best by far.

ReputationRep:
    Ghds!!!

ReputationRep:
    ghds deffo.

www.kelkoo.co.uk for price comparisons

ReputationRep:
    GHD's. i think you can by ones with thicker plates if you're worried about having so much ahir to straighten. they only cost about £10 more i think, but the downside is they're clunkier, and not as easy to use.

ReputationRep:
    GHD's are amazing but I have some Morphy Richard ones which were about £70 and they are just as good. There are loads of heat protective things about - I use the tresemme heat protective spray and find it good if thats any help

ReputationRep:
    GHDs are fantastic...I don't think you can get anything quite as good as them.

ReputationRep:
    I have GHDs and they ARE amazing, but they are so expensive because of the name, and there are loads of copycat versions which are the same, if not better, available atm for cheaper, so you myt wanna look around. Also, many GHDs break after about a year, beacause there was soo much demand for them a while back, they were made with a slight wiring fault - but it depends what batch they sell you. But if they do break within a year, they will send you new ones for free!!!
    Go onto ebay and search - theres a line out at the mo beggining with C i think.. well anyway, iv tried them out and theyre exactly the same as GHDs, but cheaper! You might want to try and get some with a heat dial too, so you can straighten on a low heat if you wanna to avoid damagin ur hair! phew!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=B_e_x]I have GHDs and they ARE amazing, but they are so expensive because of the name, and there are loads of copycat versions which are the same, if not better, available atm for cheaper, so you myt wanna look around.

GHD's are the best there is, that is why they are expensive. I got mine when they first came out and they didn't really have this huge hype around them and they cost the same as they do now. Mine have lasted me over 3yrs and they are incredible!! not only can u straighten ur hair but u can make it curly and wavey to. U NEED THESE IN UR LIFE. don't worry bout plate being too thin, they will be fine although they do have ones with thicker plates. whatever you do, do not get wet2straight, these will fry ur hair - bad news - wouldn't touch with a barge pole. the best hair protector to get as well is the GHD's own one - bit pricey though

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be different and plug the Remington Wet2Straight ones. I use them and they're fantastic. Not much cheaper than GHDs though.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm guessing the Chi isn't popular over there, here (USA) its the Queen of Hair Straighteners.

ReputationRep:
    GHD's all the way, i have thick Frizzy long hair and they are perfect, goes nice and straight every time !!!! if u want to do it faster get the GHD wide plates , they are a bit more expensive £120 i think but def. worth it if u want straight hair!!

ReputationRep:
    I have frizzy, wavy, long hair naturally and I've got Remington ones which were only £35. They aren't the standard ones, they've got double protection because the plates are ceramic but coated in teflon too.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.