Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On, tv, in school curiculum, is it overstressed, or is it neccessary to study/hear about it all the time?

Edit: Sorry I should have been clearer meant about the 'darker' sides of the regime, many german abassords, even the chanellor, shroedor, have commented on how britain foucessed on this period rather than other parts of german history.

ReputationRep:
    We are fed only one side of the story. I personally like to see the whole picture.

One way to start is to watch the german film called "the downfall"... we get a very different picture of Hitler and the german people.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure no one is taught about Nazi Germany, I'm sure everyone is taught about the Allied's winning WWII however.

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    I'm pretty sure no one is taught about Nazi Germany, I'm sure everyone is taught about the Allied's winning WWII however.

Andrew
    You're pretty sure about that, eh? :rolleyes: There are numerous options on GCSE, AS-level and A-level history papers that focus on Nazi Germany rather than the war and the rise to power of Hitler.

Also have you failed to notice the string of Nazi documentaries that Channel 4 and Channel 5 have shown over recent years - I believe the current one focuses on the Hitler Youth Movement - that is hardly teaching about how the Allied's won WWII - but we did by the way.

If you need me I'll be having a Bud and watching a Hitler documentary.

ReputationRep:
    It is a heavily covered area, but hell, it is a vital part of modern history. It's well worthy of the attention it gets and it is highly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I've never learned what the war was *for*, seemed like a total wate of lives. No *causes* but communism and Nazism, why didn't we let them fight it out?

ReputationRep:
    ArthurOliver - A level History covers the causes of war and that sort of stuff in a lot more detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    You're pretty sure about that, eh? :rolleyes: There are numerous options on GCSE, AS-level and A-level history papers that focus on Nazi Germany rather than the war and the rise to power of Hitler.

Also have you failed to notice the string of Nazi documentaries that Channel 4 and Channel 5 have shown over recent years - I believe the current one focuses on the Hitler Youth Movement - that is hardly teaching about how the Allied's won WWII - but we did by the way.

If you need me I'll be having a Bud and watching a Hitler documentary.
    Yes I am sure, and I don't believe you. Unless you choose a History A level or Degree you're not going to learn much/anything about Nazi Germany. You will however learn that we beat those nasty Germans with a little help from our friends - you learn about the war, you don't learn about the manner in which Hitler got to power, or what Germany was like to live in during the NSDAP's years in power.

There's plenty of good documentaries on TV sure. I never said there wasn't! As red_roadkill said it's immensely interesting period of the World's history.

that is hardly teaching about how the Allied's won WWII - but we did by the way.
    What was that supposed to mean?

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    ArthurOliver - A level History covers the causes of war and that sort of stuff in a lot more detail.
    i always thought u were a guy.did u change your gender?i m very sure you used to be a guy.

ReputationRep:
    And let the Jews get massacred? No sir. What I don't get is why there weren't more attempts to assassinate Hitler, thereby avoiding the need for war at all. There was one famous attempt - an inside job from Germans who didn't like him - but it failed and the conspirators were hanged.

There is a fine line between teaching history in order to avoid repeating its darkest chapters, eg Nazi Germany, and ramming it down people's throats. We shouldn't forget, but neither should we become obsessed. It's a difficult enough balance on a personal level - moving on while bearing the past in mind - but for whole countries it can be close to impossible. My opinion is that, at least in Britain, history lessons have got the balance right, by and large, but have got the subject matter somewhat wrong in some cases. Contradicting what andyukguy says: When I did GCSE History I was not taught about anything beyond 1939. This means I do not officially know about the Final Solution, nor who won the War. NO spoilers, please, I'd like to find out for myself.
    Actually, that's not strictly true. When I started the Cold War section of the syllabus it became obvious. But our history lessons covered the periods from 1913-14, 1918-39, 1945-1963. Presumably the school felt it wasn't so necessary to learn about the course of the two wars, rather their causes and aftermaths. It's better that way round, I think, but a little on the actions would have been interesting too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    He! I didn't do 'A Level' history, I've read A.J.P. Taylor's 'Origins of the Second World War', but I'm none the wiser. Seems like a ridiculous slide in to needless conflict. Even Hitler didn't seem to want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    i always thought u were a guy.did u change your gender?i m very sure you used to be a guy.
    I am a guy! I just thought I would express my feminine side as a fabulous homo and display myself as female :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    He! I didn't do 'A Level' history, I've read A.J.P. Taylor's 'Origins of the Second World War', but I'm none the wiser. Seems like a ridiculous slide in to needless conflict. Even Hitler didn't seem to want it.
    AJP Taylor would say that. He is widely seen as controversial for doing so. A good example of the dangers of relying on just one source of information!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even do GCSE history(I'm interested in ancient history more than 20th Century), but I learnt about Hitlers rise to power etc, we even had a Holocaust survivor visit our school.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am sure, and I don't believe you. Unless you choose a History A level or Degree you're not going to learn much/anything about Nazi Germany. You will however learn that we beat those nasty Germans with a little help from our friends - you learn about the war, you don't learn about the manner in which Hitler got to power, or what Germany was like to live in during the NSDAP's years in power.
    You don't believe me?

Okay, I have my Edexcel GCSE History paper in front of me from Summer 2004 - Option B4 Nazi Germany, c. 1930-39. Go look it up on their website if you want - I didn't take that module but it is an option. It is perfectly possible to study Nazi Germany at GCSE, AS-level, A-level and degree level in History. If you choose not to do History then obviously you aren't going to learn about it in school as it is a topic in History. :rolleyes: Even if you don't take history there are numerous documentaries about the Nazis, about Hitler's rise to power along with numerous books (The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich springs to mind) that cover the topic. It is perfectly possible to study Nazi germany or to learn about it independently

What was that supposed to mean?
    Just thought I'd remind you that fascism lost . World War II is an incredibly important event in History too that needs to be covered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Even Hitler didn't seem to want it.
    That's crazy!

Dude, I recommend Christopher Browning's The Origins of the Final Solution.

If you study the period well it is quite clear that Hitler wanted a war. Immediate things springing to mind that suggest Hitler wanted WW2:

1. Hitler's extreme ambition to be a kind of overlord over a new race and philosophical theories propagandised about German/Aryan superiority.

2. Keeping the economy quite separate from the rest of the World market. For hundreds of years the German economy had been reliant on a wider world market for success. Obviously Germany had been severely penalised by the allies for WW1. The allies didn't like Hitler's ideas about keeping Germany quite segregated from the rest of the world. So essentially Hitler aggrevated the outbreak of war.

Theres loaaaads of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it heard about a lot because:
    A) so many artifacts and stories and video evidence has been collecting over time to give a better idea of what happened during tha time of the persecution compared to more recent events.
    B) People feel more comfortable talking about it because it happened so long ago and its more acceptable to be fascinated by the events.
    C) Survivors are now dying off so its best to get video interviews done now rather than 5 or 10 years down the line.
    D) People are astounded that such systematic cruelty went on for so long and peopl are fascinated by the nasty details.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of Nazi history taught in schools, from GCSE to A levels my school/college did it each year, sometimes in more than one module. Whilst it is an important period and shapes many of our views today, and of course we must make sure it doesn't happen again, there are many other important historical periods which we have just as much to learn from. For example, we should learn more about the struggle against colonial powers across the world and more about figures such as Gandhi. I have never been taught any Asian, South American or African history which is just as important as British/European and North American.

ReputationRep:
    one of my main annoyances with history, we only learned about Europe/america.

PS> I'm going to Sussex too!

ReputationRep:
    Really, what you studying? Im doing Politics and International Relations.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.