Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got my as results - Physics A, Maths B, Chemistry A and Biology C. I want to retake AS maths completely, one unit from chemistry and and unit from biology to get Phy A, Chem A, Maths A, Bio B. I will then drop bio to keep the other 3. what will medical schools think of that, esspecially imperial, manchester, newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    nothing, your grades are good, you got an A in chemistry which is the important one. Medical schools ask for AAB some with A in chem...you meet these requirments, so...go for it. I had A in maths, B in chem and B in biology for my As levels and got an offer, managed to pull it up at A level to AAB gud luck

ReputationRep:
    ohh snap me too!

ReputationRep:
    I thought to get into medical school now, you had to do biology. Im pretty sure to get an interview you will need it.

ReputationRep:
    No - some places don't ask for it at all, while others only want it to AS.

Having said that, by not doing biology to A2, you're making a lot of work for yourself when you get to medical school....

ReputationRep:
    There should be no way you need to retake the whole of AS maths to push it upto an A. What was your UMS mark?

ReputationRep:
    232, but i wasn't happy with my marks in any of the modules

ReputationRep:
    Becareful though - you don't want to land yourself with too much work and compromise your A2 grades. You need to play this strategically and do a little more than the bear minimum you need to do to pull your grade up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaz)
    232, but i wasn't happy with my marks in any of the modules
    8 marks off an A at AS, that's not bad at all.

As fluffy said you need to think carefull about resits. I got 220 I think it was at AS so resat S1 (to go along with A2 modules - P4 and S4) in January and pushed it up by about 15 marks, from a low C to a decent B if I remember correctly. Because I didn't do any other resists it allowed me to concentrate on the A2 modules aswell in which I got a good 'A' in P4 and 119/120 at S4. So with 1 module to go this July I had something like 430 ums marks and needed only about 50% in P5 to get an 'A' overall which I was almost guaranteed, which allowed me to concentrate more on my other subjects.

The thing with resists is that you'll have to do the majority of the work on your own outside of college to go on top of the new stuff you're learning. They're also pretty expensive. If you had a particularly poor module and think you can improve it by 10-20 marks, retake that and leave the others alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaz)
    I got my as results - Physics A, Maths B, Chemistry A and Biology C. I want to retake AS maths completely, one unit from chemistry and and unit from biology to get Phy A, Chem A, Maths A, Bio B. I will then drop bio to keep the other 3. what will medical schools think of that, esspecially imperial, manchester, newcastle?

thats really good-well done for getting an A in chem!! though unless ur really certain u need to, i wouldnt necessarily bother resitting a chem module-not if u want to do all your maths and some bio too.
    Medical school will be cool with this, u dont need biology to A level, most just specify that u need AAB, 2 science subjects (so thats ur chem and phys) plus a 3rd science (which maths may count as in sum) or another subject, with at least 70% theory(which maths def is!!) so ur all good!! manchester will be cool with that, and they also dont mind wot order ur grades r in, just as long as u get AAB eventually!! i did bio chem and geog for a level, got A (bio) A (geog) B (chem) and am off in a month to start medicine there!!
    dont worry about it, so long as uv got some decent work experience, and show that u r someone who just enjoys working with people, and are really enthusiastic about medicine, you will be totally fineeee xxxxx good luck! xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2005

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.