Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my view they do, however I very much doubt they will in the traditional sense.

Look at the world today, outsourcing is the new way to go. More and more responsibility is being put in the hands of eastern countries. "Native" populations are having to compete more and more and the population ethnic structure is changing.

I call this covert colonisation, subtle shifts in power and influence is occuring. The only difference is that the country in question remains fairly stable with minor blips in political feeling and action.

Realisticaly where will the west be in 50 years time?... working together with the rest of the world or competing and struggling... In my opinion it is the latter.

Food for thought.

ReputationRep:
    Do correct the error in my title.

ReputationRep:
    If they can do it, then they showed they had the 'right'. The problem for the West is that it doesn't think it has the right to defend it's land or it's people.

I think that's changing because of racial and religious demographics within the West but it has to work incredibly fast, or the West and it's people are finished inside a century.

The Chinese won't be as indulgent of the Africans as we were...

ReputationRep:
    Nobody has "the right" to colonise anybody.

The shifts in power are generally minor, the West collectively could destroy any LEDC in the world if it so chose either economically or militarily. If Western nations decide to stop trading with these countries they will buckle and fall - developing nations rely upon the West as a consumer and for aid.

Western nations provide vast quantities in aid to LEDC's and the G8 has agreed a new aid deal for impoverished nations in Africa.

Less Economically Developed Countries rely on the West currently and will continue to do so over the next few years. Many years down the line they will probably catch up - but that probably won't be for a while.

IF LEDC's do catch up in terms of economic power and are competing with the Western nations - that isn't really colonization anyway. Nations do build colonies, but no nation has a right to them.

ReputationRep:
    Does the west produce enough food to feed itself?... Does it produce enough oil?... Are there enough workers to so all possible jobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    The Chinese won't be as indulgent of the Africans as we were...
    I hate to have to berate you twice in one day, but this must be said- indulgent?

And to the original poster, no, it's neither right, nor plausible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    Does the west produce enough food to feed itself?... Does it produce enough oil?... Are there enough workers to so all possible jobs?
    On the food issue I am not sure but it is entirely plausible - lots of food is produced in Europe and a lot in the USA as well. On the issue of oil, currently? No it doesn't, however, there are some two billion barrels of oil underneath the sands in Alberta compared with six hundred million in Saudi Arabia. With the oil sands program developing it is entirely possible that the West will not need Middle Eastern oil in fifty years anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If it helps my investments, I wouldn't mind colonisation. All depends on the oppurtunity cost and revenues in my humble opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    If Western nations decide to stop trading with these countries they will buckle and fall - developing nations rely upon the West as a consumer and for aid.
    Not so because the 'developing' nations (many are well on their way), are today increasingly engaged in tertiary industries that the West used to be engaged in. Instead, the West has pursued (rightly) a move towards so called 'quarternary' industries (ones which provide information and advise such i.e. research). This means they are increasingly dependent on developing countries for their consumer goods, and so stopping trading with them would deprive their consumers of much needed everyday goods. Research and financial services and not tangible and they cannot live off them alone. The power is inevitably in the hands of those with the goods, not necessarily with the rich.
    I agree that the developing countries need the raw materials from the west but the west itself has declining tertiary industries and would struggle as a result to cope with all their consumers' demands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naxalite)
    We produce more than enough food and are left with "mountains" of it in storehouses, thanks to the CAP.

We have more than enough workers but unfortunatley native popuulations tend not to bother to work in the low paid jobs because they are btter off being unemployed, financially that is.

Oil is the big one and with the diminishing supplies of oil in 50 years no-one will care about the middle east and it will hold no real political significance, could be even sooner if a economically viable alternative to oil is found.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.