Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Just because YOU had a bad experience at a London college doesn't mean that other people won't enjoy studying in London. It's a vibrant and dynamic city, rich in cultural diversity, and anyone willing to make the effort CAN have a smashing time! Just because YOU decided to bypass the social element doesn't mean that everyone else will. In addition, London life prepares you much better for the "real world" than the narrow Oxbridge environment.

Tek, if you want to make it in third level education you are going to have to be able to read more critically than demonstrated by your comments above.

I never said I went to a London college. But I did attend college right in the centre of a Capital City. But that doesn't mean you have the means or opportunities to avail of what is on offer in the world beyond your college. But I did spend the best part of a term sitting on doorsteps trying to rent a habitable grotty bedsit.

My point is: the Oxbridge environment doesn't have to be "narrow". You can have as broad and enriching experience as you want.

Best wishes to all, wherever they decide to pursue their third level education.

ReputationRep:
    My brother studies in London (Imperial) and he has a fantastic time ! I don't think he was that bothered with being rejected from Cambridge as when he visited he found the atmosphere a bit too claustrophobic for his liking. Oxbridge isn't necessarily the best environment for everyone - as he has lived in London for all of his life he didn't want to get away from the hussle and bussle of it all. Which is fair enough - each student has individual needs and looks for different aspects within a university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by earthmother)
    I never said I went to a London college. But I did attend college right in the centre of a Capital City. But that doesn't mean you have the means or opportunities to avail of what is on offer in the world beyond your college. But I did spend the best part of a term sitting on doorsteps trying to rent a habitable grotty bedsit.

My point is: the Oxbridge environment doesn't have to be "narrow". You can have as broad and enriching experience as you want.
    Firstly, it's actually called "higher education".

Secondly, the "broad and enriching experience" you so ideologically speak of can be had MUCH more easily in cities, especially at the LSE, where a great proportion of students are foreign. Obviously a city has much more in the way of cultural experiences than two small towns in South England. :rolleyes:

You obviously didn't make the most of your experience if you had to spend a term trying to find a "grotty bedsit", did you? And so I reiterate my point that one CAN have an enriching experience in a city, much MORE so than in Oxbridge, if only one would put in the effort.

(Original post by Tek)
    Firstly, it's actually called "higher education".

Secondly, the "broad and enriching experience" you so ideologically speak of can be had MUCH more easily in cities, especially at the LSE, where a great proportion of students are foreign. Obviously a city has much more in the way of cultural experiences than two small towns in South England. :rolleyes:

You obviously didn't make the most of your experience if you had to spend a term trying to find a "grotty bedsit", did you? And so I reiterate my point that one CAN have an enriching experience in a city, much MORE so than in Oxbridge, if only one would put in the effort.
    Mate you aren't actually getting the point of what she's saying and arguing when there aren't any points to make, she's agreed with you that social life is great within a large city

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    Mate you aren't actually getting the point of what she's saying and arguing when there aren't any points to make, she's agreed with you that social life is great within a large city
    *Sigh* read her post:
    It's debatable whether the average LSE undergraduate would have access to the wonderful social life of London.

I think the overall undergraduate experience would be better in an Oxbridge college than in LSE. I know there is a high percentage of postgraduates in LSE and large undergraduate classes. There is also the accommodation problem. It's not just a matter of cost: there can be long distances to be travelled.

I'm speaking as a parent of one current Oxford student who contemplated LSE and another who is thinking of Cambridge/Imperial next year. There is no argument about the intellectual rigour of the London colleges. But the undergraduate experience does and should do go much further.

ReputationRep:
    Tek, if you want to make it in third level education you are going to have to be able to read more critically than demonstrated by your comments above.

Best wishes to all, wherever they decide to pursue their third level education.
    Earthmother, dont take what he is saying seriously. As much as I respect his persuasive writing style, he is still only a prepubescent 16 year old with no experience of 'the real world'. Dont take what he writes as offensive or threatening.

Tek, if you give me bad rep Ill know its you

(Original post by Tek)
    *Sigh* read her post:
    yes...

"It's debatable whether the average LSE undergraduate would have access to the wonderful social life of London. "

which is completly true, whilst my ucl and kings friends seem to be loving it the two i know at lse are enjoying the work but only go out to the same places and come home every weekend

lse's main flaw for me, as you've said the cultural diversity, means that the foreign students are usually older (and in my experience) far more interested in working that partying

read her *other* posts as well, or just give up jeez

ReputationRep:
    Quality Of teaching (Economics): Cambridge
    1.Tutorial System at Cambridge
    2.LSE's Lecturers r concentrating more on research and publishing their books and articles and etc....than teaching!
    3. LSE's Studenttaff Ratio is around 12:1 whereas cambridge's Student:staff ratio is 8:1

Quality of Research (Economics)
    LSE is much better because they r specialized in Economics and they have internation reputation for their research in Economics.

Therefore:
    If u want to study as an undergraduate go to Cambridge
    If u want to do Research (postgraduate degree) go to LSE

Socially:
    Whatever turns u on....
    Depends to u if u wanna study in a busy city such as london or in a more quiet environment like Cambridge...people aren;t the same u know ...u can't really say Oh Cambrdige/London is better to live in...u might think cambridge is v.nice but someone else might find it v.boreing and the same goes to London.

Reputation wise...Cambridge's International reputation is way better than LSE, mainly because its 800 yrs old and Its a MultiFaculty...whereas LSE is just concentrating in Social Science.

ReputationRep:
    LSE has a magnificent rep, and as already mentioned- it wil soon become the WORLD's leading social sciences uni- it is also renowned for being modern and innovative. Cambridge also has a good rep.

All in all, whether you go to Cambridge of LSE, you better be able to formulate your own opinions, because it would be a waste for anyone to go to a top university and conform to their convention.

In conclusion, we should all be like Shakespeare's Cleo:

"Age cannot whither her, nor custom taint her infinite variety"

(Original post by zero101)
    I reckon LSE is just as good, if not better for economics than oxbridge

Feel free to argue - with reasoning

but LSE beats oxford on research ne way according to sunday times university guide.
    heya - i was actually wondering bout the same thing recently - for me - oxbridge is better in a coupla ways
    1) being an international student (am not a 100% sure bout costs for Uk/EU citizens for tuition and accomodation) both accomodation (quite obviously) and tuition are quite a bit cheaper
    2) i wanted to do PPE and lse didn;t actually have that and so i was forced to apply for econs and philosophy
    3) ive heard that it's a lot harder to make friends in london unis because everyone kinda gets out of class and goes their own separate ways, whereas oxbridge is more like a community and you're pretty much likely to bump into students wherever you go - there's more contact and opportunity to like meet students

when it comes to teaching though - i don't think it makes that much of a difference because like lecturers in oxbridge often have degrees from lse and vice versa

however - i have heard of people turning down offers from oxbridge to go to lse and have often wondered why

i think that i would have to say that at lse is probably better for straight economics and politics and sociology - things like that

these are just my opinions though and what ive heard - i would appreciate some advice myself if anyone has any on this matter!!

ReputationRep:
    Either way, you come out with a great degree recognised by employers. A lot of LSE students go on for masters, and the same with Oxbridge.

It all depends what kind of environment you want at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have heard LSE is considered just as highly amonst employers as Oxford, not only this but by going to a London University you will have a great social life. So in my opinion LSe is the perfect blend between a very respectable academic university and a great student university life.

(Original post by zero101)
    I reckon LSE is just as good, if not better for economics than oxbridge

Feel free to argue - with reasoning

but LSE beats oxford on research ne way according to sunday times university guide.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge night life is that of a very small town... it is incredibly poor tbh - there are about 4 night clubs in the city, 5th Avenue, The Junction etc and all are very very poor.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 6, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.