Incredibly rapid weight gain-the pill? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello all. I started using the pill a year and a bit ago, and since then I have gained 2 stones. I am now 26 on the bmi and not very happy. However, the strange part is that as of december, I was only half a stone heavier. Then when I weighed myself 2 weeks ago I was another half a stone heavier. Now, 2 weeks since my last weighing, I have gained an entire stone. Any ideas what this could be? Anyone else here had weight gain from the pill? How did you cope? I love being on the pill because now I have my period on the same day of the same week of my cycle and sex is better without condoms, but all this extra weight is really getting me down and it's so difficult to shift: would it be worth going off the pill? Also, I've been diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism. It wasn't so bad that they had to give me anything for it but could it be possible that it's gotten worse and the weight gain is a mix of the pill and hypothyroidism?

Note: I calorie-count when I can be bothered and tend to eat between 1500 and 2000 calories, so I know I'm not overeating or anything
parasitic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, the pill is well known for contributing to weight gain in a lot of women.
I've been on Dianette for almost 3 years but my weight hasn't increased, my bmi is low and my GP was surprised my weight has stayed exactly the same. So I guess different people have different results, but you shouldn't worry, just maybe do more excerises and reduce your calorie intake until you reach a desired weight. You could also stop taking the pill if it bothers you that much, but speak to your doctor first.
Sail to the moon
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Speak to your doctor - they can put you on a different one. It might make a difference!
Fail-To-Impress
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It could be because of both the underactive thyroid and the pill... but most likely the underactive thyroid.

I have an underactive thyroid myself and I'm on the pill, and while I'm not overweight, I do sometimes find it difficult to keep my weight as it is, and it's really easy to put on weight; and I'm on thyroxine. Also, what kind of pill are you on? Maybe speak to your doctor about that and ask to try another pill that might not affect weight so much.

How long ago were you diagnosed with the thyroid problem? If it was a good while ago it might be worth going back to the doctor to have another test to see what stage you are at now, and the doctor might put you on thyroxine. Because, yes, as you say it could have gotten worse and the sooner you get treatment for it the quicker you can go about losing weight.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fail-To-Impress)
It could be because of both the underactive thyroid and the pill... but most likely the underactive thyroid.

I have an underactive thyroid myself and I'm on the pill, and while I'm not overweight, I do sometimes find it difficult to keep my weight as it is, and it's really easy to put on weight; and I'm on thyroxine. Also, what kind of pill are you on? Maybe speak to your doctor about that and ask to try another pill that might not affect weight so much.

How long ago were you diagnosed with the thyroid problem? If it was a good while ago it might be worth going back to the doctor to have another test to see what stage you are at now, and the doctor might put you on thyroxine. Because, yes, as you say it could have gotten worse and the sooner you get treatment for it the quicker you can go about losing weight.
It was a year and a half ago-ish, so it's been quite a while. I guess this means another blood test, eugh. I'm on microgynon;I might ask when I go to the doctors on thursday if I can try out a new pill. I've never been really really slim, my bmi used to be 21 and I have a big bust, (which kind of makes me look bigger than I am) I just want to be back how I was....it doesn't feel right!

Thanks for the responses everyone

Also, has anyone else had the experience of swapping your pill? Anyone know how long it takes for the old one to get out of your system and the new one to kick in?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by parasitic)
Yes, the pill is well known for contributing to weight gain in a lot of women.
I've been on Dianette for almost 3 years but my weight hasn't increased, my bmi is low and my GP was surprised my weight has stayed exactly the same. So I guess different people have different results, but you shouldn't worry, just maybe do more excerises and reduce your calorie intake until you reach a desired weight. You could also stop taking the pill if it bothers you that much, but speak to your doctor first.
I think I might try a new pill. What kind of pill is dianette? Do you think changing from a combined pill would help? Sorry, so many questions . Also, I really don't want to do anymore exercise...it's not like I do a lot, I just use the turbo trainer (essentially it just lifts your bike off the floor so you can cycle whilst remaining stationary...not very hi-tec) a few times a week. But the amount I do really wears me out. I don't eat crazy amounts and what I do eat is healthy (I don't eat any refined sugar other than in my porridge, I don't eat cheese, I don't eat junk food, I don't like things to be fried, I'm vegetarian...I'm quite fussy really!) So I don't think reducing the amount of food I eat is an option..it's difficult enough to get adequate protein etc. as it is! Yeah I'll go to the doctors and see what they think thanks.
ac132
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Change pills, tell your GP about the issues you are having. Then, if still no help - do some exercise.
sbeard1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Increased appetite is a side effect of some pills, but generally speaking if you dont have an issue with weight gain, and are careful with what you eat you shouldnt put a lot on. I've been on two different pills and my weight has gone down a little if anything. I would go and see your doctor, it sounds likely that this rapid weight gain could be linked to your thyroid.

My sister has a severly underactive thyroid and it made her gain a lot of weight. She is now on the correct medication and with a healthy diet is starting to lose it slowly.
campy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sbeard1)
Increased appetite is a side effect of some pills, but generally speaking if you dont have an issue with weight gain, and are careful with what you eat you shouldnt put a lot on. I've been on two different pills and my weight has gone down a little if anything. I would go and see your doctor, it sounds likely that this rapid weight gain could be linked to your thyroid.

My sister has a severly underactive thyroid and it made her gain a lot of weight. She is now on the correct medication and with a healthy diet is starting to lose it slowly.
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I never used to have to watch what I was eating but now I have to be careful because if given the choice, I would make and eat a whole victoria sponge Yeah, will need to get thyroid checked again. Maybe this time I'll get medication. Fingers crossed!
sbeard1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by campy)
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I never used to have to watch what I was eating but now I have to be careful because if given the choice, I would make and eat a whole victoria sponge Yeah, will need to get thyroid checked again. Maybe this time I'll get medication. Fingers crossed!
I really think you should, the weight gain sounds really rapid, and I know that my sisters was also. Its definately worth a trip to the doctors regardless to put your mind at rest as to what is causing it.
moomin_love
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It was a year and a half ago-ish, so it's been quite a while. I guess this means another blood test, eugh. I'm on microgynon;I might ask when I go to the doctors on thursday if I can try out a new pill. I've never been really really slim, my bmi used to be 21 and I have a big bust, (which kind of makes me look bigger than I am) I just want to be back how I was....it doesn't feel right!

Also, has anyone else had the experience of swapping your pill? Anyone know how long it takes for the old one to get out of your system and the new one to kick in?
I'm on microgynon and I haven't had any side effects of putting on weight. Well, I put on 2 stone, but I think that's because I got a boyfriend who just ate 24 hours a day pretty much and we just ate all the time while watching tv lol, but I've found it pretty easy to lose weight since splitting up with him and I'm still on the same pill. I want one of those pills that make your tits bigger though I'm a 34DD, but would love to go a bit bigger haha
Fail-To-Impress
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

If it was 18 months ago I would definitely go back to the doctor, I'd say that your underactive thyroid is more of an issue than the pill tbh. For all you know your thyroid might have been mildly underactive for a long time and it's just gradually gotten worse. Do you notice that you feel tired a lot? That's what I felt before I got the medication, that and I found it quite difficult to concentrate fully on what I was doing; I was at school at the time so it didn't really help.

I've recently just swapped my pill from microgynon to cileste, not because of side effects, because of something else. I was really worried that cileste would give me terrible side effects because I was so used to the other one (I had no side effects at all with microgynon) but so far it's been okay. I seem to be quite lucky with the pill.

First, I would say go to the doctor about your thyroid, DON'T rush into changing your pill until you know the results of that. Honestly, there's not point changing your pill if that might not even be the cause of your problems, and it's not worth the hassle if a new pill isn't right for you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by moomin_love)
I'm on microgynon and I haven't had any side effects of putting on weight. Well, I put on 2 stone, but I think that's because I got a boyfriend who just ate 24 hours a day pretty much and we just ate all the time while watching tv lol, but I've found it pretty easy to lose weight since splitting up with him and I'm still on the same pill. I want one of those pills that make your tits bigger though I'm a 34DD, but would love to go a bit bigger haha
You can have some of mine if you want! I would like there to be a breast reducing pill Well that's the thing, I kind of thought the first half a stone I gained was because of my change in lifestyle when I started dating my current boyfriend. I've gone back to my old lifestyle now (though am still with him) so I don't think the last stone and a half were related. Having a boyfriend totally ruins your figure
yelloworangered
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think I might try a new pill. What kind of pill is dianette?
As Dianette increases the risk of blood clots it's generally only given to people with really bad skin or PCOS, and even then you shouldn't stay on it for tooo long, so by the sounds of it it's not really an option for you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fail-To-Impress)
If it was 18 months ago I would definitely go back to the doctor, I'd say that your underactive thyroid is more of an issue than the pill tbh. For all you know your thyroid might have been mildly underactive for a long time and it's just gradually gotten worse. Do you notice that you feel tired a lot? That's what I felt before I got the medication, that and I found it quite difficult to concentrate fully on what I was doing; I was at school at the time so it didn't really help.

I've recently just swapped my pill from microgynon to cileste, not because of side effects, because of something else. I was really worried that cileste would give me terrible side effects because I was so used to the other one (I had no side effects at all with microgynon) but so far it's been okay. I seem to be quite lucky with the pill.

First, I would say go to the doctor about your thyroid, DON'T rush into changing your pill until you know the results of that. Honestly, there's not point changing your pill if that might not even be the cause of your problems, and it's not worth the hassle if a new pill isn't right for you.
Ok, thanks for the advice! I do get tired a lot but it doesn't help that I quite frequently get insomnia and often can't sleep due to migraines. I dunno, I'm just a bit of a wreck. So glad it's the holiday tbh

EDIT: Meh, forgot to put anon. Now I've talked about this I feel a bit less shy, can't be bothered to change it back

EDIT no. 2: on second thoughts, it now doesn't say that I'm the thread starter and I can't be bothered to change all the rest back to normal so I'll just change this one to anon. If anyone wanted to PM me or w/e I'm Campy
Anonymous #1
(Original post by alexs211)
As Dianette increases the risk of blood clots it's generally only given to people with really bad skin or PCOS, and even then you shouldn't stay on it for tooo long, so by the sounds of it it's not really an option for you.
Noted, thanks
moomin_love
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can have some of mine if you want! I would like there to be a breast reducing pill Well that's the thing, I kind of thought the first half a stone I gained was because of my change in lifestyle when I started dating my current boyfriend. I've gone back to my old lifestyle now (though am still with him) so I don't think the last stone and a half were related. Having a boyfriend totally ruins your figure
Haha yeah boyfriends suck. Love is soooo over-rated :p: haha. Well I hope you get everything sorted out soon! If not, Wii Fit is your answer
parasitic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think I might try a new pill. What kind of pill is dianette? Do you think changing from a combined pill would help? Sorry, so many questions . Also, I really don't want to do anymore exercise...it's not like I do a lot, I just use the turbo trainer (essentially it just lifts your bike off the floor so you can cycle whilst remaining stationary...not very hi-tec) a few times a week. But the amount I do really wears me out. I don't eat crazy amounts and what I do eat is healthy (I don't eat any refined sugar other than in my porridge, I don't eat cheese, I don't eat junk food, I don't like things to be fried, I'm vegetarian...I'm quite fussy really!) So I don't think reducing the amount of food I eat is an option..it's difficult enough to get adequate protein etc. as it is! Yeah I'll go to the doctors and see what they think thanks.
Well Dianette is better for acne unlike some other contraceptive pills which only help a little bit. I'm not sure which pill has less side effects of weight gain, so best to speak to your GP about it and maybe he/she will give you another pill that your body will agree with better
good luck.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by parasitic)
Well Dianette is better for acne unlike some other contraceptive pills which only help a little bit. I'm not sure which pill has less side effects of weight gain, so best to speak to your GP about it and maybe he/she will give you another pill that your body will agree with better
good luck.
Thanks
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
i thought the pill causing weight gain was a myth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (101)
29.11%
1 (56)
16.14%
2 (48)
13.83%
3 (56)
16.14%
4 (26)
7.49%
5 (23)
6.63%
6 (9)
2.59%
7+ (28)
8.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise