Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I some times shop at Kwik Save :mad:
    So do I - and Lidls...but I don't consciously take bags with me...and I wouldn't be embarrassed about using a Kwiky bag (Kwik save funded my first skateboard - they opened a new store with the pound trolleys and in the confusion (this was back in 93/94) I managed to make almost £10 by offering to take peoples trolleys back for them )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    thats horrible.It sickens me when theres people like that, when theres people on the opposite side of the scale who have money they'll never be able to spned in their lifetime. Whats the point if having so much you cant spend it?
    They normanlly give some to charity. i.e. they will prolly give as much to charity as we earn in a lifetime. So it is not all bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Poor is shopping in Lidl or Kwik Save and bringing your own plastic bags (usually tesco/sainsburys ones because of a misplaced sense of pride).
    I sometimes shop at Lidl. What's wrong with getting something which is near enough the same quality but at a cheaper price? I always buy them packs of 6 bottled mineral water and have them by my desk. I usually end up drinking a bottle a day. Much better than having to walk all the way to the kitchen, boil some water, wait an hour for it to cool down and then pouring it into a cup (which I think is a waste of time!). Well, I am lazy after all. And they do have some nice canned Macaroni Cheese.....

ReputationRep:
    they opened a new store with the pound trolleys and in the confusion (this was back in 93/94) I managed to make almost £10 by offering to take peoples trolleys back for them )
    Isn't that called stealing?

ReputationRep:
    This is how I see it:

Millionaires: People like David Beckham

Rich = Huge House, £100,000 a year, top of the range car, top job

Well off = Nice house, £50,000 a year, nice car, nice job

Quite poor = Small House, £30,000 a year, old car, a job that pays

Poor = Council House, £20,000 a year, a horrible job or dole money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)

O_o

£20,00 a year! Thats like above the national average isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    This is how I see it:

Millionaires: People like David Beckham

Rich = Huge House, £100,000 a year, top of the range car, top job

Well off = Nice house, £50,000 a year, nice car, nice job

Thats a bit general, my parents live in a £200k house and earn £20k a year. They are not rich but they can afford to have both their children at univesity (though they can't give us any money)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    Isn't that called stealing?
    I prefered to think of it as providing a service for a reasonable fee. After all these people had physically placed a pound coin into the trolley so they must have known it was there. And it was raining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    O_o

£20,00 a year! Thats like above the national average isn't it?
    Yeah I think the average salary is around £23k but that is mean average. The most common (is that modal) average is about £16k.

ReputationRep:
    I prefered to think of it as providing a service for a reasonable fee. After all these people had physically placed a pound coin into the trolley so they must have known it was there. And it was raining
    Ahh, you consider it a "tip" then...

You should consider helping them with carrying their bags, you might get a few bags full of stuff free.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think the average salary is around £23k but that is mean average. The most common (is that modal) average is about £16k.
    So thinking of about that, poor can be defined as not enough to live on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    i read a thread on here a couple of days agree asking people what they thought "Rich meant", well i wanted to know hwat you think it means to be poor eg how much money,possesions would you consider to be poor. Im not talking about happyness being poor im talking about facts and figures. What does everyone think?
    Definition of poor:

greater than God,
    more evil than the devil,
    the poor have it,
    the rich need it,
    and if you eat it you die.

Answer would be 'Nothing.'

ReputationRep:
    My family would probably fit into that category but we are happy. Being classified as 'quite poor' is quite.......damn, what's that word? Any help? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    My family would probably fit into that category but we are happy. Being classified as 'quite poor' is quite.......damn, what's that word? Any help? Lol.
    There is no way in normal circumstances you can be poor on £30k. Most people would be will of with that.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    There is no way in normal circumstances you can be poor on £30k. Most people would be will of with that.
    Don't forget the north south divide.

£30k would just be enough to pay my mortgage (£700pm) and the bills associated with living in a house and travelling to work everyday (no inexpensive mass transport systems down here...works out at about another £700pm), if there was more than just the 2 of us to support (ie if we had a couple of kids) £30k would be running things very fine indeed

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget the north south divide.

£30k would just be enough to pay my mortgage (£700pm) and the bills associated with living in a house and travelling to work everyday (no inexpensive mass transport systems down here...works out at about another £700pm), if there was more than just the 2 of us to support (ie if we had a couple of kids) £30k would be running things very fine indeed
    the ound is like 1.5 USA dollars right? thats only 45,000 dollars....couldnt live off that in the states!

ReputationRep:
    Well my parents house is worth £200k well above the UK national average of £140k.

But I guess my parents have had the mortage for the last ten years so its half paid off.

I couldn't afford to buy my parents house unless I earned £35k a year.

ReputationRep:
    Well my parents house is worth £200k well above the UK national average of £140k.

But I guess my parents have had the mortage for the last ten years so its half paid off.

I couldn't afford to buy my parents house unless I earned £35k a year.
    200 pounds is what a house costs? or 2000 pounds? or 200,000 pounds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    200 pounds is what a house costs? or 2000 pounds? or 200,000 pounds?
    £200k = £200,000

K=kilo

kilo=100.

ReputationRep:
    £200k = £200,000

K=kilo

kilo=100.
    oh ok.....yeah our house in california was quite expensive then....in texas real estate is cheaper ours is about 250K....*shrugs*we aren't rich, but we are definatly upper middle class....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.