This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Poor is shopping in Lidl or Kwik Save and bringing your own plastic bags (usually tesco/sainsburys ones because of a misplaced sense of pride).
What's wrong with Kwik Save?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
oh ok.....yeah our house in california was quite expensive then....in texas real estate is cheaper ours is about 250K....*shrugs*we aren't rich, but we are definatly upper middle class....
How big is your house? Ours is a 3 bed terrace but its slightly bigger than average.

Houses are very expensive in the UK though.
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
How big is your house? Ours is a 3 bed terrace but its slightly bigger than average.

Houses are very expensive in the UK though.
yeah...our house is about 4500 sqaure feet...in CA it was a 4300, but it cost 200000 dollars more..... yeah, in california a normal sized 2 story house, easily 4oo,ooo. with a view of S.F like ours had 5oo,ooo, with a deck and big lot, 6oo,ooo, which is what we sold it for.....
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
This is how I see it:

Millionaires: People like David Beckham

Rich = Huge House, £100,000 a year, top of the range car, top job

Well off = Nice house, £50,000 a year, nice car, nice job

Quite poor = Small House, £30,000 a year, old car, a job that pays

Poor = Council House, £20,000 a year, a horrible job or dole money
People earning £100,000 a year living in London cannot afford as big a house as someone living in the Highlands of Scotland earning much less.

Surely the poorest people are those without any income or property, of whom there are many in the world.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
People earning £100,000 a year living in London cannot afford as big a house as someone living in the Highlands of Scotland earning much less.

Surely the poorest people are those without any income or property, of whom there are many in the world.
in chad, most people dont even make 100 us dollars a year, i go clothes shopping, and i easily spend 100 dollars on just one outfit.....kinda puts the world in perspective.....
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the ound is like 1.5 USA dollars right? thats only 45,000 dollars....couldnt live off that in the states!
c.1.77 at the mo
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh ok.....yeah our house in california was quite expensive then....in texas real estate is cheaper ours is about 250K....*shrugs*we aren't rich, but we are definatly upper middle class....
Property in America is generally a lot less than over here.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
c.1.77 at the mo
ahhh....well i will have to redo my math.for it to be COMPLETELY accurate, but i dont feel like it.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ahhh....well i will have to redo my math.for it to be COMPLETELY accurate, but i dont feel like it.
Th dollar fell a lot recently. Usually it is about 1.5
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Th dollar fell a lot recently. Usually it is about 1.5
yeah, hopefully its coming back up, all the scandals probably had something to do with it, first enron, then world com, then martha stewert....but our economy is making a comeback.....and has been improving for about 2 quarters now.....
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah, hopefully its coming back up, all the scandals probably had something to do with it, first enron, then world com, then martha stewert....but our economy is making a comeback.....and has been improving for about 2 quarters now.....
No, I mean it fell really suddenly, like a few weeks ago.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, I mean it fell really suddenly, like a few weeks ago.
hmm. strange, i will go ask my brother what that is about. maybe the fact that international planes now have to go through customs and stuff even if they are only connecting.....?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmm. strange, i will go ask my brother what that is about. maybe the fact that international planes now have to go through customs and stuff even if they are only connecting.....?
The US economy is good at the moment, growing by more than 8%

But

As US growth outpaces the global average, its consumers pull in ever more imports, and the country needs to borrow to finance the trade and current-account deficits that result.

Globally, goods and services flow into the US, while cash flows out, producing a constant pressure on the value of the greenback.

US interest rates are at a 45-year low of 1%, scarcely a great lure for the international flows of capital that govern exchange rates.

And Washington's once-ironclad commitment to a strong dollar seems to have waned, perhaps because politicians realise that America stands to gain from having a weaker currency.

The general consensus is that the pressure on the dollar will persist: although the declining dollar has hit the headlines this week, the factors behind it are long-term, structural issues that are not going to go away.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The US economy is good at the moment, growing by more than 8%

But

As US growth outpaces the global average, its consumers pull in ever more imports, and the country needs to borrow to finance the trade and current-account deficits that result.

Globally, goods and services flow into the US, while cash flows out, producing a constant pressure on the value of the greenback.

US interest rates are at a 45-year low of 1%, scarcely a great lure for the international flows of capital that govern exchange rates.

And Washington's once-ironclad commitment to a strong dollar seems to have waned, perhaps because politicians realise that America stands to gain from having a weaker currency.

The general consensus is that the pressure on the dollar will persist: although the declining dollar has hit the headlines this week, the factors behind it are long-term, structural issues that are not going to go away.
as i know nothing about this, i didnt really understand your post enough to say anything but....hmmmm. very interesting.

now i am off. c you later
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
as i know nothing about this, i didnt really understand your post enough to say anything but....hmmmm. very interesting.

now i am off. c you later
it is courtesy of the beeb.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (164)
70.69%
No I haven't decided yet (40)
17.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
12.07%

Watched Threads