evaluating sources A2 History part (a)

Watch
nathantrfc
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
whats the best way to evaluate sources?
as in my essay ive got the sources but described what its saying instead of evaluating it.

my essay is the impact of the policy of collectivisation in russia had on the soicey at the time!

help would be appreciated.

thanks.
esixbaby
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
PURPOSE- what's the purpose of the source? eg to inform/describe etc etc
AUTHOR- who's the author of the source. does this make them support one view or another etc
NATURE- book, report, will etc
DATE- does the date have any significance?
Flajamafloffl
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
For example a source regarding a Historian discussing communism in Russia pre 1990. Say for example a professor at Oxford.

Purpose - To inform and give a particular view about Russian History.

Origin - An Oxford Historian, gives a clear view which is....

Limitation - its pre 1990 so no access to Russian Archives, so lack of sources. If its pre 1990, there is no clear insight to how communism will last etc. He's English, he may well be biased. Whether or not you have historical knowledge that would suggest otherwise to his point.

Value - He's an oxford Historian, and therefore incredibly respected, he's most likely written other books which, if hes writing this one would've been respected etc, therfore he is credible. Whether or not he backs up his point?

PM for more help and or advice
Flajamafloffl
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Double post. Woops.
nathantrfc
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
thanks that has helped alot!

any ideas on how i can write about collectivisation affected society.. politicially, economicially, socially?
Flajamafloffl
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
For example a source regarding a Historian discussing communism in Russia pre 1990. Say for example a professor at Oxford.

Limitation - its pre 1990 so no access to Russian Archives, so lack of sources. If its pre 1990, there is no clear insight to how communism will last etc. He's English, he may well be biased. Whether or not you have historical knowledege that would suggest otherwise to his point.

Value - He's an oxford Historian, and therefore incredibly respected, he's most likely written other books which, if hes writing this one would've been respected etc, therefore he is credible. Whether or not he backs up his point?

Jakko247
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Flajamafloffl)

Limitation - its pre 1990 so no access to Russian Archives, so lack of sources. If its pre 1990, there is no clear insight to how communism will last etc. He's English, he may well be biased. Whether or not you have historical knowledge that would suggest otherwise to his point.

Value - He's an oxford Historian, and therefore incredibly respected, he's most likely written other books which, if hes writing this one would've been respected etc, therfore he is credible. Whether or not he backs up his point?

Sorry to hijack.

Do you have any inclination as to how to answer this type of question, language, phrases, structure?

How far do Sources 1 and 2 challange the view of Charles Stuart Parnell given in Source 3
unknownrebalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by esixbaby)
PURPOSE- what's the purpose of the source? eg to inform/describe etc etc
AUTHOR- who's the author of the source. does this make them support one view or another etc
NATURE- book, report, will etc
DATE- does the date have any significance?
that helps a lot
Inzamam99
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
As well as the above stuff, don't forget to cross-reference them and obviously put them into the context of your own knowledge.
Mann18
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Damn, so my source evaluation was crap. I basically went through limitations of my sources and what was particuarly good about the good sources.
unknownrebalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Any one know anything about: assess the significance or the personal rule of Charles for royal power years 1609-1640? (part a)
or
How significant were individual personalities in bringing about a parliamentary challenge to royal authority? (part b)

your help would be much appreciated! thank you
TheWhitestGirlAlive
Report 11 years ago
Use the DAMMIT thing...
its like
Date
Author
Mode
M...(i can't remember this one?)
Intended audience (like is it public or private)
Tone (like threatening... persuasive etc)

if i could remember what all the things were this would have possibly have been more helpful ahah but i find its easy to remember!
PS. you're so lucky your doing the russia one, i love russia! we have to do ireland 1900-1920... oh boy
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
As you're doing it based on Russia you should look out for the types of Historian.

For example if written whilst the Soviet Union was still in power may have an effect on anti communist writers who would write to emphasis the flaws with collectiviation whereas a Russian Historian (controlled by the State) would write with emphasis on the good sides towards the policies.
Flajamafloffl
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jakko247)
Sorry to hijack.

Do you have any inclination as to how to answer this type of question, language, phrases, structure?

How far do Sources 1 and 2 challange the view of Charles Stuart Parnell given in Source 3
Hi,

Well, I know nothing of Charles Stuart Parnell as I do IB History, not A level.

However, if I was given that question, I would proceed to make clear the views of source 1 and 2.

I would structure it such that I identify source 1 and its view, this I would compare with the view posed in source 3 and then the extent to which they agree. I would then make an overall judgement based on the extent in which they agree, do they make the same point using different facts? Have they got a completely different view? If so why? (but only briefly)

I would then repeat this for Source 2 and 3. Finally I would make an overall judgment based on the extent in which both sources agree with source 3, and why they do.

Hope thats been a little help.
Twilight =D
Report 11 years ago
Hi
i needed help on what u mean by nature - i know its a book or report
but how would u put it in a sentence
please help
RosieRG
Report 11 years ago
How does the nature influence what a source can tell you in relation to the question

Novel - possible authors interpretations
Report - ....
GRAFTER_91
Report 11 years ago
How do you analyse a newspaper article which is contemporary to the period being studied, say for example, the New York Times?
BembaNugget
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You have no idea how much this post has saved me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads