Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has anyone studying medicine had doubts?

ReputationRep:
    yes...
    especially at exam time. i've just done my first year, it was soo much fun, until exam time. i regret so much not going to lectures, sleeping in lectures and not doing any work. i passed, but it was the most stressful time of my life, literally. nothing could prepare me for these exams, i was crying a lot, i thought that it was all pointless cos there was no way i could pass and wondered if being a doctor was what i really wanted to do.
    i'm still not entirely sure, but i know i'm really lucky to get into a medical school, and that people thought i could do it. i spose all i can do is continue with it now; i know i'd be a fool to throw it away...
    ppl say that it's all worth it in the end, but i've still gotta see if they're right...
    xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im new here, n was just wondering if I could have your advice, cos you seem to be wondering whether medicine is right for you. Medicine has always appealed to me and loads of ppl say that id make a "good doctor" but theres loads of stuff that I wanna do before I make a decision about my career path. Medicine seems so definate and a career for life, do you think this is true? I was thinking about doing a degree in physiology or sumthing science based and then returning to the whole medicine idea later on but I know that graduate med courses are v hard to get onto. Can anyone give me ne advice as to wot I shud do??

ReputationRep:
    umm... I think you should apply for med anyway, and put physiology for your two remaining choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackerelmousse)
    Hey, Im new here, n was just wondering if I could have your advice, cos you seem to be wondering whether medicine is right for you. Medicine has always appealed to me and loads of ppl say that id make a "good doctor" but theres loads of stuff that I wanna do before I make a decision about my career path. Medicine seems so definate and a career for life, do you think this is true? I was thinking about doing a degree in physiology or sumthing science based and then returning to the whole medicine idea later on but I know that graduate med courses are v hard to get onto. Can anyone give me ne advice as to wot I shud do??
    It's not like you sign your life away once you get into med school. There are people who got med school, find they don't enjoy it and decide to pursue another career either medical related or in a totally different field. I'd say it is easier to go from medicine to something else than to go from something else into medicine.

Only you can decide what's best for you. Are you actually interested in doing physiology or do you want to do physiology to give you more time to make up your mind whether or not you want to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice, yeah I basically was considering doing physiology just to give me time to make up my mind. If I did a degree in medicine do you have to go striaght into medicine after completing it or could you wait a few years and then come back to it??

ReputationRep:
    my original question, is that unless you're 100% sure you want to become a doctor, is a medical degree a bad idea? i have arrived at medicine through a process of elimination. as medicine, unlike other degrees, is heavily vocational, i am finding myself wondering whether i shouldn't consider another degree? the problem is i can't think of one i would like to study more.

ReputationRep:
    You can still do clinical research if you don't like being a doctor. Surely you can work for drug firms as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant87)
    i have arrived at medicine through a process of elimination...
    that's exactly how i described my decision.
    & just going into my 3rd year now.

as long as it's an informed decision to study medicine (have a realistic idea of the career pathways, workload, work experience in healthcare environments etc) & you feel passionate enough to want to work hard at it, then i don't think you should avoid it because you feel a tad apprehensive that you haven't necessarily had the 'burning desire to be a dr since i was 5' & 'my life is over if i can't become a Dr' like some applicants seem to & is perceived as typical & desirable..

& as people have said - you don't just have to go into conventional-doctor-ness. i can't really see myself as a hospital dr/suregon type or a GP, but the more i study different areas i can see other options that i get excited about! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    I made mine through a practical version of elimination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    thankyou. you have put your finger on it! having been on medlink and met people who have wanted to be doctors their entire life, it made me question whether i was making the right choice. i'd like to be a doctor, but i don't think my life would be over if i couldn't become one. i guess i'll apply and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    No, ****ing love it. Great social life, interesting course, great people, great city. Wouldn't wanna be doing anytihng else, anywhere.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2005

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.