Turn on thread page Beta

medicine ppl watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I also applied to the PLME program in Brown University (US), where the BS/MD degree programs are combined (like the UK, with no undergrad requirement).

Might also apply to Canada (which unfortunately has the undergrad req) or here in Hong Kong (which has good PBL courses, but would be my last resort).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    I emailed back explaining how I had just gotten back from the UK, and now they're arranging a video conference, which should be interesting to say the least.
    Aw wow, that sounds so cool (jealous ) !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    Cambridge: rejected (today), but am still on a good note about the whole thing

Manchester: rejected without interview, which came as a shock to me (not that I got rejected per se, but that I didn't even make it to the interview)

Liverpool: nothing yet

Cardiff: acknowledgement, and an email that arrived on the night of my return from my Cambridge interview that said something like "if you're planning to go to the UK for other university interviews, please let us know the dates so we can arrange a suitable time for your interview". I emailed back explaining how I had just gotten back from the UK, and now they're arranging a video conference, which should be interesting to say the least.

Apparently the delay in those things is also quite horrible, but hey, it's an interview at least!
    hey was just wondering, did manchester actually write and reject or did u just not hear anything? tacita

ReputationRep:
    hey lucy- yeah I am definitely differring, I want to apply for NatSci and Durham. Its what I've always wanted to do! hehe..
    My doesn't know yet, he'll find out in the summer..

Thanks for asking, well done for Oxford! Which college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tacilou)
    hey was just wondering, did manchester actually write and reject or did u just not hear anything? tacita
    I first found out by checking my UCAS form (marked as "unsucessful" next the manchester box), and then the letter came afterwards. It said though that you could request additional information as to why you were rejected, which I did, but the reply was very vague. It said something like:

All applicants are required:
    1) Good AS grades
    2) Good predicted A2 grades
    3) "A clear commitment to study medicine"

I thought I had all three, but oh well, guess not!

(Original post by Lucy)
    Aw wow, that sounds so cool (jealous ) !
    Thanks Lucy but I'd probably rather have it in real life. Anyway, it should be an interesting experience with the video conference delay:

Hello Jon............ [5 seconds later] Hi Mr/Mrs ______, ................ Tell us, why do you want to study medicine?................. Well actually I...

The delay might get annoying, but at least I'll get more time to think of a clever response. If all else fails "I'm sorry, you're cracking up a bit... could you repeat that question?... what??..." (just joking of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    hey lucy- yeah I am definitely differring, I want to apply for NatSci and Durham. Its what I've always wanted to do! hehe..
    My doesn't know yet, he'll find out in the summer..

Thanks for asking, well done for Oxford! Which college?
    Thanks, it's Worcester college

Ah cool, glad to see you know what you want to do, best of luck with it all - you'll probably get to do something really fun and exciting in your gap year !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    Thanks Lucy but I'd probably rather have it in real life. Anyway, it should be an interesting experience with the video conference delay:

Hello Jon............ [5 seconds later] Hi Mr/Mrs ______, ................ Tell us, why do you want to study medicine?................. Well actually I...

The delay might get annoying, but at least I'll get more time to think of a clever response. If all else fails "I'm sorry, you're cracking up a bit... could you repeat that question?... what??..." (just joking of course)
    lol ! I'd rather have it in real life too - it just sounds so fun to have a video conference though Plus it's good that they're making the effort for you - best of luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Thanks, it's Worcester college

Ah cool, glad to see you know what you want to do, best of luck with it all - you'll probably get to do something really fun and exciting in your gap year !
    lol
    cleaning houses for a year! maybe hyhhe ,...

ReputationRep:
    BSMS-ABB
    Oxford-AAA (GO worcester lucy)
    Notts-stupid questionnaire only-i hate them!!!!!!!
    Edin-nada

Good luck ppl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    lol
    cleaning houses for a year! maybe hyhhe ,...
    wow, i DO NOT remember posting that message, I was at a friends the other night so must have done it a little worse for wear.. crikey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misty)
    wow, i DO NOT remember posting that message, I was at a friends the other night so must have done it a little worse for wear.. crikey!
    lol I found it amusing/intriguing anyway

ReputationRep:
    heheh, its true though because me and my friend are going to set up a little business and clean together to earn lots of cash!

ReputationRep:
    any more medics? serious lack of medics here!! lol!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone in your applications and interviews! Hope this time isn't too traumatic for you! I remember when i applied in 2001 I was so worried. I only had one offer but I'm loving it here!

Good luck and take care!

pkonline

ReputationRep:
    ive applied too.
    nottm - nothing
    leeds - ack
    newcastle - ack
    sheffield - nothing
    id like the security of having at least one offer/interview!
    kind of wish i'd applied to UCL but i couldnt afford the expense of a london uni, and i wasnt so keen on the courses at most of the other med schools. plus there was the bmat...!

ReputationRep:
    yay, heard from nottingham! I have an interview, that's kind of a relief!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae)
    ive applied too.
    nottm - nothing
    leeds - ack
    newcastle - ack
    sheffield - nothing
    id like the security of having at least one offer/interview!
    kind of wish i'd applied to UCL but i couldnt afford the expense of a london uni, and i wasnt so keen on the courses at most of the other med schools. plus there was the bmat...!

havnet heard n e thing either

ReputationRep:
    am happy heard from peninsula today n got an offer!! not sure what details are though as it was letter, not on ucas yet! i hope everyone else starts hearing soon!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a current medic if that counts

ReputationRep:
    Ok here goes,
    Birm- interview on the 12th Jan (mon argh)
    UWCM- awaiting decision after interview in Dec
    pms- offer got today (yah you get a points offer 340 i think)
    notts-offer AAB

Hopefully you got enough medics now....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2004
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.