Turn on thread page Beta

Should Britain protect industries that are uncompetitive? watch

ReputationRep:
    Totally off the topic, and i'm just hopping into this, but i've decided that you need a vacation, b/c every time I look at D&D i see a post by you as one of the most recent ones. :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Totally off the topic, and i'm just hopping into this, but i've decided that you need a vacation, b/c every time I look at D&D i see a post by you as one of the most recent ones. :tsr:
    LSE will be my vacation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    LSE will be my vacation.
    Yeah, that's a real way to get a tan... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's a real way to get a tan... :p:
    So says a Pittsburgher. :p:

ReputationRep:
    So says a Pittsburgher. :p:
    Only by location, though. And at least I have the excuse of living here for hockey and football! Going somewhere for the sake of academia? SO cliche!

ReputationRep:
    America has the lowest tariffs in the Western world (with the possible exception of Australia). Just because we have some tariffs, doesn't mean that we support protectionism. Laissez-faire can only be measured in degrees, and it's silly to claim that all other countries are protectionist merely because they protect one or two industries. The trend over the last 60 years has clearly been towards lower tariffs and subsidies, even in protectionist countries like France and Italy.

Furthermore, protectionism hurts the country doing the protecting far more than it hurts the nations its trying to protect its industries from, as protection requires high taxation (which stifles economic growth) and high consumer prices (due to a lack of competition).
    Bush placed steel tariffs on EU steel.

How is that not protectionism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    Bush placed steel tariffs on EU steel.

How is that not protectionism?
    It was protectionism; one instance of it. What's your point? I already said that no country has a system of pure free trade, just like there is no purely capitalist country. If it makes you feel better, Bush enacted the tariffs for purely political reasons; his economic advisors were urging him against it.

Only by location, though. And at least I have the excuse of living here for hockey and football! Going somewhere for the sake of academia? SO cliche!
    You're just jealous that your beaches have more smoot than sand. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You're just jealous that your beaches have more smoot than sand. :p:
    What beaches? The shores of the rivers? I don't think those really count.

ReputationRep:
    What beaches? The shores of the rivers? I don't think those really count.
    Perhaps I misspelled one of the words.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I misspelled one of the words.
    I'm not in a winking mood. See the NHL thread.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.