The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology Investigation - write-up

I was wondering if anyone has a template, or example of how to write-up the Investigation? Possibly, even there own write-up from this, or previous years that they could let me see?

I have my day-book and all my results but I'm very unsure of how to structure the entire write-up? Where to go in to detail, where not to?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
Reply 1
Basic Structure:
Title page
Contents page
Abstract
Introduction (includes underlying biology)
Experimental Procedures (or Method)
Results (including Anaylsis)
Conclusion
Evaluation
References

Investigation guidance:
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:NlkW1hMQiagJ:www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/NQBiologyAdvHInvestigationGuideMarch08.pdf+AH+biology+investigation+guidance&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESg_w_Z-Kexmt5LLRlub3Hs7sMY0TbbN6GdBQYheii6S7_ZN2rI9qzH9rBghUtIx1epLQ2NApuBSSPUoEnLhDTqW8vlaAbXqORTTcCqY40oA27LxoIYJw_I5u1DfHzAve7WxY4bR&sig=AHIEtbSUJ2BvHBvADAfpuR5uW9F7rJYOWg

I think there are other documents available on the sqa website too.

The abstract should be a short summary of your investigation and its findings, the intro should include the aims, hypothesises and the underlying biology and biological importance, the experimental procedure should explain how you did the experiment in enough detail for someone to repeat it, conclusion should be relevant to your aims, evaluation should discuss the procedure and results (minus calculations/graphs this section should probably be at least 1 and a half pages) .
Reply 2
No, sorry, I just read the guidance as that's all I could find
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
How long should the introduction be?
Original post by alix3618
How long should the introduction be?

There's no set length. I would say 15-25% of your total would be reasonable to aim for, but you should cover all the underlying biology, biological importance and relevance and aims/objectives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest