Turn on thread page Beta

Most popular college to go to the pool watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What college do you think will be the most poopular college for the pool? I have applied for Law, and I reckon for me anyway it will be a femal college, or Girton... what do you reckon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade)
    What college do you think will be the most poopular college for the pool? I have applied for Law, and I reckon for me anyway it will be a femal college, or Girton... what do you reckon?
    Im not sure about Girton having looked at all the applicants on the notice board. Although for History of art there was 1 app for 1 place

I here that there was a major increase in apps to Cam this year so that might be why, and all the other colleges may have expereicned similar rises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam-jones)
    Im not sure about Girton having looked at all the applicants on the notice board. Although for History of art there was 1 app for 1 place

I here that there was a major increase in apps to Cam this year so that might be why, and all the other colleges may have expereicned similar rises.
    If you get into the pool, are you likely to get another interview?? If I do get one, I reckon I'm just gonna be myself, and if they don't like that, then it is really there problem isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade)
    If you get into the pool, are you likely to get another interview?? If I do get one, I reckon I'm just gonna be myself, and if they don't like that, then it is really there problem isn't it?
    1 in 5 chance I think I read somewhere. Of course be yourself, who else would you be :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, applied to st cats to read english n got pooled (quite chuffed!) only thing is im not 100% at what that means! It seems a lot of ppl here got pooled, but will the admissions guys cast me to one side cos st cats isnt exactly Trinity of Kings????? That doesnt seem fair...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade)
    Makes me worry what you tried to be like in the initial interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolita)
    Hey, applied to st cats to read english n got pooled (quite chuffed!) only thing is im not 100% at what that means! It seems a lot of ppl here got pooled, but will the admissions guys cast me to one side cos st cats isnt exactly Trinity of Kings????? That doesnt seem fair...
    It might not be fair but apparently it happens (the arguement is that people who are pooled from e.g. trinity will be of a higher calibre because the competition will be harder there initially). However, some departments collaborate a lot so if you are really worth a place, your college will do their best to find you a place somewhere

ReputationRep:
    I think the idea's that the more people you're up against, the harder it is to get noticed enough to be put into the pool. e.g. emmanuel was 17 applications for 2 places for place, the average at cambridge is 8 applications per place, so... (*makes self feel better)

ReputationRep:
    If you are pooled, it is because they think you are good enough to get a place somewhere - the college you originally applied to shouldn't matter too much (besides, King's is popular but not all that great, and there are loads of tourists). I would say that if you are female there is quite a high chance you may be picked up by one of the girls' colleges, if you're male it's harder to tell. Girton does take quite a few out of the pool though, I believe.

The pool meeting (where all the fellows responsible for admissions pounce on the pooled applications and make their decisions) is tomorrow, btw, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all!

ReputationRep:
    Of course I was myself in the original interview. What I meant is that I have become quite disillusioned- going from being the top of the pile at school, to being not quite good enough for St Johns. Therefore, I 'll give back what is thrown at me, not try to arse lick the interviewers, which I wudnever do, but above all prove that I am suited to Cam, and whateva I know what I mean Lol

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me if King's is a good college to get pooled from (for maths) i think the ratio of apps to places is highest at kings of all the cam colleges.

ReputationRep:
    You only get into the pool if the college you've applied for thinks that you're good enough to go to Cambridge, but due to high competition for places in their college, you don't initially get a place there.

Good Luck to you all!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    I think the idea's that the more people you're up against, the harder it is to get noticed enough to be put into the pool. e.g. emmanuel was 17 applications for 2 places for place, the average at cambridge is 8 applications per place, so... (*makes self feel better)
    Hehehe yes, there were about 26 for about 4 places at Clare. Why were we so foolish? lol.

(Original post by Seer)
    ...so emmananuel was average?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.