The Student Room Group

how do you make good revision notes ?

I'm struggling a bit here with making revision notes. I realise that me usual way of revising is too inefficient time-wise. I have a thick economic textbook and it seem to take me forever to write out notes for just two pages. I want ask how do other people make notes? Do you use mainly bullet points and no paragraphs at all?

What I find is that sometimes I end up just copying chunks of the page because it takes me longer to try and to condense large paragraghs of information into 'notes'.

Also, can someone show me example of a good revision mindmap through attaching it as a picture or some other ways? I've never really used mindmaps to revise, and I'm not sure what to put as the title in the middle? Do I make separate mindmaps for indivdual topics in the content page or do I base them on smaller parts within those topics?

For example in my economics textbook, there are clearly defined topics within the whole macroeconomic section such as 'world trade', 'fiscal policy', 'balance of payment issues', 'taxation', 'the redistribution of wealth and income', 'trade policy' and 'world capital flow'.
However, within those topics are sub-sections. For example in the topic of 'trade policy', theres 4 sub-sections such as 'the benefits of trade' and 'the methods of trade protection'.
Reply 1
I mainly use bullet points myself, simply because it saves time compared to both reading and writing full paragraphs.

Occasionally I'll write a some complete sentences of course, for eg. when stating a definition or something of the sort.

I also use different colored pens, makes it much easier to differentiate between headers, the actual points and short reminders :smile:

Never found mind-maps to work for me though, it was a pain to plan them so they didn't turn out messy :/ Can't help you there..

I think it would be easier to base them on the smaller parts within the topics, though. It'd get too cluttered if you tried to squeeze too much into a single sheet :smile:
Reply 2
LetoKynes
I mainly use bullet points myself, simply because it saves time compared to both reading and writing full paragraphs.

Occasionally I'll write a some complete sentences of course, for eg. when stating a definition or something of the sort.

I also use different colored pens, makes it much easier to differentiate between headers, the actual points and short reminders :smile:

Never found mind-maps to work for me though, it was a pain to plan them so they didn't turn out messy :/ Can't help you there..

I think it would be easier to base them on the smaller parts within the topics, though. It'd get too cluttered if you tried to squeeze too much into a single sheet :smile:

This.

Plus don't copy out the textbook directly word for word, make it into stuff that you understand and that you will easily remember.

:smile:
Reply 3
Here is my example of a mindmap (attached)

I summarise each chapter into one mindmap (A4) you get all the details you need mapped onto one page and learn it. However, I dont use colours as I dont think it helps me personally so to some people it will look a little bland :o:
This is a mindmap:

This is a spider diagram:

I personally like making spider diagrams (but with colour). They just seem to work for me. Remember to match your revision technique to how YOU learn best (e.g. visual=posters, mindmaps, spider diagrams, audio=podcasts, songs, feeling/space=acting it out etc)
Reply 5
Usually, I man up and don't write much and just read excessively until the exam, but this rodeo, I'm going to make A3 sheets with lines of argument on (I take essay subjects apart from biology with I'll just revise mark schemes for.)

Add that to blutac, apply to bedroom wall, hopefully= 3As.
Reply 6
Nayberay
This.

Plus don't copy out the textbook directly word for word, make it into stuff that you understand and that you will easily remember.

:smile:

As someone else contemplating a gap year, what do you think you'll do? Do both the 2 new ASs and get a part time job?

I think I might take a full-time job and try do A-level maths or something if I do end up taking one.
Reply 7
Mann18
As someone else contemplating a gap year, what do you think you'll do? Do both the 2 new ASs and get a part time job?

I think I might take a full-time job and try do A-level maths or something if I do end up taking one.

OP sorry for this post..

I'm 80% sure that I will end up having the gap year erm and I already have a part time job at Chelsea FC and I have enrolled with a college to do AS Economics & History/Politics (or both maybe to keep myself occupied), I haven't got the money to travel and even I did I don't think it would suit me.

So both. I'm looking for a second job at the moment though because Chelsea is nearly finished for this season, but yeah thats the plan... hopefully :yes:
Reply 8
I don't use bullet points or paragraphs, I just write things on the paper however I want to.

If you read a topic/section or whatever and understand it you should be able to make notes on it, just key things you don't want to forget. Notes are supposed to be notes, not a spare copy of the textbook.

CraftyGirl
seriously tho, I am struggling with this too. I am reading every book in the local library to work this out, but it would be cool if colleges ran classes to help us work out what needs to go in and what stays out. Why does no one run that kind of thing?:frown:

Because it's considered common sense, there's revisions notes posted on TSR sometimes, usually in threads the day before the exam. I could show you my Chemistry notes but Chemistry isn't an essay type subject.

Also the main purpose of school teachers (at least to me) is to help explain what you do and don't need to know for the exam.
Reply 9
Nayberay
OP sorry for this post..

I'm 80% sure that I will end up having the gap year erm and I already have a part time job at Chelsea FC and I have enrolled with a college to do AS Economics & History/Politics (or both maybe to keep myself occupied), I haven't got the money to travel and even I did I don't think it would suit me.

So both. I'm looking for a second job at the moment though because Chelsea is nearly finished for this season, but yeah thats the plan... hopefully :yes:

Yeah, sorry OP.

Well it sounds like a plan, good luck with it! Pretty badass working at Chelsea!
Reply 10
Mann18
Yeah, sorry OP.

Well it sounds like a plan, good luck with it! Pretty badass working at Chelsea!

Hopefully it will work, best of luck with your gap year too. :yep:
CraftyGirl
seriously tho, I am struggling with this too. I am reading every book in the local library to work this out, but it would be cool if colleges ran classes to help us work out what needs to go in and what stays out. Why does no one run that kind of thing?:frown:

There are books on effective studying/revision in most libraries (I know all the ones near me have them anyway!) Why not go in and ask a librarian if they know where they'd be? Tony Buzzan has done quite a few but obviously he's quite the fan of mindmaps.
Reply 12
It varies for subject on how I take notes. Psych is in paragraphs, each one on a different piece of research. History in bullet points, by date. Economics just gets put straight into questions/answers on flashcards- I find that I don't need notes, because the majority of it is understanding, not facts? Like, you need to know definitions and stuff, so they're good to write down, but stuff like what happens if interest rates rise, I just know, it's almost common sense, so there's no point writing it down.
Reply 13
Me personally pick out the key parts of the information provided and put them into bullet point or you could try making a spider diagram with the key bits comming off with your title or aim in the centre
How do you make good revision notes
I make posters and put them on my wall so when I wake up I can read them and remember them till the next morning over and over again till the big day😉😇
Original post by Jaspreet92
Here is my example of a mindmap (attached)

I summarise each chapter into one mindmap (A4) you get all the details you need mapped onto one page and learn it. However, I dont use colours as I dont think it helps me personally so to some people it will look a little bland :o:

How can you fit a whole topic into one spider diagram??
And with physics I don't understand how you could put everything from a topic into a spider diagram. or maths.

Any ideas? Thankysm
Original post by Mann18
Usually, I man up and don't write much and just read excessively until the exam, but this rodeo, I'm going to make A3 sheets with lines of argument on (I take essay subjects apart from biology with I'll just revise mark schemes for.)

Add that to blutac, apply to bedroom wall, hopefully= 3As.

6 years later. Did this get you 3 As?
#sorted

Quick Reply

Latest