The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I didn't do F. Maths in a class environment, but my school's entire class of three were girls.

(Okay, fine! I went to a single sex school :wink:)
Reply 21
hey... wen they calculate the score for further maths, is it the 12 modules added together and then a grade taken?
No. The 6 modules for F. Maths only are added together and a grade taken - it's entirely possible to get an A for Maths and a U for further Maths for example.
Reply 23
k...thanks
Reply 24
*Is jealous that you all got to do an easier Maths/F Maths A level than me* :frown:

I got around 575+ in my normal Maths which I did three years ago, and 565-ish in further maths which I did two years ago.
Reply 25
jakeyyyyy
hey... wen they calculate the score for further maths, is it the 12 modules added together and then a grade taken?

It's worked out so you get the best possible grades. You need P1-3 for normal maths and P4 for further maths. Any other grades are interchangeable.
Reply 26
Lauren
It's worked out so you get the best possible grades. You need P1-3 for normal maths and P4 for further maths. Any other grades are interchangeable.

What do you mean P1-P3 and P4? For AQA Further Maths I did MBP3, MBP6, MBP7, MBM4, MBM5, MBM6. I am not understanding which papers you are talking about.
Reply 27
ferschu
What do you mean P1-P3 and P4? For AQA Further Maths I did MBP3, MBP6, MBP7, MBM4, MBM5, MBM6. I am not understanding which papers you are talking about.

It's obviously a different exam board... And I also said I took my A levels a few years ago.
Reply 28
oh. So if it's a different exam board, the exam 3 yrs ago is not necessarily harder.
Reply 29
I haven’t started my further maths course yet; in my college you do your a-level in maths in one year and then do your a-level in further maths in you A2 year. I was just wondering how does further maths compare in terms of difficulty to you normal a-level maths.
ferschu

Agreed - AQA B with the full Mechanics route was the most difficult of all the syllabuses I researched (and being a private candidate, I researched pretty seriously). If you mix and match, or take the Stats route, it's a much easier ride but if you're crazy and want the Stats modules for a separate A level, then it's quite a bit of work in comparison to other boards.
Lauren
It's obviously a different exam board... And I also said I took my A levels a few years ago.

weird, don't AQA do P1-P3??? What are MBPx's?
R0bert
I haven’t started my further maths course yet; in my college you do your a-level in maths in one year and then do your a-level in further maths in you A2 year. I was just wondering how does further maths compare in terms of difficulty to you normal a-level maths.

well we did 2/3 of the further maths in lower sixth (d1 and s2), and then did p4-p6, and m3 in upper sixth. Then I decided to switch to the new syllabus so i could drop p5 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:
so my further maths was FP1, FP3, M3, S1, S2, D1 and normal maths C1-C4, M1 M2.

we had about 12 people in AS but everyone started dropping out and we were left with 5.
darkenergy
weird, don't AQA do P1-P3??? What are MBPx's?

There are two syllabuses - A and B. B (generalising here) demands greater depth of knowledge, but allows you to take just one applied option throughout. A requires a more rounded base, but does not appear to require such detail in later applied modules as B.
OH I see. It's confusing :biggrin:
Reply 35
I did Edexcel Maths and Further Maths (M1-M4, S1, S2 - along with the usual P1-P6).
Overall, I found it quite reasonable. Only failed to get into the 90s or 100 with 2 of the modules (P4 and S2). Basically, if you work hard enough, then you're capable of getting really good results.

I have to say that when looking at one of the AQA syllabuses, it seemed an awful lot harder than our one.

[Oh, and there's around 120 people in our sixth form- 5 of us did Further Maths, and I'd say at least 70-80 do Maths]

Latest