Globalisation, positive and negative effects of

Watch
This discussion is closed.
feltree
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Entering 2004, globalisation has made it possible to communicate among us through webs like this, to buy asian commodities, or to travel abroad easier than before, but... we do accept that there are certain shortcomings, don´t we?

The gap between developed countries and non developed is getting wider and wider day in day out
Countries are losing their identity, culture, values, etc.

What´s your opinion about this?
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, it might sound cruel but I don't think the developed countries should 'weaken' themselves, simply to make the world more balanced.
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Well, it might sound cruel but I don't think the developed countries should 'weaken' themselves, simply to make the world more balanced.
exactly.....and its not like the age old traditions are going away, while we now have the internet and i can talk instantaneously with anyone that i choose around the globe....i still cant be there and have their food, or here there language.....the physical boundaries are still alive and well!
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, it might sound cruel but I don't think the developed countries should 'weaken' themselves, simply to make the world more balanced
so u dont care that 1 billion people dont have runing water and 2.6billion have no sanitation? nice
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by feltree)
What´s your opinion about this?
Its crap and mainly uneccesary
Buy fair Trade
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
so u dont care that 1 billion people dont have runing water and 2.6billion have no sanitation? nice
Of course I do. Please don't jump to conclusions. I just think that the developed countries shouldn't do all the hard work like providing funds, aid etc....and that the developing countries should do more so that one day, they are able to manage their countries on their own.
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

no point in having the entire world so everyone is on a even keel...a bit bland, a bit of a communist view? I think we should help them, but at the end of the day the more developed countries should not have to carry the less developed ones
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by munchie_rox)
no point in having the entire world so everyone is on a even keel...a bit bland, a bit of a communist view? I think we should help them, but at the end of the day the more developed countries should not have to carry the less developed ones
we will never have an even keel and your right it wouldnt work, but the point i was trying to make is that not having runing water is an inexpesive thing to solve and would improve the lives of so many. and it is up to the developed countries to change the system of trade and international finnance since at the moment the system is unfair with the rich getting rich and the poor getting pooer. an example of this is debt where the orginal amount has been payed but because of the intrests rates the less developed countries are still getting screwed over
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Of course I do. Please don't jump to conclusions. I just think that the developed countries shouldn't do all the hard work like providing funds, aid etc....and that the developing countries should do more so that one day, they are able to manage their countries on their own.
in this post above u seem to suggest the poor countries arent actually trying to improve their own situation, i dont think you will find that is the case it is more that the world in inheritently unfair to them and so that is why developed countries must do more to make up for the injustice going on now and in the past
feltree
I think this is a selfish point of view, ´cause we have taken the resources´ right of exploitation from many non developed countries: petroleum, cereals, wood, minerals, ... And even these resources are in the soil of that countries, isn´t it unfair?
munchie_rox
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by feltree)
I think this is a selfish point of view, ´cause we have taken the resources´ right of exploitation from many non developed countries: petroleum, cereals, wood, minerals, ... And even these resources are in the soil of that countries, isn´t it unfair?

im not saying we should abandon those countries, im just saying its not fair that we should have to carry them, they should be able to manage them selves, its not selfish, just realistic, we cant carry the weight of them.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im not saying we should abandon those countries, im just saying its not fair that we should have to carry them, they should be able to manage them selves, its not selfish, just realistic, we cant carry the weight of them
so its ok that so guy is earning 25p an hour in awful conditions in some sweat shop so that you can pay £50 for a pair of trainers that cost £2.50 to make because after all thats really fair on the workers.

ur suggesting that these countires arent trying to improve themselves and are happy to be poor! that is obviously a load of rubbish!

as ilistrated above because mulitnational compaines are so big they can take advantage of 3rd countries that is unfair and needs to be stopped
feltree
im not saying we should abandon those countries, im just saying its not fair that we should have to carry them, they should be able to manage them selves, its not selfish, just realistic, we cant carry the weight of them.
OK, we have to accept we can do little for that countries, our governments have the chance to send more resources (money, knowledge, ...), but they don´t care, in the end the global economy is what counts, but we should tend to balance the existing differences, and the latest enquiries shows a wider gap year in year out between both worlds.

Regards
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
also worth considering is the difference between spending on arms and aid
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
surely on the whole it's our (the developed world's) fault that they are unable to improve themselves? instilling warlords, protectionist barriers to trade, unfeisably high prices for aids medicines, the aftermath of decolonisation and the depletion of their natural resources etc

throughout history our development has been at their expense
zizero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Globalisation has actually reduced the number of people in absolute poverty and has raised living standards all over the world.

The fact that people associate globalisation with exploitation and poverty is caused by globalisation making differences more obvious rather than creating them. No one cared about children dying in Africa in the days when there was no TV to show them.

I think the overall effect of globalisation can only be good. The opening of boundaries and freer trade can only help to promote freedom and prosperity.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
Globalisation has actually reduced the number of people in absolute poverty and has raised living standards all over the world.

The fact that people associate globalisation with exploitation and poverty is caused by globalisation making differences more obvious rather than creating them. No one cared about children dying in Africa in the days when there was no TV to show them.

I think the overall effect of globalisation can only be good. The opening of boundaries and freer trade can only help to promote freedom and prosperity.
what you have failed to mention is the people in africa suffering are suffering on more (ie more people are suffering) because of the economic policy of the develop countires in the world

if your definition of globaliation is this "The opening of boundaries and freer trade can only help to promote freedom and prosperity" i agree that can only be good for the world however i dont think that is what is actually happening in reality. one only has to look at nike or gap or macdonald to see that
zizero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what you have failed to mention is the people in africa suffering are suffering on more (ie more people are suffering) because of the economic policy of the develop countires in the world

if your definition of globaliation is this "The opening of boundaries and freer trade can only help to promote freedom and prosperity" i agree that can only be good for the world however i dont think that is what is actually happening in reality. one only has to look at nike or gap or macdonald to see that
Nike and Gap are providing jobs where otherwise there would we unemployment.

McDonalds are providing cheap food were otherwise people would find it difficult to eat at an affordable price.

If by 'the economic policy of the develop countires', you're referring to such schemes as the EU's CAP (Common Agricultural Policy) then you're right. But those schemes have nothing to do with globalisation. They are reactionary in relation to globalisation. They are trying to prevent the opening up of everything and hence they are against globalisation. You can't blame globalisation for the actions of people who are trying to fight it.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nike and gap also pay ridicolous salaries in order to achieve enormus profits so their directors can buy their 8th house where ever, it would be far more responsible in terms of sustainable development to increase the workers pay and cut profits

macdonalds is corrupting peoples taste accross the globe

no by econonmic policy im talking about schemes like the descisons made on the policy of indonesia in the 1960's by the world bank which lead to it being importing american food stuffs heavily and thus destroying the lively hood of the indonesian farmers in order to achieve food and line the pockets of the United States
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
no by econonmic policy im talking about schemes like the descisons made on the policy of indonesia in the 1960's by the world bank which lead to it being importing american food stuffs heavily and thus destroying the lively hood of the indonesian farmers in order to achieve food and line the pockets of the United States
but world bank policy also began it's steps towards further development, opening up its markets for foreign investment...surely one would sacrifice having to eat big macs once in a while(okay and horrendous human rights abuses, they can't be excused) for much higher standards of living/life expectancy/employment etc
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads