Turn on thread page Beta

Globalisation, positive and negative effects of watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Erm no. You are the petty one, to actively search for some loose comment is pathetic, a comment which if you look hard enough wasn't even aimed at you, Oh Mr 'Youhurtmyfeelings'.

If you hadn't called my story stupid then there would be no problems, but since you did, I am somewhat offended by your manner. Gee, its only an apology that I want, any decent gentleman would have made the apology knowing full well that they where wrong and willing to accept that they where wrong. but not you, you had to blow it out of proportions, just because of your ego, and sense of pride.
    ok i apologies for whatever i did to get you in such a mood! wow happy now?

ReputationRep:
    does this mean you are gonna explain your way of helping the 3rd world considering the current system is producing a bigger gap Bhaal85?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    ok i apologies for whatever i did to get you in such a mood! wow happy now?
    Apology accepted.

does this mean you are gonna explain your way of helping the 3rd world considering the current system is producing a bigger gap Bhaal85?
    To be realistic there is not much that I can do, or any of us for that matter. In a third world country, the only thing they can do is try and attract more investment into the country. Now, we all know that big multi-nationals exploit such countries, however they still provide employment and are contributing to the countries economy.

What do you propose?

ReputationRep:
    ive spent the last 20 or so posts trying to explain what i would do

ReputationRep:
    ive spent the last 20 or so posts trying to explain what i would do
    I take it your not a big fan of America?

ReputationRep:
    i have nothing against americans (the people) however certain aspects of their foregin policy leave alot to be desired

ReputationRep:
    firstly thanks for explainly about CAP i agree totally with what you said from what you have said

on the last point, or the developed world could get rid of debt allowing 3rd countries to subsides their own farmers so they can can buy the technology to produce more. it wouldnt result in a flood of goods from africa but it would make the situation better than it is and fairer. that doesnt also address the issue of the fact that because at the moment multinational companies can import their good cheaply putting local workers out of business. surely the jobs of the local worker are more important than the profits of the companies
    You are questioning the ethics and morals of a business. In the real world, big multinationals dont care about there people, the only reason they get away with it, is because they dont recieve as much negative press that they deserve. They are out to make a profit, cause at the end of the day they are accountable to the shareholders.

ReputationRep:
    You are questioning the ethics and morals of a business. In the real world, big multinationals dont care about there people, the only reason they get away with it, is because they dont recieve as much negative press that they deserve. They are out to make a profit, cause at the end of the day they are accountable to the shareholders.
    But then again, companies like 'Nike', 'GAP' and various others have been caught out with their exploitation. However, apart from some slightly negative press, and documentaries/exposures made about them, they are still operating, why you ask? Because we, as the consumer are still demanding their products.

ReputationRep:
    But then again, companies like 'Nike', 'GAP' and various others have been caught out with their exploitation. However, apart from some slightly negative press, and documentaries/exposures made about them, they are still operating, why you ask? Because we, as the consumer are still demanding their products.
    which is why you should buy fair trade altho its hard admitadly for some products

ReputationRep:
    which is why you should buy fair trade altho its hard admitadly for some products
    Limited in the selection of goods.

ReputationRep:
    surely the jobs of the local worker are more important than the profits of the companies
    Did you then take into consideration that teh production will become less effective, that prices will rise, less people will be able to afford the products, those who use the products to create their own products will have to pay more to create their products, thus all secondary products also get more expensive. See where this is leading ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan)
    Did you then take into consideration that teh production will become less effective, that prices will rise, less people will be able to afford the products, those who use the products to create their own products will have to pay more to create their products, thus all secondary products also get more expensive. See where this is leading ?
    yup i can see where ur trying to make it led but you have assumed that the i want the companies to make the same profits, which i dont therefore the prices dont need to rise. I am saying they should cut their profits to become more ethical.

ReputationRep:
    yup i can see where ur trying to make it led but you have assumed that the i want the companies to make the same profits, which i dont therefore the prices dont need to rise. I am saying they should cut their profits to become more ethical.
    Prices are not simply something companies set to make maximum profit. Prices depend on both the supply (what the producers can earn) and the demand (What consumers are willing to pay). If you cut prices below the natural level of equilibrium, demand will increase above supply which will result in a lack of goods. This happened in the sovjet union when the communist government set prices by law instead of allowing a free market. Stores run out of goods and people have to quee to get even the most basic supplies. The actual prices are therefore not merely the price which cause a company to gain the most profit. What you seem to be sugesting is to cause a shift in supply in such a way that suppliers will supply more at the same price. The problem with this is it costs money. Someone, somwhere will have to pay. This usually implies higher taxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Prices are not simply something companies set to make maximum profit. Prices depend on both the supply (what the producers can earn) and the demand (What consumers are willing to pay). If you cut prices below the natural level of equilibrium, demand will increase above supply which will result in a lack of goods. This happened in the sovjet union when the communist government set prices by law instead of allowing a free market. Stores run out of goods and people have to quee to get even the most basic supplies. The actual prices are therefore not merely the price which cause a company to gain the most profit. What you seem to be sugesting is to cause a shift in supply in such a way that suppliers will supply more at the same price. The problem with this is it costs money. Someone, somwhere will have to pay. This usually implies higher taxes.
    Yes, but then people will seek products elsewhere and imports will thrive.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but then people will seek products elsewhere and imports will thrive.
    No. Lower domestic prices means people will buy less imports. Thus if you want to favourise imports you will have to increase the domestic prices, which basicly means you have to pay producers not to produce products.

ReputationRep:
    No. Lower domestic prices means people will buy less imports. Thus if you want to favourise imports you will have to increase the domestic prices, which basicly means you have to pay producers not to produce products.
    If however, manufacturers have increased costs, this means the retailer charges more for the product in order to make their profit. If there is an increase in the price, then some consumers may look at purchasing imports which are cheaper, but of course this depends on the tpye of good and the price elasticity of the good.

ReputationRep:
    about half my wardrobe is from the GAP, the other half is from various stores.......

and i have 2 pairs of nike running shoes, and one nike drag suit.....

ReputationRep:
    its very easy to say "im anti-globalisation" while i sit on the internet, drink coke etc etc. such globalisation is inevitable as communication and travel gets easier, we've got to accept that the majority of people like the products of multi-nationals, mcdonalds tastes good (thats debatable) etc etc.

however you have to weigh this up with the idea that people eat mcdonalds because of the weight that the multinational has around the globe, that other companys cannot compete. such large multi-nationals, many wealthier than nation states are having more and more influence and are able to avoid regulation and procedure by moving business to other (cheaper) parts of the world and exploit the locals. the sad fact is that such companies pay better than state/local companies due to their size and therefore they squeeze local competition.

they might get better wages but when conditions improve nothing is stopping these companies moving on and exploiting lower pay conditions else-where. short term it can be good, long term it can be damaging, take the 1997 south east asia collapse. countries were told to open up markets to foriegn/multi-national investment which forced state investment (and therefre debt up) and when the bubble burst such companies got out, moving business elsewhere leaving a lot of debt and unemploymemt. stricter state envolvement is needed in managing multi national/foreign investment/business, regulations need to be imposed on comapnies to stop expolitation and help local comapnies produce and compete

ReputationRep:
    If however, manufacturers have increased costs, this means the retailer charges more for the product in order to make their profit. If there is an increase in the price, then some consumers may look at purchasing imports which are cheaper, but of course this depends on the tpye of good and the price elasticity of the good.
    And how are you going to increase the cost in this case? Indirect taxation? That will only cause the companies to move their business to other countries, eg to the places where they have the lowest cost, which coincidently happen to be underpayed workers in poor parts of the world.

ReputationRep:
    And how are you going to increase the cost in this case? Indirect taxation? That will only cause the companies to move their business to other countries, eg to the places where they have the lowest cost, which coincidently happen to be underpayed workers in poor parts of the world.
    Well yea, that's why you need worldwide standards otherwise the system breaks down.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.