Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Well yea, that's why you need worldwide standards otherwise the system breaks down.
    In other words, you need globalisation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    And how are you going to increase the cost in this case? Indirect taxation? That will only cause the companies to move their business to other countries, eg to the places where they have the lowest cost, which coincidently happen to be underpayed workers in poor parts of the world.
    I never said which way I am inclined.

However with regards to your argument, I only said if costs increased, and this could be for a number of reasons. Such as the cost of raw materials. Or perhaps the price, if there is surplus demand and not enough products then retailers could increase their price to take advantage, which many businesses will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I never said which way I am inclined.

However with regards to your argument, I only said if costs increased, and this could be for a number of reasons. Such as the cost of raw materials. Or perhaps the price, if there is surplus demand and not enough products then retailers could increase their price to take advantage, which many businesses will do.
    The problem is that using supply side measures to favour trade for poor countries will only add to companies moving their production to poor countries where they exploit the low standard of living of the population.

ReputationRep:
    In other words, you need globalisation...
    I've nothing against Globalisation, it's the way it has been implemented which I don't like.

ReputationRep:
    I've nothing against Globalisation, it's the way it has been implemented which I don't like.
    Then we agree...

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that using supply side measures to favour trade for poor countries will only add to companies moving their production to poor countries where they exploit the low standard of living of the population.
    Companies moving production to poor countries is a "good thing" for the countries involved. The only problem is that they're aren't enough worldwide, "basic" standards in place in order to help out the workers in these countries.

ReputationRep:
    Then we agree...
    On this basic principle, yes

ReputationRep:
    Companies moving production to poor countries is a "good thing" for the countries involved. The only problem is that they're aren't enough worldwide, "basic" standards in place in order to help out the workers in these countries.
    Agreed. I find that many of the multinationals base their working practices and standards with companies already present in the country, to me this doesn't really improve the working conditions of the employees. It should change as the decrease in unit costs and higher profit margins should in a perfect world, be used to assist people. People in Less Economically Developed Countries are desperate for employment to sustain their families, this means that the big time multinationals are able to hire and fire at will, if employees dont conform to their working practices. Tis a shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Agreed. I find that many of the multinationals base their working practices and standards with companies already present in the country, to me this doesn't really improve the working conditions of the employees. It should change as the decrease in unit costs and higher profit margins should in a perfect world, be used to assist people. People in Less Economically Developed Countries are desperate for employment to sustain their families, this means that the big time multinationals are able to hire and fire at will, if employees dont conform to their working practices. Tis a shame.
    Any comments?

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.