Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I was quite fine with my results on results day at my college. Sure, it took me 2 hours of being in college to open them (I had to wait until most people had left and went onto the field with my friends; even then I had to muster courage for ages) but I was ok with them since some of my results were 3 grades higher than predictions, etc. Then I came on TSR and EVERYONE has done better than me, I swear. They haven't just got As; they've got 300/300s and 600/600s and 100% in every module. I mean, I couldn't even get that in General or Media Studies!
    It makes me feel so stupid and worthless and that getting into a decent University will be impossible. Ok, maybe I didn't spend every day doing homework and revising to get those sorts of point scores, but I doubt you guys did either. I think I'm having one of those midlife crises (yes, at the rate I'm going I'll live to 34) where you see how little you've achieved in your long (sort of) and meaningless existence.

Edit: Of course my signature is just a front. I do care about going to a good Uni (I think Oxbridge is well out of the equation but oh well).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I feel dumb as well. I don't even have the breakdown of my marks yet (I rank my school up to find out). I got AAAA, but then all these others come along and say "I got AAAAa" or "AAAAA" or "I did a history a-level on top of my other 5 A-levels"... and it makes my grades look crap, and me feel merely mediocre, although I know I'm in the top 3% of entrants in the country (who gain strings of "A"s).

And then the media with their barf about "A-Levels are too simple" etc... it makes me think that gaining straight "A"s is the least you have to do to be classed as 'average' these days by the media. "Oh, he's got AAAAAAAAAA, so what, the exams were simple". No. They. Weren't. Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GengisKahn)
    And then the media with their barf about "A-Levels are too simple" etc... it makes me think that gaining straight "A"s is the least you have to do to be classed as 'average' these days by the media.
    completely agree!!! Having a B makes me feel like I'm not good enough or something!

ReputationRep:
    meh thats something in life you have to learn to accept, no matter how good you are, theres always someone better...
    TSR is full of very smart people, just be happy with what you got instead of looking elsewhere..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    completely agree!!! Having a B makes me feel like I'm not good enough or something!

Thats how I felt when I came on here!

ReputationRep:
    well YOU GUYS are making me feel stupid now, because i only got 1 A, and im still applying to oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I felt like this last year; use it to motivate yourself as you obviously have the ability and care about your education enough.

Remember that A-Levels are often more of a memory and technique test than one of intelligence - so don't worry if you don't get A grades (though certainly aim for them).

A final note is that this forum has a very skewed demographic - obviously the vast majority of people on here really care quite a lot about their education and will thus earn higher grades.

ReputationRep:
    I remember that year for my AS I got BBB and my friends were getting AAB or ABB and I felt well gutted. But really, it was the kick up the arse I needed. Honestly though, if your getting an A be happy!

It's true getting an A nowadays is really not enough. You don't want to have marginal results. You have to shine in the crowd. But don't work yourself too hard. That's the hard part: don't work yourself to death, but at the same time, do well in what you want to do well, which means planning is key.

By the way, do not compare your results with others too much. It's generally unhealthy. Compete with yourself. If you do unwell, don't let that be a barrier. If it is, then you will never suceed.

That's my tips.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    There's always going to be someone who's done better than you. If you've done your best, that's all you can do... and you've got excellent grades, so smile!

ReputationRep:
    The thing is there is a wide range of people, and some are better than others. You get those naturally bright people who just do it and get it all right, or most of it. Then you get the others who work so hard and don't even get 1 C, and some get all U's. Then you get the others inbetween. I worked so hard an ended up with D,D,E when I was expecting D,D,D or maybe even C,D,D. And looking at all these people who got A's and 100% in modules and stuff, it is off putting. But I just think that they're just those people of are naturally bright, and there are few of them around. There are plenty of people who get D's and E's who don't show off their results even though they've put so much work in because all the hype is about people getting straight A's.

I personally blame it mostly on the media, they always get people who get A's & B's to announce their results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yelwalkietalkie)
    Ok, I was quite fine with my results on results day at my college. Sure, it took me 2 hours of being in college to open them (I had to wait until most people had left and went onto the field with my friends; even then I had to muster courage for ages) but I was ok with them since some of my results were 3 grades higher than predictions, etc. Then I came on TSR and EVERYONE has done better than me, I swear. They haven't just got As; they've got 300/300s and 600/600s and 100% in every module. I mean, I couldn't even get that in General or Media Studies!
    It makes me feel so stupid and worthless and that getting into a decent University will be impossible. Ok, maybe I didn't spend every day doing homework and revising to get those sorts of point scores, but I doubt you guys did either. I think I'm having one of those midlife crises (yes, at the rate I'm going I'll live to 34) where you see how little you've achieved in your long (sort of) and meaningless existence.
    i think the key thing in that is you're happy with them, and with grades 3 higher than predictions, you've done better than the students on here who've gotten what they were predicted even if they were predicted straight A's. and bear in mind, on the whole people will only post their grades if they are really good and that TSR is not a genuine reflection of students in general, but mainly those who want to do well.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt worry about what other people got at all, Fair enough alot of people on these forums have got 3+ a's, but every one is differnt and when you look at the statistics at the number of people who got a's in everything, it would appear there is a uneven proportion of people with those a's on this forum! Anyway an A grade is the top mark , but if someone who willl be lucky to pass any a levels gets a C/D/E then they will feel over the moon so i wouldnt worry, there is always people who will do better than you its just a sad life, the only thing thing you can do is the best for you.

ReputationRep:
    There's always going to be someone better than you at *everything*. I don't understand personally how anyone can handle seven or ten A Levels and get straight As, or why a lot of people who've received As all their life think they appreciate it more than those who don't and suddenly do. I never would have thought in a million years I'd do as well as I did for Sociology, and I did. I'm absolutely ecstatic I got an A.

ReputationRep:
    Unofrtunately :tsr: can have that effect. I was so proud of my GCSE grades and thought I'd done really well.......until I came on here and saw so many people with straight A*s or loads of A*s and the rest As. As others have said though, only people who care about their education use these forums, so it makes sense that they'll be the ones who get top grades. Going in to school on A-level results day and seeing a friend of mine who was genuinely pleased that she got EEU at AS really put it into perspective for me. No matter how well you do, there will always be others who do better, and as long as you've worked hard and done the best you can, you should be proud of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    yep totally agree. if u think about it, people with lower grades r less likely 2 show them off, or evn come on sumthin like the student room in the 1st place.

as long as u were initially happy then who cares

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing to show off but I still come here!

ReputationRep:
    i'll probably get every 1 having a go at me for this , but it will tend to be the AAAAA people who show them off more than the EEEEE people, why i dont really know because you would of thought people who had AAAAA had reward in itself without inflating their head to the size where they cant fit through the door. At the end of the day its an acheivement doing a levels whether u get A's or D's. What does anoy me is people who get AAAAA but stink up a fuss coz they dropped a mark on a paper.

ReputationRep:
    I think the case is that those who get multiple A's post about it, whereas those who get lower than this don't post..therefore leading to the imbalance that we see on TSR. Its either that, or TSR is breeding them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redcrewe)
    i'll probably get every 1 having a go at me for this , but it will tend to be the AAAAA people who show them off more than the EEEEE people, why i dont really know because you would of thought people who had AAAAA had reward in itself without inflating their head to the size where they cant fit through the door. At the end of the day its an acheivement doing a levels whether u get A's or D's.
    ...yes, but there are various shades of achievement, dependent on your actual grades and the situation you were in when you took the papers.

(Original post by redcrewe)
    What does anoy me is people who get AAAAA but stink up a fuss coz they dropped a mark on a paper.
    Because to some people, full marks was their aim and expectation. Anybody who fails to reach their expectations is likely to be disappointed.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.