Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i could understand if it was the fact they got a low A and got lets say 76/90 but to get something like 89/90 and get really upset coz they missed out on a mark and act like they have done badly doesnt do anyones confidence good who got a low B and are realy pleased with their mark.

ReputationRep:
    It's like someone said earlier - you can ALWAYS find people who have done better than you. I find the best solution is to try not to worry about it. After all, we're living our own lives, not other people's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redcrewe)
    What does anoy me is people who get AAAAA but stink up a fuss coz they dropped a mark on a paper.
    Or the people who are like 'I got 83/90.....I'm resitting' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I no... I really wouldn't want to put myself through the examination rigamarole and then the waiting game afterwards for the sake of a few marks if I'd have got 83/90. Talk about self-torture!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    The truth though is that everyone is aiming for perfection, so whatever they get, they'll always want to improve it. If they're willing to go rigour of the exam again, who are we to mock them. Everyone just wants to improve on what they got

ReputationRep:
    I think it shouldn't matter about the grade boundary for an A...point is you still got the highest grade going I can understand how annoying it is when you're only 2 points of a certain grade though. Hey, I only got 3C's at A Level, and I was glad...looking back now I wish I hadn't messed about so much at college BUT it got me into Uni and I'm having a great time, learning loads and should leave with a high 2.1

ReputationRep:
    What does anoy me is people who get AAAAA but stink up a fuss coz they dropped a mark on a paper.
    Well I can see their point in being irritated of one of those A grades was a 599/600 ums.
    People should always be able to aim higher - they shouldn't be forced to accept whatever they get simply because it might offend someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm doing that Only because the module will be good practice for the A2 one that's the same!

ReputationRep:
    i might have to resit 3 marks of a B

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes the results you hear on here seen to be slightly offputting, but I know my grades will get me where I want to go, so it doesn't bother me too much. What bothers me more is if I get my mark back, and I know I could have done better. For example, I got one mark off an A in politics (which was peeving in itself - 1 mark!), but I know I could have done so much better, so I'm resitting Unit 3 which I did considerably worse in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I'm doing that Only because the module will be good practice for the A2 one that's the same!
    That's different though, you're only resitting because most people in your class are, so you'll probably spend time preparing for it anyway. It's not like you burst into tears on results day because you *only* got 293/300!

ReputationRep:
    Hey again. I guess I wrote that this morning when I was feeling quite down-trodden. Definitely more positive this evening, and thanks for your comments.
    I definitely agree, to an extent at least, that grades should be taken in context in terms of Uni application (which is why I'm all for the Oxford Access Scheme forms and I heard from somebody on here that Cambridge operates a similar scheme). I guess I shouldn't be so harsh on myself when I've been through seemingly inexhaustive scary crap involving my family for the past seventeen years which undoubtedly have turned me into a bitter, twisted teenager and have probably hindered my performance because at times I haven't been able to physically do work, let alone be focused enough to retain it mentally.

At the same time, I don't think you can keep relativising your personal achievement: when you apply for a job, other people don't get to put their grades into perspective, so why ought I be able to? My Mum always moans about how she got two Es at A-level because of her "terribly oppressive childhood" (yeah, like mine was brilliant) and it really makes me not want to make excuses.

Although my Secondary school teachers knew about my situation which allowed me to hand in work late and not have any pressure put on me, I refused their offer of sending a letter to exam boards during my GCSEs to try and get me "special consideration" and made a promise to myself that I wouldn't tell any at college because I wanted to do well off my own back. I guess it's worked but I can't help feeling I should still be doing better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not feeling stupid because I got four high A grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by third_and_first)
    I'm not feeling stupid because I got four high A grades.
    Ok, just because I said I was feeling better about my results doesn't mean I'm feeling great. Kindly get run over by a slow moving steamroller.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I know what you mean. I don't just get in on here though, I'm surrounded by high achievers offline too! I have four friends with straight As at A2, whereas I got ABCC. It generally has the effect of making me feel like an idiot, but I keep going by having two things in mind:

1) I haven't actually shown my full potential in these exams because I spent most of Yrs 12 and 13 pissing about.

2) My friends work their asses off for their grades, whereas I do comparatively little and still manage to do quite well.

Maybe thinking like that would make you feel better? At the end of the day, the most important thing is that you get the grades you need to get into uni/ get the job you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    2) My friends work their asses off for their grades
    I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't.
    Congratulations then, good for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Congratulations then, good for you!
    thanks!
    Those As in General Studies, Film Studies, Media Studies and Theatre Studies were hard work, I'll have you know. I may not have revised much but my natural genius got me through!

ReputationRep:
    thanks!
    Those As in General Studies, Film Studies, Media Studies and Theatre Studies were hard work, I'll have you know. I may not have revised much but my natural genius got me through!
    You're funny.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i cant help but think that u were taking the piss some how with that post

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.