Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I got BBCC for AS level, all low scores, and I felt sooo bad about it, )almost verging on depression!!) which made me work my ass of in A2.
    I got AAAA plus 3 AEA distinctions, which just goes to show that feeling you want to better yourself will change your life at this stage. If I didnt work this year, i would have got B/Cs again, and I wouldnt have got into my law course, which means I wont get a good job when Im older, which means I would have to been a useless bum (with £m's from my dad )

ReputationRep:
    yeah but this is the thing, 4 A's is brilliant and well done to u but if you would have gotten BBCC you still would have done well, those are not bad alevel results and you could have still gone a long way with them, just because u wouldnt have had an a to ur name doesnt mean that you would have had to live on the streets or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    I got AAAA plus 3 AEA distinctions, which just goes to show that feeling you want to better yourself will change your life at this stage. If I didnt work this year, i would have got B/Cs again, and I wouldnt have got into my law course, which means I wont get a good job when Im older, which means I would have to been a useless bum (with £m's from my dad )
    That's not necessarily true. I'm not doing a law course next year and I didn't get AAAA but I bet I won't be a useless bum when I'm older! My Dad has no GCSEs (or O Levels), nor A-Levels but graduated with his MBA a couple of years ago. Now he has a job offer from IBM as a business consultant!

ReputationRep:
    maybe that was a bit of an over egsageration (sp?)

but my point is that if you feel stupid, do something about it!!
    Doing something as significant as Alevels, and not feeling happy with what you have achieved isnt good.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah i agree with that wholeheartedly, of course a kick up the back side can be good and people should be thankfull that one came sooner rather than later, i got motivated to do well in my AS year after a bad set of GCSEs and in some ways i'm glad i didnt do that well at GCSE as paradoxical as that may seem

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree with that too. After narrowly scraping into my first choice uni, I'll definitely be working hard to make up for it and get the grades I know I'm capable of!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    Well I got BBCC for AS level, all low scores, and I felt sooo bad about it, )almost verging on depression!!) which made me work my ass of in A2.

Ive just been thinking, and I just want to point out that although my grades are amazing(sorry if that sounds pretentious), it isnt really a happy ending.
    During A2 levels, I gave up all my life for work, I lost 90% of my friends, loads of people started hating me for doing well, I suffered from exhaustion, and I was addicted to sleeping pills for a period of time!!!! :eek:
    Now ive got my results, and people know about them(I can thank my school for that), the hatred has gotten worse! People are not nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    That's different though, you're only resitting because most people in your class are, so you'll probably spend time preparing for it anyway. It's not like you burst into tears on results day because you *only* got 293/300!
    True! Was v v happy. I agree with the original poster; TSR can be v discouraging, the number of people with straight A grades just keeps increasing In the end though, you have to be happy with doing the best you can do - there's always going to be someone better

ReputationRep:
    I got BBBB but I still feel bad because I know that some of my friends have got As and I put myself among them. Everytime I moan to my boyfriend (who got grades at the lower end of the spectrum, I may add), he keeps reminding me that I wasn't very well this year, at all and all the times I could have been working, I couldn't because I felt like crap and I had to take quite a bit of time off of college. I know that he's right and I met my own expectations but I can't help but feel disappointed with myself because I feel like I could have worked harder. It's giving me the incentive to balance time more efficiently, work through my illness and give it my best shot this year. If you haven't got the grades you wanted and you feel you could do better, make this year the one that counts and try your best. At the end of the day, that's the best thing you can say.

ReputationRep:
    People on TSR represent the top 10% students in the country, therefore most people here get A grades. However, exams DO NOT tell you how intelligent someone is - bear that in mind. It merely shows how they can regurgitate facts, which is admirable, but does not show that they are the next Marx or Rousseau!

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand why people have gotten the impression an A is the only good grade
    A B grade is good and its not the end of the world if u get b's c's and d's as you will get in perfectly good uni's. Any way as che stated exams dont prove if ut smart or stupid. Some people dont like the pressure of exams and therefore may get 2 grades worse than ecpected, and then there is some people who dont have all that much intelligence and dont understand what they are learning but they make a huge effort to learn it even if they dont understand it and therefore will get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    "I don't need to boost my ego by means of boasting of exceptional grades to defer from the fact that I lead a rather soul-reducing existence marked by exams and entrance to Oxbridge."

So True!

That is exactly why I don't parade my grades, in some fancy writing, all over my signature.

Some people here are just out to show off and gain some shread of superiority by means of their academic success. I mean, writing your Predicted Grades into your signature and making people read them everytime they read your post, is just ridiculous and completely unnecessary. There are even threads where you can post things like that.

Remember, its what is above the signature that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GengisKahn)
    Yeah, I feel dumb as well. I don't even have the breakdown of my marks yet (I rank my school up to find out). I got AAAA, but then all these others come along and say "I got AAAAa" or "AAAAA" or "I did a history a-level on top of my other 5 A-levels"... and it makes my grades look crap, and me feel merely mediocre, although I know I'm in the top 3% of entrants in the country (who gain strings of "A"s).

And then the media with their barf about "A-Levels are too simple" etc... it makes me think that gaining straight "A"s is the least you have to do to be classed as 'average' these days by the media. "Oh, he's got AAAAAAAAAA, so what, the exams were simple". No. They. Weren't. Grrr.
    Id hate to overachieve. Id be looked on as a geek.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Some people here are just out to show off and gain some shread of superiority by means of their academic success. I mean, writing your Predicted Grades into your signature and making people read them everytime they read your post, is just ridiculous and completely unnecessary. There are even threads where you can post things like that.
    There is also an option to not view signatures. Use it if you must. On a music board it is OK to have something music related in your sig. On a sports board it is OK to have something sports related in your sig. Why is it such a big deal to have something academic in your sig on an academic forum.

Some people are proud of their acheivments - deal with it

And besides, your sig is not exactly a shining example of relevance and necessarity (I know that is not a word but just pretend it is) :p:

ReputationRep:
    Acheivments? How is a prediction an acheivment?

Some people have intresting sigs, if I could turn off those "academic" (which means - 'Im predicted all A*s; Really I am; Honestly; OK now, someone give me a medal and someone take notice of that!'), then I would.

And my sig? Im sorry but I don't want to tell people what kind of grades I am going to get.

Would you like to me to? Be more "academic"? Increase my level of relevancy and 'necessarity'? Hmm? Why I don't tell everyone? I could write all my subjects, grades, scores in each individual exam, teachers, boards, predictions and my feeling on each exam? Even before I actually get my results.

Wouldn't that be intresting? *rolls eyes*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    There is also an option to not view signatures. Use it if you must. On a music board it is OK to have something music related in your sig. On a sports board it is OK to have something sports related in your sig. Why is it such a big deal to have something academic in your sig on an academic forum.

Some people are proud of their acheivments - deal with it

And besides, your sig is not exactly a shining example of relevance and necessarity (I know that is not a word but just pretend it is) :p:
    You have to admit though, it can seem quite arrogant.

And I think the word you're looking for is 'necessity' :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes that would be the one As for arrogant, I don't think it is that arrogant to state your grades or whatever as it is just stating a fact that is semi-relevant to :tsr: and there is no indication that you think it makes you any better than anyone else. I am sure no-one would take offense from a sig that says "I have brown hair"

Vazzyb: I don't care what you do with your sig however it is hypocritical to call someone's sig "completely unnecessary" when the majority of yours consists of the word "w00t" and few random smileys. BTW, I think you will find that 99% of sigs containing grades/predictions do not directly ask for any praise and just state grades

ReputationRep:
    You and I aren't the arrogant attitudes which I was talking about. So don't bring those into the matter.

The problem is I can't point out which sigs I mean, because I don't want to directly offend them like that. And you will find that there are LOADS of pretentious, irrtating and arrogant sigs about.

You will find that some people have a great problem with modesty. Why not have something with a bit more humility?

Anyway, there is no point aimlessly arguing with me. I have my belief, you have yours.

Now if there was ever something to pick a fight about with you, it would be about your constant insulting attitude towards my beloved signature!!!

I think its lovely Would you like me to change it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    Ah yes that would be the one As for arrogant, I don't think it is that arrogant to state your grades or whatever as it is just stating a fact that is semi-relevant to :tsr: and there is no indication that you think it makes you any better than anyone else. I am sure no-one would take offense from a sig that says "I have brown hair"
    Sigs like that may be meant as a statement of fact, but to be honest a lot of the time it does come across as arrogant. The worst ones are those in huge big bright letters because it always seems that people are trying to draw attention to them and show off. Oh, and the ones which are like:

English Lit - A*
    English Lang - A*
    Maths - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Biology - A*
    Physics - A*
    History - A*
    Geography - A*
    French - A*
    German - A*
    RE - A*

What's wrong with just saying "GCSEs - Eng Lit/Lang, Maths, Triple Science, History, Geography, French, German, RE - A*". Listing them all looks really unnecessary and frankly, boastful. Not to mention the ones which are like:

AS Levels - Maths (A - 300/300), Further Maths (A - 300/300), Physics (A - 300/300), Chemistry (A - 300/300), Biology (A - 296/300 - GRR! Getting it remarked :mad: )

Now that can only be for the purpose of showing off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Sigs like that may be meant as a statement of fact, but to be honest a lot of the time it does come across as arrogant. The worst ones are those in huge big bright letters because it always seems that people are trying to draw attention to them and show off. Oh, and the ones which are like:

English Lit - A*
    English Lang - A*
    Maths - A*
    Chemistry - A*
    Biology - A*
    Physics - A*
    History - A*
    Geography - A*
    French - A*
    German - A*
    RE - A*

What's wrong with just saying "GCSEs - Eng Lit/Lang, Maths, Triple Science, History, Geography, French, German, RE - A*". Listing them all looks really unnecessary and frankly, boastful. Not to mention the ones which are like:

AS Levels - Maths (A - 300/300), Further Maths (A - 300/300), Physics (A - 300/300), Chemistry (A - 300/300), Biology (A - 296/300 - GRR! Getting it remarked :mad: )

Now that can only be for the purpose of showing off.
    lol! 4 marks :eek:

But yea, exactly. Just, I didn't want to give examples. :p: Thats why I said to shyopstv that we weren't talking about his sig at all.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.