The Student Room Group

what's a page, what's a side!!

This has been bugging me for a while:

What is a page, is it both sides of one piece of paper or is it just one side of that piece of paper, if so what is the difference between a side and a page.
And if a page is a defined as one piece of paper(i.e both sides) then why in a book or anything its called a page number should it not be called a side number!!!

Ahhh what do you think

ps: ignore it if you don't understand what i am going on about.
Reply 1
ƒlå®è®
This has been bugging me for a while:

What is a page, is it both sides of one piece of paper or is it just one side of that piece of paper, if so what is the difference between a side and a page.
And if a page is a defined as one piece of paper(i.e both sides) then why in a book or anything its called a page number should it not be called a side number!!!

Ahhh what do you think

ps: ignore it if you don't understand what i am going on about.

yeah ive never understood that either.....but in america when the teacher says one page she is generally refering to one side, and when you say one sheet, you are refering to both sides....
Reply 2
The way I understand it is, a page is both sides and this is the same as a sheet. A side is one side of the page only.
Reply 3
Adhsur
The way I understand it is, a page is both sides and this is the same as a sheet. A side is one side of the page only.

Yes, thats how i have understood it but why do each individual "side" has a page number?
Reply 4
ƒlå®è®
Yes, thats how i have understood it but why do each individual "side" has a page number?

A side is one side of an piece of paper, so it has a page number because you would have to turn it over to read any more, a page is both sides of the paper.
Lord Huntroyde
A side is one side of an piece of paper, so it has a page number because you would have to turn it over to read any more, a page is both sides of the paper.

I have always thought of it that way as well.

Say someone wants you to look at the front and back of a sheet of paper, they would say 'look on both sides', not 'look on both pages' because that would sound quite stupid.

Latest

Trending

Trending