Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Don't feel I know enough about it to have a concrete view, and I haven't become immediately struck by moral arguments either way. Which is why I confined myself to the practical. Of course, I favour life imprisonment over execution but I suppose you'd guessed that, and it doesnt necessarily follow that it has to be either/or.
    Just shows that you shouldnt make assumptions...
    That's quite admirable. You've made me think twice about it anyway, so your opinions do not go unappreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feltree)
    Nobody in this world has the right to decide about the life of a person.
    It´s a crime, no justification is possible, we can separate the criminals from the comunity, sending them to the prison, but nothing else.
    why have prisons?

i'm sure we could solve more having an actual city/community for prisoners themselves; they'd work for everything they needed and would never be arouund the supposed "innocent" people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    But then, to play devil's advocate, you have to way up the cost of keeping a murderer in prison for the rest of his life against executing him after trial. The prisons are overcrowded enough as it is... I suppose they could always be put to use in some respectable medical testing programme!

why then not get rid of the lesser problem prisoners?

the murderers, people who have "earned" the death penalty should have their own prison somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I am strongly FOR the death penalty for personal reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae)
    is prison, or should prison be about reformation or punishment?

level one: reformation

level two(if they had a problem with reformation): punishment

level three: reformation...

etc...

"one good deed does not make up for the life of evil ones he has committed."

"but it seems as if it is enough to condem him?"

or if you'd like:

"one evil deed erases the life of good deeds he has done; and is enough to condemn him?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semiloserfreak)
    why have prisons?

i'm sure we could solve more having an actual city/community for prisoners themselves; they'd work for everything they needed and would never be arouund the supposed "innocent" people.
    Like that movie with Kurt Russell....Escape from New York

ReputationRep:
    Crime is out of control and yobs rule our communities.

I say hang em!

ReputationRep:
    I think that in certain situations the death penalty is better...but it has to be situation decisions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semiloserfreak)
    level one: reformation

level two(if they had a problem with reformation): punishment

level three: reformation...

[/i]
    But the outcome of a prisoner's "problem with reformation" would be re-committing. I believe in prisons. The death penalty was eridicated on the faith that "life would mean life". The justice system is unjust for the victims and their families and also for the prisoners (not being punished/reformed/educated properly whilst inside).

ReputationRep:
    I beleive that execution does not solve anything, if anything it gives an easy way out for some people. What is worse, spending your remaining life in prison, or being killed. If you are killed you have little time to contemplate your crimes, but life will mean you will regret doing it, as your freedom has been removed for a very long time.
    Why do you think there is suicide in prison, people cannot face what they have done and so take the easy way out.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.