This discussion is closed.
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tessie)
i disagree with the death penalty, there are some crimes perhaps where it is deserved, but what if the wrong person is convicted?
i read somewhere that it was studied in america and 1 in 10 people executed was actually innocent... scary eh?
not with the DNA testing.......:rolleyes:
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i disagree with the death penalty, there are some crimes perhaps where it is deserved, but what if the wrong person is convicted?
i read somewhere that it was studied in america and 1 in 10 people executed was actually innocent... scary eh?
This is of course the main problem with death penalty. If a person is proven innocent after the judgement has been carried out, theres no way to free the prisioner. Having said that, being imprisioned for Life even though you are innocent is almost as bad and possibly worse than being executed. The real dilemma is how strong evidence must be in order to pass a conviction. Have it to strict, and criminals will walk free. Have it to lax, and innocent will be convicted.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
not with the DNA testing.......:rolleyes:
Even though DNA testing is accurate, it is not always available in order to determine if a suspect is indeed the murderer. In addition, the technology is extremely accurate, but you stil have a human factor. Samples can be mixed up.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thats your thoughts for now. But what happens if your daughter/son gets raped then killed. Do you still let the killers go free in 30 years or do you demand the death sentence?
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I'm sorry, was there a point to this post?
If it was meant to be an attack on my argument then it is completely ineffectual.
No it wasn't intended as such, get over yourself. I was merely paving the way for more discussion.
rIcHrD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
Thats your thoughts for now. But what happens if your daughter/son gets raped then killed. Do you still let the killers go free in 30 years or do you demand the death sentence?
Sighs...
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rIcHrD)
Sighs...
And what is your point?
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And what is your point?
i think he was pointing out the emotions dont matter side!

im going to dinner bbl in about 30
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And what is your point?
I think he is exhausted.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Either way, answer the argument or get out. Simple as that.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Either way, answer the argument or get out. Simple as that.
Perhaps he is uncapeable of doing such?
tessie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i woulnt demand the death sentance as i live in australia its not an option. also if u condem someone to be executed in my opinion that makes u as bad as the murdurer.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i woulnt demand the death sentance as i live in australia its not an option. also if u condem someone to be executed in my opinion that makes u as bad as the murdurer.
You maybe will be sayign that now, but once you experienced first hand teh grief of losing someone, then the emotion will get over you.

We are in the UK, and have had a murder of 2 girls, and we have debated this about whether to execute the murderer.

After all in the US they do it.
tessie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You maybe will be sayign that now, but once you experienced first hand teh grief of losing someone, then the emotion will get over you.

We are in the UK, and have had a murder of 2 girls, and we have debated this about whether to execute the murderer.

After all in the US they do it.
yeah if i lost someone i probably would want the person that did it dead, but just cos something is personal doesnt make it right.
also its terribly thaty 2 girls got murdered but if u use the death penalty once ull use it again and again and then ull start convicting the worng people... what good comes of killing someone? it just means ur sinking to their level (well thats my opinion anyway)
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
2 girls got murdered but if u use the death penalty once ull use it again and again and then ull start convicting the worng people... (well thats my opinion anyway)
Correct, my feelings as well. But the other verdict for Ian Huntly, is that he would be free in 30 years (or so).
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Correct, my feelings as well. But the other verdict for Ian Huntly, is that he would be free in 30 years (or so).
well, there is a pro and con for everything
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In my opinion, the death penalty is fairly barbaric. It is following an instinct that craves swift revenge without really considering what it achieves. Is there not a chance that people can change? I just think it is a remarkably uncivilised thing to do for a civilised nation.

However, I would say that a life prison sentence should be longer than 24 years (or whatever it is) without a chance of getting out earlier. But killing the criminal seems to go too far.
lala
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
As we know, the concept of human rights and humanity is not something written into our genes or biologically viable, it is a general set of rules written by humans for humans.
Interestingly, The Universal Declaration of Human Rights 1948 has incorporated most of the human rights. It has specially enshrined the protection of the right to life. However, Article 29 recognises that human rights and fundamental freedoms are subject to limits. Though it didn't specify clearly, it is presumed that by imposing death penalty (which i do not support), right to life may be curtailed in certain circumstances. The death penalty is the only exception that is mentioned in Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
I am not surprised that such an exception was made, since it was convenient for the powers that be of the time (powers that were, I guess) to exclude the death penalty. The people who drew that up were childre of their time, and operated in a world where the appalling barbarity of state sponsored execution was the norm.
However, that doesnt change the fact that to execute anyone contravenes the basic human right to life, which must be accorded to us all be it convenient or not. Of course there are human freedoms which are subject to limits, but human rights are not. It is never acceptable to violate these rights, and that includes execution.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
murderers cud be classed as no different frm mentally ill therefore they r not fully responsible 4 their actions
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I agree actually. Nobody knows what death feels like for certain. It could be good, could be bad.

But we know that prisons are a bad place to be and that's what we want to give our murderers.
yea prisoners shud be made to work though as this cud reduce tax payments and is a deterrent to other criminals. prisoners now have a better life than workers and just doss about
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads