Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    yea prisoners shud be made to work though as this cud reduce tax payments and is a deterrent to other criminals. prisoners now have a better life than workers and just doss about
    Chain Gangs. America's only great achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    murderers cud be classed as no different frm mentally ill therefore they r not fully responsible 4 their actions
    I do not agree. Some murderers are clearly mentally ill, but it doesn't mean that if you murder someone you must be suffering from a mental illness. Using that logic, a lot of violent people have a personality disorder in which they are more likely to act out their aggression. This personality disorder can be classed as an illness, as they are not what we would call of good mental health. Should these people not be fully responsibility for their actions because they suffer from an illness? I think not, we already have sanctions in place to send truly "mentally ill" murderers to secure psychiatric hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    yea prisoners shud be made to work though as this cud reduce tax payments and is a deterrent to other criminals. prisoners now have a better life than workers and just doss about
    That's why we should make prison more like a place people wouldn't want to be.

ReputationRep:
    is prison, or should prison be about reformation or punishment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    i dont think there should be a death sentance, suffering in prison is far worse. When you die everythings over, and you wont feel bad anymore. Suffering in jail with guilt is far worse.
    suffering in jaill?!? They don't suffer there they have better conditions than some normal civilised people in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    No it wasn't intended as such, get over yourself. I was merely paving the way for more discussion.

ok I'm sorry if I over-reacted but the fact remains your post had absolutely no content and did not pave the way for more discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    ok I'm sorry if I over-reacted but the fact remains your post had absolutely no content and did not pave the way for more discussion.
    Guess I over reacted too. I realise that it appeared that I was analysing what you said, then going over with a fine tooth comb. However, what I meant was, that those where my opinions and you are quite free to debate them if you wish, hence paving the wasy for more discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Guess I over reacted too. I realise that it appeared that I was analysing what you said, then going over with a fine tooth comb. However, what I meant was, that those where my opinions and you are quite free to debate them if you wish, hence paving the wasy for more discussion.

So what exactly are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    Either way, answer the argument or get out. Simple as that.
    Sighs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessie)
    i woulnt demand the death sentance as i live in australia its not an option. also if u condem someone to be executed in my opinion that makes u as bad as the murdurer.
    not if ure looking at it as though the aim is to get rid of the criminal so they dont kill other ppl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    not if ure looking at it as though the aim is to get rid of the criminal so they dont kill other ppl
    wel i know that guilt would take over if it were me. I think criminals should be made to work, I know thats a very general area to say but i cant really think what to do write now.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm not an avid supporter of the death penalty, I think arguments suggesting the death penalty as being 'barbaric' should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    The murder of an unarmed police officer is barbaric. To rob his distraught widow of a husband is barbaric. The trouble is that there are no deterrents any more. The criminals know it, the police know it. The only people who appear NOT to know it are those mealy-mouthed liberals who make our laws.
    Those same people who have 24-hour round-the-clock protection by officers who would lay down their lives to protect them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    After ths attack on a policeman on boxing day, and the holly and jessica trials, the issue of the death penalty inevitably comes up...i was just wondering what people thought about it?
    i'm against it. the main reason being - what if they get the wrong person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    i'm against it. the main reason being - what if they get the wrong person?
    I don't think that is the major issue in deciding whether to have a death penalty or not. The overwhelming evidence needed to execute someone in other countries rarely throws up miscarriages of justice. People are more concerned about civil liberties etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am personally completely against the death penalty.

For starters, no matter what crime someone has committed, as a civilised society we should not stoop down to that same level.

Secondly, I believe that the death penalty is an easy way out and that the prospect of spending your entire life in prison is a much better punishment.

Thirdly, the death penalty does give rise to the issue of people being put to death and then later evidence showing that they were not in fact guilty.

That's my opinion anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I am personally completely against the death penalty.

For starters, no matter what crime someone has committed, as a civilised society we should not stoop down to that same level.

Secondly, I believe that the death penalty is an easy way out and that the prospect of spending your entire life in prison is a much better punishment.

Thirdly, the death penalty does give rise to the issue of people being put to death and then later evidence showing that they were not in fact guilty.

That's my opinion anyways.
    yeah!

And make them work for their food.

ReputationRep:
    I do not agree with the death penalty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    yeah!

And make them work for their food.
    i agree too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm against the death penalty, cause it is kind of an easy way out for the criminals. But is the purpose of the criminal justice system to punish criminals, or to protect the public from criminals?

But I agree with all thats been said about makin prison a place where criminals really don't want to be.

mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodmeister)
    I'm against the death penalty, cause it is kind of an easy way out for the criminals. But is the purpose of the criminal justice system to punish criminals, or to protect the public from criminals?

But I agree with all thats been said about makin prison a place where criminals really don't want to be.

mark

But then, to play devil's advocate, you have to way up the cost of keeping a murderer in prison for the rest of his life against executing him after trial. The prisons are overcrowded enough as it is... I suppose they could always be put to use in some respectable medical testing programme!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.