Turn on thread page Beta

Death penalty? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    If you can give me an accurate perception of the state of his mind and his ability to kill then you can have a glass of milk as well. The point I was trying to make was that we are not mind-readers and trusting people to have 'reformed' is based on judgement which is certainly not 100% flawless.
    For an accurate perception of his state of mind, I can only refer you to one of his poems;
    http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Worksh...gs/travel.html
    The justice system is flawed in all quarters, you have to set boundaries somewhere for allowing people to leave prision. Prision should be about reform, and can you expect people to bother to reform if they know they are definitely going to spend the rest of their life in prision?

ReputationRep:
    God, people agreeing with me? Victoria Beckham will be singing decently next!
    Hey hey hey... let's not say things we can't take back lol. Singing in tune first. Gotta crawl before you can walk ya know hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sazzles)
    For an accurate perception of his state of mind, I can only refer you to one of his poems;
    http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Worksh...gs/travel.html
    The justice system is flawed in all quarters, you have to set boundaries somewhere for allowing people to leave prision. Prision should be about reform, and can you expect people to bother to reform if they know they are definitely going to spend the rest of their life in prision?
    I wouldn't expect prisoners with life sentences to reform. In my opinion, life should mean life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Hey hey hey... let's not say things we can't take back lol. Singing in tune first. Gotta crawl before you can walk ya know hehe
    We'll gradually phase out the electrical voice adjustments and she'll be half way there

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't expect prisoners with life sentences to reform. In my opinion, life should mean life.
    *nods* If you do the crime, you do the time. No excuses really, unless your partner is screwing around etc, then you have liable claims for a bit of temporary insanity, but still time should be served.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think that if a lifer can reform and provide some benefit to society, then that's good? By saying life is life, you're preventing the ability to repay society in part, for what they have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    After ths attack on a policeman on boxing day, and the holly and jessica trials, the issue of the death penalty inevitably comes up...i was just wondering what people thought about it?
    I think a lifetime's hard labour would be the best punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    *nods* If you do the crime, you do the time. No excuses really, unless your partner is screwing around etc, then you have liable claims for a bit of temporary insanity, but still time should be served.
    Men in Texas can easily dodge any punishment if they kill their wife if she is screwing around, but a mentally disturbed child can be condemned to death in NY?
    Am I the only one who sees a problem?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think that if a lifer can reform and provide some benefit to society, then that's good? By saying life is life, you're preventing the ability to repay society in part, for what they have done.
    The best way they can benifit society is by not being allowed back into it.

ReputationRep:
    The best way they can benifit society is by not being allowed back into it.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Men in Texas can easily dodge any punishment if they kill their wife if she is screwing around, but a mentally disturbed child can be condemned to death in NY?
    Am I the only one who sees a problem?
    A mentally disturbed child who murdered someone hear would be sent to a secure psychiatric hospital. A psychiatric hospital is different to prison. People are sent to prison of adequate state of mind. I do not think a mentally ill child should endure the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    There is no way someone can repay the loss of a member of society through murder. The best place they should be is locked away where they can not damage society even more. The person who they killed doesn't get a second chance, why should they? I don't think murderers can be truly reformed so to stop them being released back into society, it is in people's interests to keep them in detention.

ReputationRep:
    A mentally disturbed child who murdered someone hear would be sent to a secure psychiatric hospital. A psychiatric hospital is different to prison. People are sent to prison of adequate state of mind. I do not think a mentally ill child should endure the death penalty.
    You are the one who pointed out you cannot know someone's mind 100%, so how can you know whether they are mentally disabled or of adequate state of mind and where should the line be drawn? Would the child have to stay in the secure hospital for life?

ReputationRep:
    There is no way someone can repay the loss of a member of society through murder. The best place they should be is locked away where they can not damage society even more. The person who they killed doesn't get a second chance, why should they? I don't think murderers can be truly reformed so to stop them being released back into society, it is in people's interests to keep them in detention.
    Would you say my example of Sal Agron was not a true reformation, in what way is it not?

ReputationRep:
    You are the one who pointed out you cannot know someone's mind 100%, so how can you know whether they are mentally disabled or of adequate state of mind and where should the line be drawn? Would the child have to stay in the secure hospital for life?
    Mental illnesses can be diagnosed by a Psychiatrist. What the person is thinking can not. I can't say how long "the child" should be kept in secure hospital for because it's too generalised. If the child was likely to kill again because of his mental illness, then yes. It also depends on the age of the child, as in knowing what they did was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Mental illnesses can be diagnosed by a Psychiatrist. What the person is thinking can not. I can't say how long "the child" should be kept in secure hospital for because it's too generalised. If the child was likely to kill again because of his mental illness, then yes. It also depends on the age of the child, as in knowing what they did was wrong.
    So if a mentally disturbed child is cured of his/her illness as much as possible with mental illnesses, and would not kill again, woudl they be let out? And is that a parrellel to someone considered mentally sound, who reforms?

ReputationRep:
    Would you say my example of Sal Agron was not a true reformation, in what way is it not?
    I assume he was given a life sentence because he intentionally took another person's life. That should stand regardless. Most murderers can show remorse and 'reform' if their aim was to get out of prison early. How can anyone possibly distinguish what someone is thinking?

ReputationRep:
    I assume he was given a life sentence because he intentionally took another person's life. That should stand regardless. Most murderers can show remorse and 'reform' if their aim was to get out of prison early. How can anyone possibly distinguish what someone is thinking?
    If you can't distinguish what someone is thinking you can't know that they're not reformed either. He had a pretty disturbing childhood, should that have any relevance?

ReputationRep:
    If you can't distinguish what someone is thinking you can't know that they're not reformed either. He had a pretty disturbing childhood, should that have any relevance?
    I presume most murderers had a causation for their acts. Doesn't mean they should be released because they show remorse and 'reform'. If even one murderer was released as a 'reformed' character and went on to kill again, this would be one too many. This should never be given the chance to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Murderers should forgo their rights as humans at the moment when they take away the rights of another human. By wielding such a powerful punishment as the response to murder, society is affirming the value that is placed upon the right to life of the innocent person. Many more innocent people have been killed by released, paroled or escaped murderers than those that have been 'truly reformed'.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.