Turn on thread page Beta

Flawed Education System. The government should be put under pressure for change. watch

Examinations are not a matter of what you know, they are a matter of saying what the examiner wants you to say. Fair points are dismissed because they are not on the marking list. Why should our education be centred on examinations? This just destroys the enjoyment of learning and forces STUDENTS and teachers to come under pressure. The government are obviously very worried teachers and headteachers are not doing their jobs properly. If this is the case why don't the minsters try to do it better. The amount of paperwork teachers have it is amazing any join the profession. I guess this is why the government have introduced money incentives to bribe the teachers and in the usual government fashion to use tax payers money to hide their very flawed system.

ReputationRep:
    bravo my friend. the system is indeed flawed, but unfortunately our beloved government chooses to bury their heads in the sand rather than ask the people who really know...US. so, here's to mr blair and all the other emus running our country.i really should take some st. john's wort today i think, cake x

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Examinations are not a matter of what you know, they are a matter of saying what the examiner wants you to say. Fair points are dismissed because they are not on the marking list. Why should our education be centred on examinations? This just destroys the enjoyment of learning and forces STUDENTS and teachers to come under pressure. The government are obviously very worried teachers and headteachers are not doing their jobs properly. If this is the case why don't the minsters try to do it better. The amount of paperwork teachers have it is amazing any join the profession. I guess this is why the government have introduced money incentives to bribe the teachers and in the usual government fashion to use tax payers money to hide their very flawed system.
    I think the focus on examinations is grounded on a rational basis, but the government has taken it too far. Examinations allow students to become goal orientated, help discern academically successful students from those that are not, and see how well a school is doing. Although it isn't a perfect measurement, it's a good one.

But yeah, I agree, perhaps only every two years rather than every year.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that the system really needs to change. Furthermore, I totally agree that the exams are often not about what you do know but about what the examiners think is a good answer, especially in subjects such as english. I remember in a-level english, we did an exam in january and the examiners said that we didn't use enough linguistic features and focused our attention on stage features instead. So when it came to other retakes in june, we used too many linguistic features and not enough stage features. Does that make sense? Anyway, what I am trying to say is that it often depends on who is marking the paper to what kind of result you get. Some examiners are going to be stricter than others. Furthermore, was anything ever sorted out about the exam boards changing people's grades? How any papers were remarked in the end? Do you think it would be a better idea to just have one exam board, whether it be an existig one or a new one or one ran by the government? Also, (sorry but you've got me started now) why are the government planning on putting tuition fees (etc etc) up, when they want more "normal" people entering into higher education? Surely it would be a better idea to decrease the fees. Oh yeah and back to the exams, it is well know by psychologists that people do not perform to th best of their ability in exams and most psychology teachers I have spoken to don't believe that so many exams should be used. If this is true, why do we do so many exams again? Surely this is a disadvantage to those people who perform poorly in exams but do well in things such as coursework. Im sure we have all been in the situation when you go into the exam knowing everything but as soon as you open the exam paper, all the revision you have done seems to disappear.

I have some friends who are doing A levels, and they are SO GLAD they had half of their exams last year, because now they are under no pressure whatsoever and can basically relax... I, on the otherhand, have ALL of my exams within 10 days (that's 6 subjects, by the way...) - O the joys of I.B.! From one point of view this means I had an EXCELLENT first year, but on the other hand, if I fail these exams I am DOOMED... hmmmm! Although exams are an absolute PITA, I would much rather do revision than coursework, personally...
    I guess students who perform better in coursework than exams would be better suited to vocational courses...?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.