Turn on thread page Beta

scottish people = more friendly? watch

ReputationRep:
    After coming back from holiday in Glasgow..it got me thinking..really random but anyway..scottish people seem so so so friendly in comparison to english people? and i found it to have a slightly less racist feeling than england? i dunno..what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    I find that once they hear your accent is english they become quite rude, hating the english and all. This is not all of them mind,

ReputationRep:
    I think that Scottish people can be extreeemely friendly, I went to Glasgow for a day a wee while back and it was a friendly place to be although I'd imagine there's exceptions to this, as with any place! I didn't come accross any unfriendly people while I was there though!

ReputationRep:
    There must be for the "glaswegian handshake" thing to be borne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    There must be for the "glaswegian handshake" thing to be borne.
    lol it's called a "Glasgow kiss". Coming from Glasgow myself I can say that there are *definitely* some unfriendly people here but on the whole I would say people are pretty decent. Glasgow seems to have a very strong character and its own sense of humour (see Chewin the Fat, Still Game etc) but it equally has quite a sinister side. It can be a very bigoted place and there is still quite a lot of sectarianism here unfortunately. I think Scotland's pretty much like any other place, there are nice and not so nice people.

ReputationRep:
    whats a glasgow handshake/kiss :confused:
    Yeah, I've been there 4 years in a row every summer..there are a fair share of uh..[insert naughty word here] but the majority seem lovely. if only england were as friendly...

ReputationRep:
    What I've always been surprised by is the number of Scots who hate Scotland and other Scots. It's always extreme: either they believe the Scots invented the world: check out this book "How the Scots Invented The Modern World" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...68043?v=glance
    :rolleyes:
    or they think Scotland is the *****iest place ever with the biggest ********s in the world

Not sure what people mean as friendly anyway. What is friendly?
    - The way that in the US, pretty much anyone will talk to you in the street (but then if you make a "friend", they might totally ignore you the next day)
    - The way that people are touchy-feely in latin countries but the touchy-feeliness means nothing
    - How people in Northern Europe, once you gain their trust, will be the nicest most loyal friends ever?
    - How people in South East Asia respect your privacy and try not to offend you?

To me, "friendly" often doesn't mean anything and it totally depends on which culture you were brought up in.

ReputationRep:
    Well I meant friendly as in very talkative to even strangers and just acting plain nice in their tone of voice etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairygirl21)
    Well I meant friendly as in very talkative to even strangers and just acting plain nice in their tone of voice etc.
    hmmm but is that really being friendly? I question that.

ReputationRep:
    Well like you said, everyone has different views on what friendly is and I consider it as friendly.

ReputationRep:
    i work in a call centre and i find scottish people to be the rudest tightest people that ring in.

ReputationRep:
    I have only ever met 3 Scottish people. The two guys that I met were the most hilarious people I have ever met! So funny and friendly!! And I LOVE the accent!!

ReputationRep:
    Yep we're the friendliest :p:

We're actually not. I find us to be a lot more aggressive than the English especially due to sectarianism.

ReputationRep:
    i have to say the IRISH are nicer ...

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a few Scottish mates out the Army and ive got to say they are sound as a pound. Very funny, and not disrespectful to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themesong)
    i have to say the IRISH are nicer ...
    Only Northern Irish.

If you're not part of the UK, you're not nice.

ReputationRep:
    What the ****? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilal786)
    What the ****? :mad:
    apart from Bilal

ReputationRep:
    being scottish and from a small town i can say it is a friendly place anybody new is welcomed since its a small town a new face is often noticed quick

i like to think im friendly though in response to the guy from the call centre we scots don't like being ripped off or whatever it is you do there. we speak up if there is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    i'm northern irish so it counts, right?

and yeh the Scotts r great! aye!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.